Mirabill

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
El Mystico

Mirabill

Postby El Mystico » February 22nd, 2008, 1:15 am

There is an interesting take on Miraskill over at Outlaw Effects; it allows you to perform the whole thing from the other side of the room. I think its damn clever.

Bermini

Re: Mirabill

Postby Bermini » February 22nd, 2008, 5:41 pm

Outlaw effects have many products. Which one are you referring to?

rage

Postby rage » February 22nd, 2008, 6:26 pm

"Now, one of the mentalisms greatest self-working effects has been simplified to the point where it really is self-working ! One early reviewer referred to Mirabill as Miraskill minus the skill.

That quote was from their site. Im not knocking their trick but, to say that miraskill uses some sleight of hand is not true.

The ad to mirabill doesn't sound any different to the many versions I have read. And I am fortunate enough to have read many.

Check the James File and Williamson's work on the effect. You will be happy.
with an N

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » February 22nd, 2008, 9:03 pm

Mirabill sounds derivative.

If it's not, then the sales blurb needs to be re-written to more clearly delineate the effect from the work already existing on Miraskill.

I'd be interested in a review from somebody who has read The James File. At only $15.00 it's not expensive.....but I'm not seeing anything at all being brought to the effect that could be called new.

rage

Postby rage » February 23rd, 2008, 12:46 am

I have read the James File and the Miraskill variations are plenty.

A review? All I will say is that there are some well known magicians who have put some good thought into the effect. This includes Max Maven, Peter Duffie, Alan Slaight, and many others. In particular, Bob Farmer was given the task of coming up with "off the beaten path" variants of the effect. He did well, as did the other contributors.

The ad for mirabill, for me, does not sound like anything different or new has been added. I am curious to hear from someone who has both bought the e-book and read the James File to see if they can do a comparison. Maybe mirabill has something new to offer.
with an N

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » February 23rd, 2008, 12:49 am

Of course it is derivative; the effect is the original Miraskill. But the original needs cards palmed in and out. Now, yes, there are versions out there that avoid this - the Scarne version springs to mind. But this version allows you to be the other side of the room.
NB - I have no commercial interest in this, it's just one of the few things in magic that has tickled me recently.

rage

Postby rage » February 23rd, 2008, 12:56 am

Maybe I am biased, I have a deep respect for Stewart James. However, I have read versions that blow the mirabill ad out of the water.

Right now I am not convinced. If mirabill turns out to be the next killer variation, good!
with an N

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » February 23rd, 2008, 2:29 am

Respect for James? Me too! I've got the three big books. I'm not criticising James's concept in any way! Just that I love mirabill's "other side of the room" aspect.
But - always keen to learn - can you point me to some of the better versions?

rage

Postby rage » February 23rd, 2008, 11:34 am

Williamson's routine is probably the best I have read. There is a handling in Enchantments you might want to look at also.
with an N

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » February 23rd, 2008, 12:09 pm

I'd certainly agree about the brilliance of the Williamson routine, less convinced by the Wesley James one - but no matter - the Williamson routine is fabulous in certain situations - and David acknowledges that it isn't suitable for all. And I wouldn't use Mirabill for restaurant or bar performances.
I certainly wouldn't want to calim Mirabill as the ultimate Miraskill variant - all I'm saying is - it appealed to me!

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 23rd, 2008, 3:43 pm

Why pay $15 for one Miraskil variation?

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » February 23rd, 2008, 11:04 pm

well, you've got a point there, Bob, particularly when you think the original was in a magazine!

Bill Cushman

Postby Bill Cushman » March 11th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Why pay 15 dollars for one Miraskil variation? Here is why, according to Peter Duffie:

"I grinned widely as I read your elegant solution. Far from adding any complications, you have managed to simplify and actually improve an established classic card trick. I am sure Stewart James would have loved this as much as I do."

I believe Peter constitutes someone who has read, (read: contributed) to the The James File :). By the way, this is the first, and hopefully not last, time I corresponded with Peter.

I'm not going to get all defensive about the posts. I just feel bad that until today I couldn't get on the forum, other than to lurk, after the seismic shift in membership qualifications.

El has been left dangling in the breeze, trying to respond without saying too much to folks who haven't even read the ebook. If they had, they would know I'd researched and sited all the works referenced in this thread. They would also be in a much better position to speak on whether Mirabill brings anything new to the table.

It seems to me that some may have commented about the accuracy of the ad without reading the full text!

The original Miraskil requires stealing, palming and an add on. To many of us, these count as sleights :). I ran into this problem with someone else where it turned out the writer had only read the version in Scarne On Card Tricks. Scarne offers a version sans sleights but not at all hands off.

I am very confident about the originality and contributions of my derivation! If any Genii member buys a copy and doesn't think it was worth 15 dollars, I'll gladly refund your money.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » March 12th, 2008, 6:26 pm

You might want to check Bob King's Miniskill, in BEST OF FRIENDS, Vol. 3. Not sure if it's apropo to this discussion. You tell me. HARRY LORAYNE.

John Carey

Postby John Carey » March 14th, 2008, 8:47 am

THANK YOU HARRY

Bill Cushman

Postby Bill Cushman » April 2nd, 2008, 1:52 am

Thanks, Harry. Not that you could tell from this thread, but Mirabill has been extraordinarily well received and reviewed. It has served to inspire many mentalists and magicians to design and share with me their own ploys. So many in fact, that I've released The Mirabill Supplement.

The Supplement is free to all previous and future purchasers of Mirabill. Inside are ideas from John Bannon, Greg Arce, Jerome Finley, Deddy Corbuzier, Jim Callahan, Tony Iacovellio, Joshua Quinn and Mike Sturgeon.

I have already started to distribute the Supplement to current owners of Mirabill. I should be done by the end of the week.

My intelligence has it that there are some Mirabill owners on this board. Should any of you not receive your Mirabill Supplement, please drop me a PM.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”