Garrett Thomas DVD review in Genii

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Steve Hook

Garrett Thomas DVD review in Genii

Postby Steve Hook » December 28th, 2005, 9:35 am

This is the bulk of an emailed comment from a friend today. Does anyone else feel that Garrett didn't get a fair shake from the review? I'm taking the time to post this because Garrett is one of the most impressive magicians and people I've met in the last ten years in magic (LVMI '02). Great guy, great magic (especially "Big Coin, Little Purse"...awesome!)

Comment from my friend:

"I thought that was a rather scathing review of Garrett Thomas' DVDs in the latest Genii, didn't you? I did think Garrett's presentations were much stronger on his trademark routines and somewhat weak on others. And, the crediting issue was something I noticed, as well. But, I thought the reviewer was especially hard on Garrett, and did not acknowledge how totally amazing and original some of his original routines are. If I had read this review, I doubt that I would have purchased the DVDs, which is ridiculous. Almost sounded like the reviewer has some sort of axe to grind."

Does this strike a chord with anyone else who has seen the DVDs?

Steve H

Steve Hook

Re: Garrett Thomas DVD review in Genii

Postby Steve Hook » December 29th, 2005, 7:56 pm

Peter Duffie, on the other hand, gives them a "recommended" review in MAGIC.

Any second thoughts, Dustin?

Steve

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » December 29th, 2005, 9:25 pm

I haven't read the review yet but I just got my set today (late Xmas present). I've only watched the performance segements and one explaination (Imaginary Coins). I don't want to watch the explaination for "Big Coin" yet because it's too nice a routine to spoil with knowlege...

The first two DVDs have a couple of "worth the price of the disk items".

The set is a really mixed bag. Some of it, like the Color Monte thing is weak or just plain bad. But the good stuff, like "Big Coin, Little Purse" and "Imagination Coins" is some of the best close up magic I've ever seen.

His coin work reminds me of Gary Kurtz, except that his presentations are better...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 29th, 2005, 10:01 pm

Dustin's having a little much-needed R&R so I'll reply on his behalf: reviews are subjective. One man's gold is another man's trash. Dustin didn't think much of the discs, but that's his point of view.
I find the idea that he "has some sort of ax to grind" offensive: it suggests a hidden agenda, which is absurd.
I've heard good things about the Garrett's work, but it's possible he got talked into doing a multiple disc set that he really couldn't handle. There is no excuse for the crediting problems, unless he gave the credits and L&L edited them out--but I haven't heard of them doing that sort of thing before.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » December 29th, 2005, 10:12 pm

Originally posted by Bill Duncan:
His coin work reminds me of Gary Kurtz, except that his presentations are better...
Whose?

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » December 30th, 2005, 4:16 am

Dustin, like many serious-minded students, has closely read many, many books and has seen just as many performances. The same can be said of a careful, closely scrutinizing reviewer such as Jamy Swiss. Their reviews are worth reading several times because whatever focus they choose (when reviewing a work) is refracted through a sizeable lens. Their criterias are well-developed.

As Ive said many times and in many places, the ultimate reviewer is the consumer reading the book or watching the DVD. If he is thorough, he will take into account what reviewers are saying, what compeers are saying, and what he thinks after he digests all of this information. What is useful about the Genii Forum is that we quickly have access to a variety of responsesall, alas, subjective. Everyone has an opportunity to chime in, agreeing, disagreeing, clarifying, and so on. This is fun and timely.

I havent seen Garretts DVDs, but after reading Dustins review and the comments on this Forum, I have incentive to do sobring to the experience ALL of the commentary. Afterwards, I will decide for myselfcontent with my subjective opinionsand trying not to confuse the subjects ability to perform, entertain, and deceive with the quality of their thinking, creativity, and scholarship.

Onwardand Happy New Year to all.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » December 30th, 2005, 11:00 am

Cameron,
Sorry. Clearly it was late when I wrote that. The sentance says that Kurtz's presentations are better, but what I was trying to convey is that GARRETT's presentations (for his coin work) are better than Kurtz's presentations for coin magic.

Gotta stop posting late at night... either that or proof read my posts more closely.

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2005, 12:04 pm

Thanks for clarifying.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 30th, 2005, 4:52 pm

Thanks Richard and Jon for your comments regarding my review of Garrett Thomass discs (and my reviews in general). It leaves me with less to say.

Steve Hook: Ask your friend how many more times I need to say that Garrett Thomas is a very skilled young man in my review. I said it twice, and that should be enough to make it clear that I believe that Garrett Thomas is a very skilled young man! I also had several positive things to say about his magic, including his excellent construction. These positives, however, are overlooked because I go into more detail on the negatives. There is, I believe, a very good reason for that.

When I say that a routine is well constructed and has a lot of magic that is clear in effect (as I said about Big Coin, Little Purse), enough really has been said. If I have the space, Ill try to go into detail. However, when I say that something is bad, I better go into detail because simply saying that something is an example of starting at the top and working down or is illogical is not enough. As a result of this detail, it appears as if I am harping on the negativegrinding an axe as it where. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have no axe to grind; no hidden agenda. I just believe that readers are more likely to ask why to broad-stroke negative comments than they are to broad-stroke positive ones, so I make sure that I explain my negative opinions to the best of my ability.

Beyond these comments, I have nothing to add or take away from my review of Inside the Mind of Garrett Thomas.

Dustin

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » December 30th, 2005, 5:25 pm

Thanks, Dustin. I understand where you're coming from re the longer negatives.

Steve

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2006, 4:11 pm

I recently recieved these DVD's and here are a few comments from somone who's not seen anything of Garretts before:

The first DVD is without doubt the best. It's obvious how much work he has put into his signature coin pieces and how long he has been performing them. The first two items on the DVD are performance only, which to me is just insulting. The DVD itself has just 8 effects on it. 2 of these are performance only, so it has really just 6 for the consumer to learn. Then, one of the items is a throw-away piece of magic, that's not very impressive (apples to oranges). So for your money you get 5 effects on the first DVD. Arguably, his "Big Coin Little Purse" routine is "Worth the price of the DVD", but that's not what you paid for, is it? Another routine on the first DVD, "Blank Deck" is an excellent routine with good utilisation and "milage" from the gimmick used. A personal note about his performance would be that he over handles cards and is very un natural in his break/turn over work.

The other 2 DVD's, while they contain nice pieces of magic and bits of off the wall thinking here and there could have been combined into 1 DVD, making it a 2 disc set and it's even ambitious at that. Another prime example of content being thinly spread across DVD sets to make the producers more money. A worrying trend. Lastly, I have to whole heartedly disagree that anything Mr. Thomas does is no where near the standard of the great Gary Kurtz, presentational or technically. But then again, IMO, no one is!

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » January 2nd, 2006, 6:13 pm

Shaun,
Don't misunderstand my statement. I have a huge amount of respect for Gary Kurtz's work. But I always thought the scripts for his coin magic were weak. He is a superb entertainer, with a dry wit that I find very appealing, but that never came through in any of his coin work that I saw. Garrett on the other hand has wonderful presentations for his coin magic, but some of his other stuff isn't to the same standard.

I think Garrett would have been better served by a two DVD set that allowed him to shine. As it is we're mumbling about "filler" instead of focusing on some superb close up magic.

Postby Guest » January 3rd, 2006, 1:29 am

Originally posted by Bill Duncan:
Shaun,
Don't misunderstand my statement. I have a huge amount of respect for Gary Kurtz's work. But I always thought the scripts for his coin magic were weak. He is a superb entertainer, with a dry wit that I find very appealing, but that never came through in any of his coin work that I saw. Garrett on the other hand has wonderful presentations for his coin magic, but some of his other stuff isn't to the same standard.

I think Garrett would have been better served by a two DVD set that allowed him to shine. As it is we're mumbling about "filler" instead of focusing on some superb close up magic.
Ah I see - in that case I would tend to agree ;)

Yes - it sad that the 'filler' issue comes into a magic review once again, but it really is depressing how this is becoming the norm.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 3rd, 2006, 1:46 am

Originally posted by Steve Hook:
Does anyone else feel that Garrett didn't get a fair shake from the review?
The nub of Steve's question is "was the review fair", and we can ask one another what 'fair' means and debate the role of critics forever.

As a writer and former Genii video reviewer, and as a current reviewer for the magazine I edit, The Magic Circular, this question often arises.

I gave a less than wondereful review to a Terry Herbert video some years back and got lambasted here on the Forum by my friend, David 'Silly Billy' Kaye. Since moving to England I've become friendly with Terry and have had the opportunity to explain in greater depth why I didn't think his video was top notch (he's since released a new DVD, "Magic for Under 5s" that is, in my opinion, first rate). I got called names, was told I was ignorant, and all the rest.

A reviewer tries to provide a guide for a potential consumer. He might, and in my opinion should, do more -- entertain, inform and enlighten his readers. Ultimately, those who know the creator of the item, or fans, will bring other matters to bear on their opinion, and rally to the creator's defense, and that's fine.

The opinions here on the forum detailing others' views as to the shortcomings of the Thomas videos show that, at least, there is almost always a difference of opinion as to how high up on the scale something should be rated.

Steve's implication that Garrett did not get a 'fair shake' is the sort of comment that implies (whether Steve meant to or not) a hidden agenda or lack of credentials on the part of the reviewer, and I think Steve needs to better phrase his comments in the future to remove that implication and just disagree with the review.

Matt Field

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » February 18th, 2006, 7:46 am

I have not seen garretts dvd... reviews can be not fair and mean.... all iknow is garrett thomas is a great magician and he fooled me bad many times. he is well worth the money.

chris

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » February 18th, 2006, 8:01 am

as a friend always said who is reviewing the reveiwers. garrett is a confidant performer who needs no defense his skill speaks for its self. KARMA COMES TO ALL

BFLO

SCANDAL

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 18th, 2006, 10:11 am

Originally posted by scandal:
as a friend always said who is reviewing the reveiwers.
People here on the Genii forum.

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » February 18th, 2006, 3:40 pm

well there ya go

Postby Guest » February 18th, 2006, 6:21 pm

Originally posted by scandal:
as a friend always said who is reviewing the reveiwers. garrett is a confidant performer who needs no defense his skill speaks for its self. KARMA COMES TO ALL

BFLO

SCANDAL
What form will karma take when it gets around to you for subjecting the 2005 LVMI attendees to your 'comedian' friend's act?

Just asking.

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2006, 10:18 am

Oh yes, the 'comedian'....I'm still LMAO!! One of the few memorable performers at that convention!! I love recounting that episode.

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » February 24th, 2006, 4:45 pm

I never regret hiring potter for the lvmi. It has to be the most talked about thing that has ever happened at the lvmi. All I wanted was for people to talk about the lecture when it was over so I hired a comedian. Yes he did go further than I thought he would go and I have already apologized for that. Karma has got me in many ways in my life teaching me valuable lessons. But in the end I took a chance at the LVMI and I was different and to me thats what life is about taking chances. I live with no regret... and all these internet posts about potter a year later proves I made the right decision. Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aide.

Postby Guest » February 24th, 2006, 10:12 pm

scandal,
I think I was one of the few laughing during Potters' performance. Your risky venture is applauded. Without risk, there's no reward. sure he crossed the line, but he's a comedian. thats what comedians do. so in that respect, he was successful.

The majority of the magicians in the audience that afternoon missed several important lessons from his performance. If they could just get over the obvious, Potters higher level entertainment devices would be more apparent.

Not only were those few minutes the most memorable of the convention, but the most valuable in my book. life's too short to take ourselves that seriously.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”