The Faro Shuffle

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

The Faro Shuffle

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2005, 9:11 pm

I'm working on my faro shuffle after learning it from Lorayne's Close-Up Card Magic. While the book does teach the basics of the faro, it does not have too great of a break down on this move, in my opinion.

I was wondering if there are other books out there(no videos)that teach the faro shuffle in great detail that could compliment my learning it from the Lorayne book? Thanks!

Roberto

Don

Re: The Faro Shuffle

Postby Don » February 9th, 2005, 9:59 pm

mrmagik, you may find this interesting.

im the type of guy who likes to learn sleights first, and then find tricks that utilize the sleight i learned. i dont know why, but i do that quite a lot.

i learned the faro shuffle when i was in the 11th grade i think. i learned this wonderful sleight literally all by myself. all i knew was that the ends of both halves of the deck needed to be weaved together. from my experience you dont need any explanations on how to do the sleight. all you have to do is practice, practice, practice... and then practice some more. you will find out what you need to do to make the shuffle work.

dont spend money on a book or video. if you want some tips just e mail me at pyned001!@hawaii.rr.com :genii:

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 9th, 2005, 10:54 pm

MrMagik,

There are several, but the best sources (in my opinion) are Marlos Revolutionary Card Technique (and if you dont want the whole book, you can probably still pick up the booklet which was simply titled The Faro Shuffle) and Roberto Giobbis Card College 3. Like you, I learned it from Close-up Card Magic and refined it through a boatload of practice (literally: I lived on a boat during that period of my life). You need to know that Loraynes version is a top down weave while the Marlo version is a bottom up weave! Even though I studied the Marlo booklet, I didnt change: Im still a top down kind-a-guy. The Giobbi method is top down, so that might help you decide which book to go after. (While a hefty investment, I think that the Card College series is indispensable.)

Dustin

Postby Guest » February 10th, 2005, 12:05 am

I recommend this video:

ALLAN ACKERMAN'S ADVANCED CARD CONTROL SERIES
Vol. 6
THE FARO SHUFFLE
Allan Ackerman
http://www.a1magicalmedia.com/

Postby Guest » February 11th, 2005, 12:04 am

Gentlemen,
Many thanks for your suggestions.

rage,
You're definitely right, this is a move that you have to "live with" for some time in order to perfect it.

Dustin,
I'm very big on reading from books, I will definitely look up both of the books you recommended.

Roberto

Postby Guest » February 11th, 2005, 10:29 am

Here's a tip someone gave me that made a world of difference in learning it (at least done with a bottom-up weave): When you start to interlace the halves stick the tip of your left little finger in the "v" created by the touching corners of the deck. This creates a guide/support for the halves which facilitates an easier shuffle.

Don

Postby Don » February 11th, 2005, 11:13 am

absolutely right. it helps out tremendously in controling an in or out faro.

marlo explains it in his faro chapter and ackerman does as well in his faro dvd.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 11th, 2005, 10:40 pm

I hope you are working on the ONLY FARO that is worthwhile... the Table Faro. Steven Youell has a great DVD explaining this in great detail.
Stay tooned.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 12th, 2005, 12:21 am

Hello,

For information, there's also lessons on three faro methods on Bastard Hard Moves made Easy; two handed, one handed and tabled.

Take care, Ian

Don

Postby Don » February 12th, 2005, 12:37 am

i disagree pete.

why not learn both? they are both good to learn. doing the tabled faro might not be practical in some scenarios. you shouldnt limit yourself to only doing the tabled faro.

i think tabled faros are definately good for gambling stuff, but for other effects i dont think it is necessary.

just my opinion, but i think im right on this one.

Dave

Postby Dave » February 19th, 2005, 10:42 pm

michael close's Faro CD is also worth a look. It fully explains an in the hands bottom up faro.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”