New Magic of Japan + Five Times Five Japan

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

New Magic of Japan + Five Times Five Japan

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2006, 5:00 am

I have always been fascinated by Japanese magic when I first started out in this art. During that time, I remember myself purchasing all kinds of Tenyo effects, one of the most notable being a dice effect where after a shake, the dices arrange themselves into the same number the spectator randomly selected. Since then, I started to read magic textbooks regarding western magic and thus my connection with Japanese magic had slowly diminished. After I got Five Times Five Japan and New Magic of Japan, I feel that my close connection with Japanese magic that I had years ago is restored. Also, the emergence of Cyril in the magic scene in Japan not only made me more hooked into magic, but hooked with the magic that deals with Japan.

Some of the items I enjoyed best are Burnt Out, The Linking Cardboard, New Era Moving Pips, Joker Takes a Ride, and The Flowing Pips, which all are good representations of Japanese magic. Despite the fact that numerous items from both books need gimmicks, all the effects are brilliant in that they show Japaneses creative way of thinking and unique way of approaches. Their magic is easy to follow and straight to the point; to a degree that the spectators would be able to follow whats going on without patter - though I am not suggesting that these tricks should be done without it.

Making these videos took a long time, not necessarily with the moves or rehearsal, but rather than the actual construction time for gimmicks that most of the effects require. Though the construction time is tedious, the strong effects they create really compensate for all that time Ive devoted. This video is not only dedicated for my love for Japanese magic, but more importantly for those people who give up easily when they come across something difficult. As in life, if everybody perseveres, they will eventually get paid back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpvhdVPHO88

Best,
msc455magic
(Due to the time limitation on youtube, (10 min max) I needed to omit some items)
Here are their links
1.) Card Quake - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGy7P80BVp4
2.) Double Shock - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doXOtfqXSM8

*Remember to turn on your speakers*

Re: New Magic of Japan + Five Times Five Japan

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2006, 8:18 am

Well Done! I certainly can appreciate the time it took to "make" these videos...but even more the "behind the scenes" practice which you clearly have done so devotedly. Thank you so much for posting what great magic can look at as well as noting that persistance pays off.

On a side note...I am VERY impressed with your work with Earick's " By Forces Unseen" which is probably my "favorite" card magic book of all time! You, my friend, have SERIOUS chops!

Best of luck in your future...
Thanks again for posting your work and sharing to the community at large!

Sincerely,
Michael

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 4th, 2006, 6:36 pm

I haven't watched any of these videos, but I hope this guy isn't explaining the methods, right?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2006, 6:55 pm

From what I've seen they're performance only. Great work.

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2006, 6:58 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
I haven't watched any of these videos, but I hope this guy isn't explaining the methods, right?
so far just some impressive "show" but no "tell"

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2006, 7:04 pm

No explanations, just performances.

I can envision a lot of people LOVING "Double Shock".

Postby Guest » December 5th, 2006, 7:43 am

First of all, I would like to thank everybody for the great words. Secondly, I wouldn't reveal anything magic related; to me, that would be the greatest shame a performer can ever make.

Best,
msc455magic
(Don't worry Mr. Kaufman, I wouldn't reveal anything online and your inputs are also very welcome XD.)

Postby Guest » December 6th, 2006, 12:21 am

Thats some great work. I can tell you've putten practice into those effects ALOT. I really enjoyed your video of you performing all of the effects from "By Forces Unseen" also, was wonderful to watch.

Keep up the talent man.

Irtaza

Postby Guest » December 6th, 2006, 1:09 am

This is the same guy that had the video of Ernest Easrick's work right...Very nice.

Bill Wells

Postby Bill Wells » December 6th, 2006, 7:32 am

Richard -

This fellow is causing people to ask if anyone has copies of your books for sale! I hope you still have some copies left - He certainly made me go pull my copies off the shelf.

He does an outstanding job of demonstrating a number of the better effects from both books.

Bill
Bill Wells

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 6th, 2006, 8:19 am

Wish I had some books! All sold out on both counts.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » December 16th, 2006, 6:35 am

These books are waaay underrated and should be reprinted.

Best,
msc455magic

Return to “Close-Up Magic”