Invisible Kevlex thread

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Invisible Kevlex thread

Postby Guest » June 15th, 2003, 6:06 pm

The other day, a guy at Hollywood Magic Shop told me to hold off on buying an ITR, because there's a new Kevlex ITR reel coming out soon. He said that the new thread doesn't break, that it can hold a bowlful of water or more without breaking.

Has anybody heard about this? Is this true?

If it's true, I'm definitely getting into thread work. The breakage is a terrific headache, and has been the major stumbling block to me getting flotation into my repertoire.

Kevin Williams

Re: Invisible Kevlex thread

Postby Kevin Williams » June 15th, 2003, 6:39 pm

David,

This sounds like what you need.

http://sorcery.safeshopper.com/186/37.htm?941

Kevin

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2003, 2:49 am

Is Kevlex significantly better than the other stuff out there? Will it break? I don't trust ad copy, esp in magic.

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2003, 9:14 am

this site has kevlar thread for sale

http://www.firemountaingems.com/details ... N2=1&ASTD=

They're advertising 50 yard spools for 3-4 bucks.

FYI: I haven't tried this stuff yet. My magi-urge to float things is low... mainly due to the 'popularity' of Hummer's floating card and Fearson's Floating Cig (as popularized by Perry Maynard's 'Light Flight') In my opinion... the mass sales of those two tricks (that continues to grow and grow) is KILLING close-up levitation for future genereations. Anyhay excuse the ramble.

I'm still curious; has anyone tried this kevlar thread? Comments?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 16th, 2003, 9:56 am

I really agreed. Too many do the floating stuff BADLY... when you see them you want to cringe... they figure just because the thread is hard to see (none are INVISIBLE) that nobody thinks the object is on a thread. :(

But they do it too long and don't sell it properly... the only conclusion anybody with half a brain can come to is that it is hanging on something. :mad:

Also... the dancing cane.

I think three to five seconds is long enough... and for gosh sakes DO NOT DIM THE LIGHTS... that is a dead givaway. :p

Learn to light thread. :rolleyes:

Finn Jon knows and tells... BRIGHT front light. No back or side light. Busy background. Keep moving. Be brief.

End Rant :D
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2003, 10:08 am

I have a kevlex ITR that I ordered from Denny's shop back east. The ITR came from Sorcery. From what I've experienced so far, the thread is very strong; I haven't had any breaks so far. However, the invisibility issue seems to be a problem more with this type of thread than with the more breakable types I've used before.

Fortunately, I don't really need to worry about all of this very much due to the fact that just about everyone on the planet is aware of invisible thread. I don't do much levitation effects nowadays. (The other day I had an 83 year old man ask me if I use that "invisible string stuff that all the magicians use.")

Loops still seem to garner good reactions and animations (e.g. the pack that cuts itself) still go over well. I just wish that floating a bill could still consistently get more than a "that's neat" during performance. But hey, at least some guys made some money by ruining one of the greatest close up illusions of all time. :)

Postby Guest » June 17th, 2003, 7:24 am

Pete Biro and MJ Marrs have it right. Floating anything using IT these days is a dead giveaway as to method.

SO, as a suggestion to the bretheren (and sistern?), why not use it for OTHER things than floating stuff?

Al Baker's Erectile Bill, which uses that same gaff, KILLS, yet it does NOT engender the immediate "let's find the itty-bitty thread" game that floating something engenders these days.

There are dozens of effects that use IT to great advantage, yet, when someone gets an ITR or Loop or whatever, it seems, all they want to do is float stuff with it.

How about some CREATIVITY folks?

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

Return to “Close-Up Magic”