Best tricks for a women's luncheon program?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Best tricks for a women's luncheon program?

Postby Guest » July 19th, 2004, 1:34 pm

A July 7th thread dealt with the best tricks for children's programs. I'd like to ask the same question for a program following a women's luncheon. Other than the general suggestion that I've often heard, "use lots of flowers and not lots of cards," (and maybe the concern about cards is not valid), I'm not sure what to include. Any suggestions for tricks for this parlor/stage venue would be appreciated. Thanks!

mrgoat

Re: Best tricks for a women's luncheon program?

Postby mrgoat » July 19th, 2004, 1:57 pm

Originally posted by Chaucer:
A July 7th thread dealt with the best tricks for children's programs. I'd like to ask the same question for a program following a women's luncheon. Other than the general suggestion that I've often heard, "use lots of flowers and not lots of cards," (and maybe the concern about cards is not valid), I'm not sure what to include. Any suggestions for tricks for this parlor/stage venue would be appreciated. Thanks!
That one with the 12" red sponge censored. Quality.

</englishtoilethumour>

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 19th, 2004, 2:14 pm

It's not the cards, it's the poker and tact.

It's not the flowers, it's the sentiment.

It's all about the audience.

At least own any sexism you bring, and similar images. HOW you present the material is what makes the event.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Frank Starsinic

Postby Frank Starsinic » July 19th, 2004, 4:01 pm

I think women really like magic done in their hands.

Sponge Balls
2 card monte

One card trick I like doing for women is Roberto Giobbi's "Lucky Coin" in Card College I.

And some mentalism/prediction thingamabob.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 19th, 2004, 10:14 pm

NO NO NO...

I worked a Ladies luncheon at the IBM Convention some time ago...

What killed?

Mentalism.

Being a fan of Al Koran, I opened with the linking rings... noise, attention getter, etc.

Then did Alan Shaxon's Confabulation (3-phase prediction)

Something (I forget) with slate. Might have been my version of the McCombical Deck.

Maurice Fogel's SECOND SPOT... this KILLED... AND I HAD NEVER DONE IT BEFORE, JUST FAKED ALL THE TALK using all positive BS.

Closed with the Malini Egg Bag.

Did it all kinda "toungue in cheek" and what REALLY SCARED ME... :eek:

AFTER THE SHOW I HAD HALF A DOZEN OF THE LADIES ASK IF I WOULD DO PRIVATE READINGS FOR THEM. :eek:
Stay tooned.

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » July 20th, 2004, 7:47 am

I second Pete's opinion. My mentalism act always brings a surprising number of positive responses from women. I believe its because mentalism has the potential to be more relational than confrontational. You have to work WITH the audience to make the effects successful.

As to those who told you "more flowers, less cards", you might double check the credentials of the folks who said that. It sounds like someone who is underestimating women's ability to think. Don't insult your audience by turning thoughtful magic into a vacuous and saccharine eye candy show.

All that being said, though, it doesn't matter what you do if the audience likes YOU for who you are. That plays well for both women and men.

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » July 20th, 2004, 12:09 pm

Being a fan of Al Koran, I opened with the linking rings... noise, attention getter, etc.
Pete,

If I recall correctly, his 3 ring routine was done with 15" rings. I've never seen a routine with rings of that size (unles you count hoola hoops).

Do you use very large rings - it always sounded impressive.

Later.....
Steve

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 20th, 2004, 12:52 pm

I used the 15-iinch rings for quite some time. However, having had a paralysis to my right arm, I can't raise it, and to do some of the moves with large, or heavy rings is not possible anymore, so mostly stick to my 10-inch Owen set.
Stay tooned.

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » July 20th, 2004, 9:10 pm

I would have to agree with the Mentalism.

Most women want to find a man who can "get into their minds, etc..." so if you can read their minds they will be into the effect.

I did a mentalism piece by David Regal, I think it is called Not this, That or something like that. I don't do mentalism and I felt a little uncomfortable doing it. However, after spending about a month with a group of new co-workers, when I asked which effect they liked the best, the two females both said the mental piece. They said "the one with the little shapes on the paper" but I knew what they meant. And I had done some of the best classic card tricks at this point. It may be that they saw all the card tricks as just the same.....

Scott

Postby Guest » July 21st, 2004, 8:41 am

Before collecting consumed my every spare moment, I actually "specialized" in performing for women's groups. These were almost universally church groups, middle-aged to retired ladies, great gigs.

All I ever did for them was mentalism. "Comedy mentalism", and a whole lot of "fun", but the key to the mentalism was the participation of the audience. They got thoroughly involved in the act and they loved it, especially when they saw their friend's reactions as her mind was "read".

I ended with a sealed envelope prediction (mailed to the President 2 wks in advance) right out of an old MAGICK for which the kicker was the prediction of the color and stytle of Madame President's dress. Great way to exit "stage left", except that they all wanted to go to Confession by having me read their mind. <sigh>

Just writing these notes makes me want to go back to doing these gigs. All to say: mentalism really worked for me, or at least something that gets the gals involved up there with you!

Great audiences!

Postby Guest » September 14th, 2004, 7:14 pm

I did a small luncheon recently and started with a doubled sealed envelope prediction. After that I did (in their hands) cards and some Banachek stuff.

I also did Cups and Balls, as it had been requested at the booking.

Side Swiped went over very well. They wanted to see it again, so I gave in to the request as I carry extra (alternate) force cards with me. It is not the kind of trick that I like repeating, but did not get burned. But they sure watched carefully.

Bob

Return to “Close-Up Magic”