diamond ring chop cup load

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Pepka

diamond ring chop cup load

Postby Pepka » December 3rd, 2005, 4:30 pm

Had a fantastic experienc last night, not sure if it belongs here, so Richard and Dustin feel free to move it.

After my regular restaurant gig last night, I had been invited to a VIP party for a new restaurant opening. I knew I was being invited as a friend, but would probably be asked to do a trick or two. I left my bag in my car, but as always had a deck and a few coins in my pocket. I was immediately asked to do something and I obliged. Someone told me that there was another guy doing card tricks. Sure enough, it was a magician that was hired named John Westford. I immediately put my stuff away, not wanting to attempt to steal his thunder. I watched and John hadn't recognized me and we had some humorous byplay during his routine, (which was wonderful, he's a real worker.) Once he recognized me I was asked to do something else and I said only if John wanted me to. John said sure, go ahead. I did Gary Kurtz's version of remember and forget and John and the spectators were very complimentary. John then went in to a great chopcup routine. I'm watching like a hawk, and as he reveals his final load, it's a ring box. After a moment, a spectator grabbed it and dropped to one knee and popped the question to his girlfriend, who of course said yes. The place went nuts. John leans over to me and says, "In the words of Jerry Lee Lewis 'You're on boy'"!
Needless to say, after that, no one wanted to watch a card trick, this had been set up hours in advance. Once John's time was up we sat around and shared moves and did a few more tricks for the crowd. The crowd was talking all night about the engagement and the "dueling magicians." It was such a blast and I just want to say what a class act John is and it was a pleasure to get to see a solid worker in action.

Re: diamond ring chop cup load

Postby Guest » December 3rd, 2005, 10:20 pm

Thats a great story, and let me be the first to say:

awwwwww.

Thats a heck of a final load though: a marriage proposal...

how do you top that?

Return to “Close-Up Magic”