EBook Review

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.

EBook Review

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2007, 8:51 am

Im at the LA History Conference visiting with my friend Tom Baxter. Tom is one of the most knowledgeable performers around.a real guy who knows his stuff, but a guy who not many know, which is their loss.

Anyway, Tom says, Let me show you something, and he starts quickly running cards from hand to hand saying, Think of a card you see. Now, Im not the best audience for this because I know how it works, so I say, Sure, and suddenly, one and only one card forms an image in my brain from those that are flowing past my eyes. It was weird.

Tom shuffles the deck, takes one card out of the deck, puts it on the table and does a short pump.black or red?.....high or low?.....and with nothing further asked, he tells me to name my card. I tell him the Four of Spades. He directs me to turn over the single card laying in front of me and theres the Four of Spades staring me in the face.

He then proceeds to fry me with about a half a dozen variants all on the Think of a Card theme..cards fanned, cards dribbled. I dont take a card, I simply think of one that occurs to me as he passes them in front of me. He gets them all. This is extremely subtle work and Tom knows it cold. It shouldnt have worked on me..but it did.

Tom demonstrates his surety of his technique by doing it on several people as we visit with others at the conference. He gets the thought-of card every time.

At dinner I ask him to show my wife who has seen her share of magic and is very hard to impress. She is stunned.repeatedly. No take a card out and put it back, she finds most of that boring. With Tom its just think of a card you see as I run through the deck. My wife is impressed.

He shows me the technique. Amazingly, the core is in the literature, its in Erdnase and several far older texts, but not well explained, so no one does it. Years ago Tom made this subject a study and has been doing it for real audiences for years. Its one of the things that sets him apart from other people who do mentalism. What he does looks impossible, but he does it with confidence and regularity. He knows the insights and nuances that are arent described in the books. As I said at the beginning, Tom knows his stuff.

Luckily for the trade, Tom has written down his years of insights and experience and put them in an e-book. Hes selling it for the absurd price of $35 Canadian, absurd when you understand the quality of information youre getting. Books like this where a quality professional tips his work - dont come along very often. If you want to ramp up your skills and impress laypeople by finding cards that have been thought of, this is what you should buy.

Click the link and send him the money by PayPal. Youll be glad you did.

http://www.thoughtcontrol.ca/A_Card_Merely_Thought_of/

David Alexander

Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: EBook Review

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » January 29th, 2008, 10:26 am

I picked this up a few weeks ago based solely on David's recommendation. The e-book is excellent, and Tom describes the techniques very well. I don't really have much to add to what David said and since he's a more experienced performer anyway, I think his review would carry more weight than anything I'd add in. My main reason for this post is to bring this back to people's attention and also to alert you folks to the fact that Tom will apparently no longer be selling this after the 31st of this month (only two days left!) If you're at all interested in picking it up, I suggest you do so now before it's gone.

-Jim

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 29th, 2008, 4:17 pm

Thanks, Jim.

Tom's techniques DO work. I've watched him do them repeatedly and now, thanks to his instruction, I can do them too.

The priceless look on a spectator's face during the reveal of a thought-of card is just wonderful, and worth more time to develop than a lot of sleights...and a lot more satisfying to perform.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 30th, 2008, 3:59 pm

I also bought this back in December when David brought it to my attention here on the Forum. It is absolutely worth every penny. I don't believe there is another book on "Think of a Card" anywhere else in the canon of magic literature. There are indeed pages and chapters devoted to this effect, but not an entire book.

The "Out" that Mr. Baxter descibes at the end of the e-book is cunning...

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » January 30th, 2008, 4:36 pm

I've been enjoying this book since I purchased it on December 2. Not 'enjoying' by occasionally reading through it, but by grabbing a deck of cards and working on what he presents.

Tom Baxter has assembled a spectacular book that give a brief overview of similar items in the literature (Erdnase, Vernon, Berglas, Dingle, Hilliard, etc.) and follows that thread to his handlings, which have certainly allowed me to practice within parameters that make this effect obtainable. He also provides important details that make his 35 years of work with this apparent.

I would highly recommend this book, especially if this effect interests you.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 30th, 2008, 7:29 pm

I generally don't recommend things, but Tom's generosity in putting his knowledge and experience on paper was something that everyone needed to know about.

I understand that Tom will stop selling the book after tomorrow, January 31, 2008. So, if you have any interest in this subject, BUY IT NOW!

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » January 31st, 2008, 6:13 pm

Many thanks to David for his endorsement, and thanks to all those who purchased my e-book at his suggestion.

I'm gratified by the wonderful comments that buyers have posted on the forums and in their private emails to me.

Cheers,

T. Baxter

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 31st, 2008, 6:37 pm

Why would anyone stop selling something or put an artificial limit on it, as so many do with e-books?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » January 31st, 2008, 6:58 pm

I'm not sure why that's done; is it to create a supply/demand element?

In this particular case, I think the info is first-rate and it would benefit all parties involved in the transaction.
Jim Martin

St. Louis MO

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » January 31st, 2008, 7:10 pm

In my case, I put this item "out there" to share my discoveries with regard to the history and techniques on the Think-of-a-Card theme, and to put my name on some of the ideas I've come up with.

While the sales of this continue to be strong, I think it's good to have a wee bit of exclusivity with something like this. I believe that exclusivity engenders a certain pride of ownership, and I'm hoping that will translate to a respect for the material, and that in turn the material will be used well.

That's my reasoning for stopping sales of this item after today.

T. Baxter

jjsanvert

Postby jjsanvert » February 2nd, 2008, 2:24 am

This e-book is absolutly the best work ever made on the "Think of a Card" plot.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » February 2nd, 2008, 3:12 am

Pity it's an ebook rather than an actual book. Priced like an actual book, however.

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » February 2nd, 2008, 9:39 am

Just a note to say that people are still sending orders for A Card Merely Thought Of... even though the "end date" has passed.

I've returned the monies sent with a note that, to be fair to those who purchased before the deadline, I can't accept further orders.

Thanks to all who ordered, and apologies to those whose orders I've had to return.

T. Baxter

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » February 2nd, 2008, 10:05 am

Originally posted by Gangrini:
Pity it's an ebook rather than an actual book. Priced like an actual book, however.
The great thing about e-publishing is that a writer may publish and sell his work without the massive cost of printing and fulfillment thus making a profit from what is, by any measure, a tiny, tiny market.

In this particular situation, Tom was selling his many years of knowledge and experience. He was selling information to people who wanted to use it. Given that the format was electrons instead of paper and ink and that the price was similar to an "actual" book is of no import. When Annemann was selling his material in the 1930s he was charging $1 for a single sheet of paper during the Great Depression. To those who complained about the cost of a single piece of paper he would often reply that $1000 bill was also printed on a single sheet of paper.

What is important here is the level of the information in a form that was readily accessible to those who recognized its value. What Tom produced was cheap in comparison to value received as anyone who uses Tom's insights will quickly realize.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » February 2nd, 2008, 1:17 pm

Yes, perhaps you are right. I suppose I'm just more of a traditionalist than you.

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » February 2nd, 2008, 1:36 pm

Originally posted by Gangrini:
I suppose I'm just more of a traditionalist than you.
That's what Tevye said and you see how that turned out for him. (Love the song, though.)

A book can be judged by the value received. If a person values more the information conveyed, then it matters not whether the information was conveyed via ink-and-paper, digital bits, smoke signals, or hand gestures. If a person values more the space it takes up on the bookshelf then ebooks will simply not satisfy.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » February 2nd, 2008, 2:24 pm

True, true.

But, for me, one of the thrills of magic is collecting books and journals. Shiny new ones with whizz-bang graphics... ...old manuscripts that smell of Saratoga trunks and naphthalene, with frayed, browned, brittle paper... it's all good.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » February 2nd, 2008, 2:59 pm

There's always a printer and any one of the dozen home and office binding systems out there.
You can even get expensive leather covers and "perfect" bindings.

rage

Postby rage » February 2nd, 2008, 4:28 pm

This is the first and only e-book I have purchased. I am glad I did. It is excellent!
with an N

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » February 2nd, 2008, 7:22 pm

Don't get me wrong...I love my books as several here who know me will attest, but I know publishing (I owned a niche publishing company some years back) and understand the tiny market that those interested in Think Of A Card represents. Tom was wise to take this approach as it was the most efficient means of marketing the information he wanted to sell.

Having been a full-time working professional (now a museum director) I was always more interested in the information than the package it came in. Those of you old enough to remember the original publication of Corinda's 13 Steps will understand what I'm talking about. It wasn't remotely "pretty" or professional looking in its first incarnation, but the information! Ah, the information!

Much the same could be said for some, but certainly not all, of Al Mann's manuscripts.

Then there is the fabled "Color Series" by Phil Goldstein. Those were simply typed, Xeroxed, folded, stapled, and sold...minimalist publishing at best, yet I never heard anyone complain when they were paying hundreds of dollars for their original set to those of us who were smart enough to pick them up for $3 each when they first came out, one of magic's better bargains for many years.

And on books...I've said it before, the Berglas book, for all its high-end production values, was way under-priced for what it contained. The secondary auction market more accurately reflects its true value, and prices will only go up. I'm sorry I only bought one.

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » July 24th, 2010, 11:54 am

For those who may be interested, I'm bowing to the many requests I've received and am in the process of publishing a revised and expanded hard-cover edition of A CARD MERELY THOUGHT OF... with new contributions from David Alexander, Hector Chadwick, Mick Ayres and Sean Waters.

Here is a link to an ad that should explain it all:

http://thoughtcontrol.ca/A_Card_Merely_Thought_Of/

Cheers,

T. Baxter

Stan Willis

Postby Stan Willis » July 24th, 2010, 12:26 pm

Thanks Tom! The PayPal check is in the e-mail!

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » July 24th, 2010, 1:30 pm

I just placed my order for this book. Having purchased several items from Tom, including the original eBook, I can't wait to see the additions.

The thing I liked about the eBook was its very thorough and practical examination of the essential elements of having a card merely thought of, then revealing it. The alternate methods and thinking behind them are a real insight into success with this effect. The eBook was clearly written and illustrated.

Thanks Tom - looking forward to it.
Jim Martin

St. Louis MO

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » July 28th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Thank,s Jim.

Very kind of you to say so.

T. Baxter

Bob Taxin

Postby Bob Taxin » July 29th, 2010, 1:27 pm

When I read this thread I remembered that I had purchased the ebook way back when and I also remembered how much I enjoyed it. I dug it out of my "Documents" folder and then found that it was password protected and couldn't open it! I emailed Tom. He sent me what he thought was the password, but it didn't work. I emailed him again and he sent me a copy of the original with a new, functional password! What a guy! And as I re-read it, I realized that I really want the hardcover edition, with the additions. PayPal'd in the dough; I'm very much looking forward to receiving it! And talk about customer service! Thanks, Tom!
Bob Taxin

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » July 29th, 2010, 1:41 pm

I too can vouch for Tom Baxter as a stand-up guy. I ordered the Upton Rising Card he was selling a while back. I ordered it in mahogany. When it arrived, it came with a note apologizing for a small cosmetic defect in the wood. He included in the package a second Upton Rising Card set in walnut! He even offered to replace the mahogany set if I still wasn't happy.

I'm looking forward to reading this book.

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » July 29th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Bob, Mark:

Again, very kind of you to comment.

Refreshing, I must say.

Cheers,

T. Baxter

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » August 3rd, 2010, 12:49 pm

Just a heads-up to say that there are only about 20 books left unspoken for in the 100 First Hardcover Edition copies of A Card Merely Thought Of...

For those interested, click on the appropriate banner ad that shows up to the right, here (from time to time) and all will be revealed...

cheers,

T. Baxter

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » August 6th, 2010, 11:21 am

Only six copies left unspoken for!

Thanks to all who have been so supportive of this Fist Hardcover Edition of A Card Merely Thought Of...

Cheers,

T. Baxter

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » August 6th, 2010, 8:34 pm

The first hardcover edition has sold out.

Thanks to all those who ordered.

I may print a second edition, without the numbered/signed/dust-jacketed-extras if there is sufficient interest. I'm currently taking names for a waiting list, so let me know if you'd like to be included.

I'll leave the ad up for the month so that people can check the details and decide.

cheers,

T. Baxter

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » August 13th, 2010, 9:51 am

Thanks to all those who have written expressing interest in a second hardcover edition of A Card Merely Thought Of...

Demand seems to be sufficient to warrant a second edition, so this is a heads-up that I'm now accepting pre-orders. The ad banner is still here to your right (at times), and clicking on it will send you to the information page for ordering.

Or: http://thoughtcontrol.ca/A_Card_Merely_Thought_Of/

The second edition will likely ship in mid-September.
Thanks for your ongoing interest in this book.

T. Baxter

Stan Willis

Postby Stan Willis » August 21st, 2010, 12:43 pm

Received from PayPal this a.m. notification that my payment is being returned in reference to my order for "A Card Merely Thought Of". I'm wondering if anyone else received this e-mail from PayPal. The book was scheduled to ship the end of August.

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » August 21st, 2010, 6:15 pm

Stan:

Sorry, don't know what that's all about.

I'll check into it to see.

T. Baxter

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » August 21st, 2010, 6:55 pm

Stan,

I've looked into things and emailed you a note. Seems I never received your paypal payment. I have an email from you expressing interest in the book, but that's all I can find.

Perhaps you sent payment to an incorrect address, or maybe paypal.com just messed up.

In any case, email me and we'll arrange to get a book to you. Apologies for any frustration of confusion caused.

Cheers,

T. Baxter

Stan Willis

Postby Stan Willis » August 22nd, 2010, 7:59 am

Tom,

Will be resending payment for "A Card Merely Thought Of" this a.m. The notification of return payment from PayPal was due to the misplacement of the letter q instead of g in your e-mail address. I look forward to receiving the book now that this has been cleared up.

Thanks!

Stan

Stan Willis

Postby Stan Willis » August 22nd, 2010, 1:45 pm

Tom,

PayPal has notified me that the payment transaction was completed. It's a pleasure doing business with you.

Best Regards,

Stan

Return to “Light From the Lamp”