Gared Crawford T&R Card

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Gared Crawford T&R Card

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2007, 8:19 am

Hey guys,

Can you please checkout this link and tell me what the deal is with this video? It's called "Bits and Pieces"

http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=4328

Is this for real? Is the secret published?

(please also watch "The Quickie" and "Unripped") (provided at the same link). Unripped is available on DVD...but what's the deal with the Quickie and Bits and Pieces? Looks too good to be true. Does anyone know the FACTS? Thanks.

Re: Gared Crawford T&R Card

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2007, 8:35 am

Real, not published - wonderful isn't it?

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2007, 8:46 am

Johnathan, are you sure? And can you tell me how, in particular, you know that it's real and not published? Thanks man.

Daniel

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2007, 9:33 am

Originally posted by false_shuffle:
Johnathan, are you sure? And can you tell me how, in particular, you know that it's real and not published? Thanks man.

Daniel
A quiet discussion via PM back when that video was posted brought out the names of that guy and two buddies working on the trick and kudos to all for their good ideas.

Certainty... have not seen folks exploring what was discussed so will say ninty percent certain.

If you want that trick - best bet - contact him directly and ask him for his work.

Hope that helps

To all here - there's something called "seamless" which may be available if you ask the inventor nicely.

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2007, 7:28 pm

Seamless requires to be seated at a Table, which kinda sucks. Looks great though.

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2007, 7:35 pm

I went to college with Gared, so I've been witness to most of his T&R conquest over the years, and I can assure you, his T&R is 100% real and real-world tested and proven. He uses it on a regular basis.

I don't think he's going to give away his work; as Jonathan mentioned, he is currently working with two other gentlemen on a T&R project. Then again, sending an email can't hurt.

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2007, 7:36 pm

Can you pvt me and give me his contact info? Magic Video Depot never had it... i've been doing T&R Research for a long time and would like to talk to him.. thanks!

Daniel

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2007, 7:53 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AJ_GWcvDDc8

Here's another one I found.....*puzzled*

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2007, 7:56 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AJ_GWcvDDc8

It gets worse (or better depending) if you look in Steve Dusheck's book on card magic.

Amazing world isn't it? :D

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2007, 7:58 pm

Seamless requires to be seated at a Table, which kinda sucks. Looks great though.
Nah, just means you need to work on some traffic management. Lots of help available on that one.

Postby Guest » November 27th, 2007, 9:47 pm

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
[b] http://youtube.com/watch?v=AJ_GWcvDDc8

It gets worse (or better depending) if you look in Steve Dusheck's book on card magic.

Amazing world isn't it? :D [/b]
Can you clarify what you meant? Does Steve's book contain the secret to that youtube link I posted?

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2007, 4:51 am

The Dusheck material is thought provoking - as are the videos.

Public fora have their limitations as regards private matters of artistic vision, approach, mechanics etc.

Email?

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2007, 11:32 am

Hi Guys,
I am almost 100% certain that the youTube video is a fake. By that I mean that it was filmed one way and the video was reversed to create the effect of putting a card back together. This guy did a very good job planning out the motions so that they would look natural in reverse. I've fooled around with all these ideas a lot and judging from my experience this video has a very backwards look to it. I've been wrong in the past though. :) Since we don't see the tearing in this video it is difficult to be certain.

Cheers!

PS- Adam....how YOU doin?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 28th, 2007, 1:28 pm

Oh, yes, absolutely filmed and then projected in reverse. It's an old movie trick: everytime you see a knife or an arrow land in a wall next to someone's head, they start with the item in the wall then pull it out with a thread. Reverse the film and it appears as if the item lands inches from the actor's head.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2007, 3:59 pm

If that video was reversed then there are some even more magical effects happening in it. The most magical to me being his ability to perfectly rip a quarter of the cardstarting from the center!

When I watch taped things like this it just seems completely transparent what is happening.

Hm... :)

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2007, 4:08 pm

I don't know - the method seems pretty obvious to me.

Gared - You use this in your "real world" work? What real world is that? I can't think of any situation where you could do that trick and then stick the card in your pocket or otherwise put the card away without "real people" wanting to touch the card.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 28th, 2007, 4:10 pm

It's easy to score a card so it can be ripped perfectly into quarters. The resolution of video, particularly after it's been put through the special effects ringer like this one has, is well below that of the eye. You'd never see the scoring.

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2007, 11:15 pm

Originally posted by Randy DiMarco:
Gared - You use this in your "real world" work? What real world is that? I can't think of any situation where you could do that trick and then stick the card in your pocket or otherwise put the card away without "real people" wanting to touch the card.
Randy...I hope you are not referring to the YouTube video. Mine was on the MagicVideoDepot.com...I should also mention that that video is really old and not even close to what I am doing now with this effect. They can take the card right out of your hand once the last piece is on there. Also I should note that my effect can be done with a folded card or a pristine flat card. It just depends on the aesthetic you are going for.

-Gared

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2007, 11:25 pm

I looked at the youTube Merge video again. To me it looks like he started with 3/4's of a card that had the 4th piece loosely attached with something sticky. Then he just takes it all apart.

I don't even think scoring the card is necessary. If you were to put a small rip at the edge of the card on each seam. Then, since the tear is already started, all you have to do is pull on them to get them to start ripping down the line like that. Then reverse the video.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 29th, 2007, 7:15 am

I went to Theory 11 and watched the video demo of Mattieu Bich's T&R version which they are selling--am I crazy, or does it look exactly like the YouTube video?

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2007, 11:00 am

Richard, It's not the same thing. The Theory11 trick requires that the back of the card be facing the spectator, and it can't be signed. But they do look similar. The phony reverse playback looks alot more real, lol. Now that I think about it, you might be able to do the Theory11 version and set it up so you can do it with the face of the card out...but i'm not sure if it would look right.

Daniel

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2007, 11:52 am

Gared, in your description on the Magic Video Depot in your video "The Quickie", you mention in your caption on the video that the card can be examined at the end of the trick...was this a mis-type? I really think you may have phrased that wrong. If the card can be examined at the end of "The Quickie" (without switching it, just like the video), i will pay you whatever you want, name your price, for that effect. But please clarify so I'm not driven so crazy about what's going on. Did you really mean that it's examinable? Or did you mean to say "It can be handed out after a switch"? Thanks. :p

Daniel

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2007, 12:32 pm

Gared

I was talking about your video on MVD. Are you saying that they can take the card directly after you restore the last piece and examine the card without discovering the secret? I don't believe you. Not based on that video. If I am wrong, I apologize in advance.

I have worked on (what I believe is)the same method you are using for quite some time. I have some ideas on being able to have the card examined directly after the final restoration but have never worked them out completely.

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Did you guys not notice that in Matthew Bich's effect the face of the card changes after it is restored? (How would you do that with the card facing the audience?)

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2007, 7:54 pm

You can't do it with the card facing the audience. The card changing at the end is optional. If you want the card to change at the end you have to perform with the back of the card facing out. I hope that makes sense. I wouldn't reccomend doing the Matthiew Bich effect without doing the surprise change at the end. The surprise change gets you the misdirection that you need to switch the card at the end of the trick since the card is not examinable.

D

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2007, 3:57 am

Hey guys, I have the biggest smile on my face right now. Watch the following YouTube video to find out why. I just recorded this in the middle of the night. It's a new method for T&R I recently discovered. The card is examinable at the end of the trick for those of you that feel this is the most important detail in magic. hehehe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ghG1-n5w4

Daniel Rasmussen

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2007, 8:01 am

Daniel,

Wow! That looks terrific! You've either perpetrated a delightful hoax or created the ultimate torn and restored card effect. In the latter case, shrines will be built in your honor, and with the revenue generated by sales of the effect, you can look forward to comfortably retiring before you are 35. I'll be the first to send you a check. Bravo!

Tom

Mark Ratekin
Favorite Magician: Harry Anderson

Postby Mark Ratekin » December 2nd, 2007, 11:48 am

Hi, Daniel -

This is very nicely done. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Regards,

Mark

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2007, 2:06 pm

...The card is examinable at the end of the trick for those of you that feel this is the most important detail in magic. hehehe.
The video looks fine. It's the moment after the last piece has been restored and the card is twirled at your fingertips that has some of us wondering just how well things go when eager hands reach out and if you can let them take the card right then to look at and keep and later show their friends (and grandchildren) when they tell the story ...

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2007, 2:50 pm

Thanks for the compliments guys. Just for the record, I'm a smart ass, lol. The trick I filmed was exactly Gared's Bits and Pieces, or at least how I think it works. I figured it out by fooling and experimenting. I said I'm a smart-ass because the card is actually not examinable until after you switch it. I plan on doing this using a top change..I've been playing around with it. Top change with a duplicate signature (of my own). I just said it was examinable because I wanted to give Gared a hard time for saying his card was examinable on the Magic Video Depot, which it isn't. I was just being a smart ass. Thanks for being a good sport Gared. You might want to go change that description though.

Postby Guest » December 7th, 2007, 12:33 pm

The card is examinable at the end of the trick for those of you that feel this is the most important detail in magic. hehehe.

Daniel Rasmussen
Haha Daniel! Nice job on the video though.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”