Constant Fooling

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
timbrown
Favorite Magician: Frank Garcia

Constant Fooling

Postby timbrown » January 4th, 2003, 5:45 am

I have finally managed to get some time to peruse my Christmas gift (the two volume "Constant Fooling by David Regal) and I must agree with the positive reviews that I read concerning these books. Although I have only really skimmed them (like a stone skipping across a deep water) I have stopped a few times to sink beneath the surface and I really like what I see.

Yesterday I purchased a "Barrel of Monkeys" and today I plan to torture these poor creatures with a burning hot needle. What fun!! I know that the monkey effect will be a joy to perform and an even greater pleasure to watch.

I can't wait to start practicing.

Have a great day>

Tim Brown

Jeff Eline

Re: Constant Fooling

Postby Jeff Eline » January 4th, 2003, 7:18 am

I have also really enjoyed these two books. The effects using removable double stick tape are great. I've loved fooling (constantly) with different ways ofutilizing the tape in an effect.

Although I haven't had the time to assemble all the necessary props, the trick "The card that could not be found" sounds like a lot of fun!

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » January 5th, 2003, 10:12 pm

Thank God I read Nork's complaint before I opened these books - I just got them from Hocus-Pocus on Friday - I haven't opened them yet- Maybe they'll take them back - I don't need another headache

Dave

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 5th, 2003, 10:27 pm

You can buy sunglasses cheap!
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 6th, 2003, 2:30 pm

I don't think the Constant Fooling books have any more glare problem than any other publication on glossy paper.

Postby Guest » February 8th, 2003, 9:37 pm

The routine called "Journey to Love" is wonderful. I could see someone like Jeff Hobson getting a good ten minutes out of this routine. Between the effect itself and all the theatrical embelishment this could play really well.

I'm also in the midst of making my very own "Rodent in the box". Don't try this at the next nursing home :eek: gig you have!

Pete

David Regal

Postby David Regal » February 10th, 2003, 12:20 am

Pete -

I'm so glad you discovered that trick. I've just concluded a week in The Parlor of The Magic Castle, doing all mentalism (if one can call what I do that) and featuring "Journey to Love" in the middle of my set. I don't think I've ever had more fun on stage. I get to pick out the prettiest girl in the room and slow dance with her to The Carpenters' "Close to You". When I was in Jr. High, I'd worry about asking a girl to dance. Will she like me? Will she hate me? Now, I get to walk out, face the audience, look over the crowd and say to myself "In a few minutes I'll be dancing with...HER." Does life get any better?

Also, since I do "The Very Last Card" as my closer, I didn't want to use playing cards in this effect as well, so I used children's flash cards for the needed representation of numbers. Lots of comedy opportunities.

I have become a pig-headed little man, and I have to say I love the construction of this effect. My small contribution to Don Wayne and Larry Becker's work has resulted in a routine that is one that tickles me every time I launch into it. I hope you get a chance to use it.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » February 10th, 2003, 6:34 am

David,

I didn't get to do my annual "Halloween-show-at-the-bar" for my friends this year (Richard had a tight deadline for the January seance issue), but those were the two tricks that really appealed to me and which I had planned to use. Because it was to be a Halloween show, I was going to substitute Bates Motel for Econo-Lodge. (Prompting the line, "Not a problem! We just won't take a shower!") The "grandfather exhumation" was also perfect for a Halloween show. It struck me that a top hat would be more aesthetically pleasing than a wastebasket and more "magical." But as you say, fantastic construction to these tricks.

timbrown
Favorite Magician: Frank Garcia

Postby timbrown » February 10th, 2003, 6:36 am

I have been getting a good response from David's "Prophecy Pack" but with a slight change from the original. I use two decks - one blue and one red. I reverse the force card in the straight deck (instead of writing the prediction on a slip of paper, force the gaffed deck using the "magician's choice" and proceed with the effect.

This allows me to switch in a deck and proceed with my routine.

David - your stuff is great but I am still having a hard time explaining to my wife just why I HAD to buy a "Barrel of Monkeys" and why I then had to pierce each of them with a hot needle. I've yet to perform this effect for her (she is the "acid test" for my performances)and I'm beginning to believe that she thinks I'm slipping into immaturity.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » February 10th, 2003, 1:14 pm

Far better than slipping into maturity.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 10th, 2003, 7:57 pm

Having watched the "Regal One" slow dance with a killer dame in the Parlour of Mysery at the Tragic Castle last night... it made me want to come out of retirement.

I was really curios though, how many people were laughing real loud at things I didn't think were very funny. They were in hysteria. :D

Oh, David me Bucko... you can't drive from Portland to San Francisco fast enough... take the train. :p
Stay tooned.

David Regal

Postby David Regal » February 11th, 2003, 11:26 pm

Oh, so that was YOU not laughing.

I decided to bag the drive. I'm returning the rental car and flying - I'll ship stuff to San Fran.

Postby Guest » February 14th, 2003, 3:45 pm

Although this isn't in either volume of "Constant Fooling" it's a wonderful lesson in how to take a standard routine/prop and imbue it with some life and comedic byplay with an audience member.

The routine is in an issue of "Magical Arts Journal". I don't recall what issue but I will be happy to look it up if anyone is interested. I believe the article is called "Peaks & Valleys" and is a routine for the McCombical deck. It plays really well for corporate banquet and family audiences, packs small plays big, and it's funny. What's not to like?

I was in an improvisational comedy troupe much like the one Mr. Regal mentions in the article and used this routine a lot.

Best regards,

Pete

Return to “Light From the Lamp”