Impromptu Out of This World

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Impromptu Out of This World

Postby Guest » November 7th, 2006, 7:21 am

I need someone to tell me which book by Harry Lorayne contains the Impromtu OOTW. I have all his books but cannot remember. Would appreciate any help.
Rennie

Re: Impromptu Out of This World

Postby Guest » November 7th, 2006, 7:50 am

It's in, My Favorite Card Tricks.

Postby Guest » November 7th, 2006, 8:50 am

Out of this Universe is also great and can be found in Close-Up Card Magic.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » November 7th, 2006, 10:13 am

Seem to be getting the same question in different threads. So, have to repeat my answer: BE SMART! Get LORAYNE:THE CLASSIC COLLECTION (while they last). That contains CLOSE-UP CARD MAGIC, MY FAVORITE CARD TRICKS, PLUS SO MUCH MORE.
To kill two birds, I'll answer two other questions: If you want to receive a copy of the full-page ad for BEST OF FRIENDS, VOL. 3 when ready, email your email address to me at:
harrylorayne@earthlink.net.
And, if you're interested in the slightly damaged copies (hardly noticeable)of PERSONAL COLLECTION, for about half, or less than half, of the original $150.00 price, again, email me at: harrylorayne@earthlink.net. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

Postby Guest » November 8th, 2006, 3:24 am

I consider Harry to be the best writer on card magic of the twentieth century. Or any other century come to that.

However there is a little known method of doing the regular Paul Curry OOTW in a completely impromptu manner. Sometimes you don't have the deck ready set up and this can be a nuisance and has led to the popularity of the impromptu method in Harry's book which I think may originally have come from U.F.Grant although I can't be sure.

Try this instead. TELL the spectators that you are going to set up the deck and do it openly!The presentation is that you are going to put the deck in a certain order and you believe it is the order that the spectator is going to deal them in a few moments.The premise is that you have summed up the volunteer and have placed the deck in the order that he is likely to deal them.

Postby Guest » November 9th, 2006, 6:36 am

Rohan,
Is it just me, or does everyone think that idea is brilliant?

Postby Guest » November 9th, 2006, 10:07 am

Why Don't you use Ammar's version in easy to master card miracles?. Its the best method I've read so far.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » November 9th, 2006, 10:19 am

Mike M: No, sorry. It clues an intelligent spectator or audience.
Mr. P: Have you read mine? Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

Postby Guest » November 9th, 2006, 10:33 am

MR. Lorayne, I will read it tonight from your Classic Collections, thanks for reminding me. Also can't wait for Best of Friends vol.3

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » November 9th, 2006, 3:53 pm

My pleasure, Rich. Re: BEST OF FRIENDS, VOL. 3 - I've put you on my email mailing list so that you'll receive a copy of the full-page ad for the book when ready. If that's okay with you. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

Postby Guest » November 10th, 2006, 7:28 am

MR.Lorayne,that would be great if you would put me on your list, checked the version in your book,It is easier than the Ammar version and the spectator does half of it for you! thanks Rich

Postby Guest » November 10th, 2006, 8:09 am

Originally posted by Mike M:
Is it just me, or does everyone think that idea is brilliant?
My initial reaction was that it might lead some spectators to the actual method.

And I thought that if one went through the deck, separating it into reds and blacks, but saying "Let's see, I think you'll choose red - black - red - black black - red - black - red red red - .....", and then at the end cut the deck (simply interchanging the two colours) so that anybody who had noted the initial pattern would be lost, then it could work extremely well. Of course, the cutting of the deck would need to be "explained", but that's no problem.

Though personally I think that I'll stick with the Ammar version.

Dave

pduffie

Postby pduffie » November 10th, 2006, 8:58 am

Rohan said:

Try this instead. TELL the spectators that you are going to set up the deck and do it openly!The presentation is that you are going to put the deck in a certain order and you believe it is the order that the spectator is going to deal them in a few moments.The premise is that you have summed up the volunteer and have placed the deck in the order that he is likely to deal them.
This presentation was first published by George Blake.

Peter

Postby Guest » November 10th, 2006, 10:13 am

In Close Up Illusions, Gary Ouellet published his handling of OOTW, called "Netherworld," which may be of interest. He takes any shuffled deck, lays out the indicator cards, and then fans the deck towards himself and begins choosing cards for the spectator to guess the color, one at a time. Under the guise of trying to predict the spectator's choices, he pulls out all the red cards (minus the indicator aces). Then he takes the rest of the deck, shuffles it, and lets the spectator have a go with "randomly chosen" cards (i.e. the blacks).

This version is completely impromptu, and has the benefit of providing some justification for the use of indicator cards to switch colors half-way through.

Gary's procedure for correcting the piles at the end is the closest I've ever seen to the one I use, which I either learned or came up with in high school 30 years ago. It has no sleights and is perfectly natural and utterly deceptive. If you see me at the Castle some time, ask me to show it to you.

Postby Guest » November 10th, 2006, 8:54 pm

Pete, Bobby McAllister showed me that when I was

20 . I'm 66........Mike

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » November 10th, 2006, 9:11 pm

In one of my early books I published a thing I used to do when I did hospitality suites for corporate execs. after my memory show. These people didn't know I did card magic. Anyway, when I wanted to give my mind a rest, I did Out Of This World Memory. This has to be close to half a century ago. The deck was set; I shuffled, of course. Then pretended to memorize the order of the colors in the shuffled deck. I always made it my business to remember the 26th card, so that I named it when I switched the colors, etc. Made it look as if I'd really remembered every card, color AND value. What I did was to hand the deck to a spectator, and I would tell him where, onto which color pile, to deal each card. At one point, I'd pretend to have made a mistake. "No, no, sorry - that's not a black card, that's the two of hearts, put it here, please." Anyway - as I said, I put it in a book - too tired at the moment to look it up, perhaps one of you will. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

Postby Guest » November 10th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Originally posted by Pete McCabe:
Gary's procedure for correcting the piles at the end is the closest I've ever seen to the one I use, which I either learned or came up with in high school 30 years ago. It has no sleights and is perfectly natural and utterly deceptive. If you see me at the Castle some time, ask me to show it to you.
Or, one could look it up here on the Forum. Pete wrote it up nearly four years ago, in the thread titled "Out of This World" Final Display. :)

The oddest reaction I ever received to OOTW was from a mathematician I performed it for. After the conclusion, he just stood staring at the cards on the table for a long time, with a puzzled expression.

I finally asked, "What are you thinking?"

He said, "Well, the separation of the cards into reds and blacks, that I can understand - that could just be a trick. But how did I deal the cards at random, and end up separating the cards exactly in half?"

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 11th, 2006, 2:48 am

Originally posted by Pete McCabe:
In Close Up Illusions, Gary Ouellet published his handling of OOTW, called "Netherworld,"
You've just described the U.F. Grant method, Pete. That's the one I use.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » November 11th, 2006, 8:06 am

In Card Conjuring , I have a method ( The Eradicator ) that is, in EFFECT ONLY , OOTW - but is NOT presented that way . It was FIRST published in Peter Duffie's e-book - England Up-Close . I, naturally, think it's worth a look-see.

When I did it at my 2002 lecture at The Magic Circle headquarters in London, it 'got' a lot of the knowledgeable cardmen. When I lectured in Berlin (last year) with Tommy Wonder & Alexander DeCova, it 'got' them, too. Tommy didn't expect the final effect...but, then he, Alex and I had had a few drinks!!!!!!

Paul Gordon

Return to “Close-Up Magic”