I need help with an new effect...

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

I need help with an new effect...

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2004, 4:42 pm

(I posted this on another forum-Cafe somethingoranother- and it seems to disappear all the time)

I am working on an effect and I need some opinions. THere are two ways to do this, please let me know which would seem more magical (and impressive)

Version #1
Imagine you are all watching a magic show (and don't know much about magic) and the magican has three decks of cards and asks three people to shuffle them all up and place them back in the box. The magician now knows nothing of the order of the cards, nor does the audience. He proceeds to take the decks out one by one and asks three people to each chose one card from one deck. Three cards have randomly been selected (NO FORCE!) - the three cards no match a prediction that has been sitting in PLAIN NEW of the audience the entire time
or
Version #2
THree decks are shuffled by three different people, an assistant is called up (NOT A "STOOGE") and is asked to pick one card from each of the three decks. Once chosen, they are revealed to be the exact same card! Each of the cards were chosen from a different shuffled deck, yet they are all the same!

which do you prefer and why...thanx for your help!

Re: I need help with an new effect...

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2004, 6:17 pm

Can't say as I like either - What's the plot? without a presentation it's another card trick...

Best, PSC

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2004, 7:35 pm

I think you're really running the risk of losing people. Once you rip out 3 decks of cards they are already going to worry about keeping track of everything. I also think that there are much stronger prediciton effects ( with more than one card) that you can do with one deck of cards.

Noah Levine

Arnie Fuoco

Postby Arnie Fuoco » July 22nd, 2004, 8:06 pm

Magic Apple

In version 1 you didn't say whether all three cards are the same. I am assuming they are . I am also assuming that you've got a great presentation surrounding the effect.
When all three cards are the same and you have a prediction of that same card the two events are redundant because all heat will immediately shift to those decks. And if the spectators haven't been shown something that convince them the decks are normal they will chalk up the solution to rigged decks. For this effect I prefer 3 different cards and one prediction that reveals the 3 different cards. Three different cards also takes the heat off the decks.
Regarding the use of one vs three spectators, I prefer three because it removes the possibility of a shill in the minds of the spectator. Also it's a better show if more people are involved

If the decks aren't gaffed, then I prefer version 1 as you describe it with or without the prediction.

Arnie
Arnie Fuoco

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2004, 12:40 pm

There is a lot of comedy involved with the trick and there is an entire presentation of the trick - I am just looking for some advice about the "outcome" of the trick...
In version one - the cards are different BUT they all match the prediction that has been ins plain view
version 2 - the cards are all the same .

and yes, the audience sees the decks all three times and shuffles them...

thanx!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 23rd, 2004, 12:52 pm

Let's try this again.

Please give the AUDIENCE perspective of

1) what they are told

2) what they see

3) why they should care

and for our benefit:
4) what we should be considering
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2004, 8:34 pm

Malini did a trick similar to this. It is detailed in Dai Vernon's "Malini and His Magic". Where 6 people each pick a card from individual decks and at the time of revelation everyone was found to have picked the same card. He used the ruse of mass hypnosis to tie every thing together. I assume you are keeping details vaugue to protect your routine, however I agree with the other postings that from the description given I would be a little lost/confused by the end.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » July 30th, 2004, 6:54 pm

Originally posted by TheMagicApple:

Version #2
THree decks are shuffled by three different people, an assistant is called up (NOT A "STOOGE") and is asked to pick one card from each of the three decks. Once chosen, they are revealed to be the exact same card! Each of the cards were chosen from a different shuffled deck, yet they are all the same!
I think I prefer the second version. Don't know why really, but it seems more direct and to the point.
If the method allows it, I'd probably try to make it into a three-phase routine:
First bring out a mini-deck, saying something like; "I'll show you a small miracle...", and then proceed to do a quick effect with it.

Then bring out a normal-sized deck; -"A slightly bigger miracle!" Use both decks for another effect - perhaps Marlo's "Double Thought" from The Cardician.

And then, finally, bring out a jumbo deck: -"a BIG miracle!", and use all three decks for the second version of your effect.

-Tom Stone

Return to “Close-Up Magic”