Question about Nymans Killer Elite

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Robert Allen

Question about Nymans Killer Elite

Postby Robert Allen » April 9th, 2003, 7:47 am

This is a trick where the participant is shown 4 postcards representing mini-movie posters from violent/killer movies, and the one he chooses ends up matching a prediction by the magician. My question is, do you get enough props that you can "predict" any of the 4 posters, or must it always be the same one? It's a very neat looking trick and I've love to show it a particular friend, but I'd rather have multiple outs than having to force one of the movies (particularly since I have a good idea which "movie" he'd pick).

If you don't want to post the answer here feel free to email me at ottomatik@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks!

Pete McCabe

Re: Question about Nymans Killer Elite

Postby Pete McCabe » April 9th, 2003, 9:35 am

There is no force. The spectator can select any movie.

Postby Guest » April 9th, 2003, 10:14 am

An interesting factor, is that the movie, "Taxi Driver", will be most often chosen...especially by men.(the movie strikes a deep chord in many that is very compelling) At a lecture at The Magic Castle, I believe Andy Nyman confirmed this.

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » November 7th, 2003, 7:05 am

Well I was finally able to get a copy of Killer Elite off ebay (new). As a 6 year old trick it's slightly difficult to find. I was planning on putting in a few days to get my patter and routining down before being able to do this for a friend who loves these movies. Then I read the provided routine and looked at the props:

1) the routine as documented cannot be performed with the props provided. This is of course a multiple out trick, and you can't start with the items in the provided envelope and remove them at the start of the trick (thus giving a reason to have the envelope there) without exposing one of 2 different outs. I've tried several alternate handlings and the only solution I can see is to go buy a longer envelope to conceal one of the outs when you remove the packet of postcards at the start.

2) Of the 4 cards provided for the spec. to choose from, 3 are top quality, glossy finished postcards all of the same size, with the standard addressing/stamp lines on the back. The 4th card is some sort of color xerox on heavy card stock, slightly larger than the other cards and with a dull finish instead of a glossy finish. The back does not have the postcard lines, which means this card looks different from the others front and back (which is annoying in a multi-choice trick, unless the intent is to prevent this one from being chosen. Since it has the weakest out, this is possible I suppose).

There are those who will say I'm just whining needlessly about a $15 trick. My only comment is, how hard would it have been to cross the T's and dot the I's on this otherwise very fun trick?

Postby Guest » November 7th, 2003, 8:43 am

Andy Nyman also has his own web site with a shopping cart of great effects.

www.andynyman.com

www.JeffEzellMAGIC.com

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » November 7th, 2003, 8:59 am

Thanks for the link! I've (heh heh) shot off my questions to Andy Nyman.

Postby Guest » November 7th, 2003, 9:14 am

Try Diceman by Andy Nyman. It is a great effect!

www.JeffEzellMAGIC.com

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » December 1st, 2003, 8:30 pm

Hey, Robert:
The qualities of the trick that you find disheartening are actually advantages in my routine, and you can use them to create a blockbuster effect. This fifteen dollar trick is now one of my favorite things to perform.
I patter about how important it is for the spectator to be absolutely sure that I'm not in any way influencing his/her choice, despite the numerous ways that I may do so. Then, I spend a large amount of time actually describing the subtle ways I might be trying to nudge him in a certain direction. For example, the difference in card stock might be a way of getting him to choose that card. The fact that 3 of the 4 cards are shaded in primary black/white/red colors, while one is green might be a tactic. The fact that three of the characters are wielding guns while one is hidden might be a factor. I mention one of the characters as my personal favorite - maybe there's a nudge. I mention one of the actor's making a comeback with this popular role, and that later weighs on their mind. I mention one of the actor's as possibly the greatest actor of his generation - that may have an effect on their decision. I place one of the cards closest to them. Another card I gently touched. I remind them that in the actual films depicted, only one character actually survives - maybe this is important. The point is, I bombard them with so much meaningful(?) information, that the ulitmate meaninglessness(!) is heightened, and the humor of their eventual choice is accented. By the time they make up their mind - they're practically sweating, because they've attached an artificial importance to the proceedings - they don't want to mess things up! It's very funny to watch and I get as much as ten entertaining minutes from this fifteen dollar trick. As for the one card being a bit bigger - that actually helps in the handling. Place it on the bottom of the cards you will be pulling out of the envelope (the remaining out is tucked in way beneath it), and it makes pulling out the four cards very easy - there's no fumbling. I simply open the flap, grab the biggest card, and the other three "visible" ones ride out on top of it. It happens so quickly as I patter that nobody (and I mean nobody, in countless performances) has ever noticed the miniscule flash of white as I use the cards themselves to close the flap. There is no need to get a bigger envelope. In fact, I still use the cheap, thin, ugly brown envelope that came with the trick. It's worn and ragged, and actually adds personality to this quirky trick. As for what you termed the weakest out, it's perfectly fine, provided you forget the instruction to write the words in small letters as you would a real letter - instead boldly print them on the whole front side - make a statement! As for guys always choosing Taxi Driver - it's easy to subvert by simply mentioning that most people choose Taxi Driver! In fact, it's fun and easy to actually lead people to whatever choice you want - if they don't pick your favorite right off the bat, then tell them you're going to give them one (and only one) chance to change their mind; after that they're forever locked. This simple ruse works in my favor, and they usually switch to a better choice. Granted, my personality and experience helps me tremendously in this effect, but I know that by injecting a bit of these tips into your unique handling, you'll get better results, and more importantly, enjoy the effect much more than you currently do. If you give it a try, you'll be rewarded. If you don't - well, that's just one less magician doing a trick that I adore. Best of luck!
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Return to “Light From the Lamp”