Fixing Coin To Bottle

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Fixing Coin To Bottle

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2003, 8:27 pm

The groove in my coin is bent at the edge. Is there a way I can bend it make.

Please help me get my groove back.

Pete Biro

Re: Fixing Coin To Bottle

Postby Pete Biro » April 12th, 2003, 11:43 pm

I have opened up grooves with a knife.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2003, 4:06 pm

The groove is VERY small and the knife won't fit in the groove. a needle just fits isn't strong enough to bend it back

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 13th, 2003, 10:49 pm

Gadzooks... they are not high priced items... if you perform it a lot, buy a few spares.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2003, 10:53 pm

if a knife won't fit then you will need to open it up in stages. you can get stainless steel shim stock that may be useful. However, unless this is a REALLY special coin, the price of the various sizes of shim stock you'll need will likely cost more than the value of the coin. Otherwise, you could heat the piece of coin very hot to make it softer if it is a pure silver coin. If it's not a real silver coin, I wouldn't bother. A new high quality quarter would cost very little at a decent magic store. A Johnson coin is going to be way better than most of the junk coins sold by other vendors. A cheapo coin can be had for under ten bucks that will do the job.

A machinist or gunsmith could could open it up but they'll charge you at least a hundred dollars just to start working on it. Setup time would be at least ten times the value of the coin.

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2003, 11:45 pm

The coin cost a little more the normal because it is Aussie currency and it is illegal to alter currency. (even signing notes is illegal).

The dealer I bought it from no longer imports them so it is quite valuable to me.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 14th, 2003, 8:18 am

Mail some coins to Todd Lassen to make new ones. Also, there is a guy on ebay all the time selling folding coins, euros, etc., look him up he uses "snack time" as a keyword.
Stay tooned.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”