What Do You Say?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

What Do You Say?

Postby Guest » February 19th, 2005, 1:46 am

Hello all,
I was wondering what are some good outs for when someone who you've just performed an effect for asks you to repeat it? What do you say?

Roberto

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: What Do You Say?

Postby Matthew Field » February 19th, 2005, 2:54 am

I generally say something like, "You've already seen that one. Here's another one I also think you'll like."

Matt Field

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » February 19th, 2005, 4:54 am

With Perverse Magic (where things just go off by themselves against the magician) I say,

"Are you kidding? I had enough trouble the first time!"

Postby Guest » February 19th, 2005, 9:39 am

I'm often in a sort-of Perverse Magic situation, since I present some effects as I've-really-no-idea-what-the-heck-is-happening-here. So my answer is "beats me - wish I knew!"

In other situations, I often say "ok" and then perform a different effect that starts in vaguely the same way. If you're a pick-a-card guy (which I'm not), that should be a simple expedient.

Dave

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 19th, 2005, 6:42 pm

The first time is my show
Second time is a lesson
I charge for lessons :D
Stay tooned.

Mr. Stickley

Postby Mr. Stickley » February 19th, 2005, 10:15 pm

Hey Pete -

I'd hope you could charge for the show too...

:-D

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 19th, 2005, 10:39 pm

Originally posted by mrmagik:
Hello all,
I was wondering what are some good outs for when someone who you've just performed an effect for asks you to repeat it? What do you say?
"Nah, let me show you somehting MUCH better..."

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » February 20th, 2005, 11:36 am

That depends entirely on the effect. If it's a trick for which I have multiple methods I may repeat the effect using a differnet trick (sans script).

Or I may say "Reruns aren't scheduled until summer" (or fall, depending on the season).

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » February 21st, 2005, 7:40 am

I usually say something like "Well, if I'd told you a good joke, would you ask me to repeat it? Same thing!" :)
http://www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky/kotr1.htm
www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky

Postby Guest » February 21st, 2005, 7:14 pm

I like MrGoat's response. I don't think this is a question that should be addressed or topped with a "witty" remark. I think it is just one of the ways that people are responding to the magic they are seeing. This is related to the way people will often say "how did you do that?" it's not really a question because they know you're not going to tell them.

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2005, 2:33 am

There are two quite distinct types of spectator response.

There's "How on earth did you do that?" and "Wow! - do that again!", both of which mean that that was so freakin' impossible/magical that they can't believe it.

And there's "How did you do that?" and "Do that again", which are straightforward question and request.

I'd assumed, from the way that it was phrased, that this thread was on the subject of the straightforward request. But it is important to distinguish between the two types. The distinction is obvious in practice, but not necessarily in written discussions such as these.

Dave (pleased to be avoiding the "Why on earth did you do that?" response)

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » February 22nd, 2005, 1:18 pm

I always assume that when they ask to see it again it's really their way of saying "that was really good!" My standard reply is to ignore the request, but instead smile and say "I'm glad you liked that." and start into the next trick. If was the last trick of the set I just thank them and move on.

Postby Guest » February 24th, 2005, 11:34 pm

You've all been very helpful with your responses, thanks!

Noah, good point you make there. My problem is that I perform mostly for friends and family. Recently, I've been performing for my NEW girlfriend's family members and they've never seen close-up magic before. Their reactions to the effects I have shown them have been quite soothing to my ego to say the least.

However, they usually want me to repeat the same effect for someone else who didn't get to see it at that very moment. I don't want to repeat the effect for the same person but I don't want to come off as being too cocky and I don't want to shoot off some corny line like "I would but then I'd have to kill you". Any more suggestions, please keep them coming!

Roberto

Return to “Close-Up Magic”