Good Buys

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
John Pezzullo

Good Buys

Postby John Pezzullo » September 18th, 2002, 2:37 pm

I'll keep it brief. Here are three 'good buys':

Good Buy #001
"Small But Deadly - The Packet Trickster's Handbook" by Paul Hallas. You'll find more information on Paul's web site:

http://members.madasafish.com/~phmagic/

Good Buy #002
"Profiles In Coinage" by Scott F. Guinn. A listing of the book's contents can be found at:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 2&forum=47

Scott's e-mail address is:

greatscottmagic@msn.com

Good Buy #003
I recently renewed my subscription to Jon Racherbaumer's web site. If you have any interest whatsoever in 'fiddling with the pasteboards', sign up for Premium Membership. You won't regret it.

http://www.jonracherbaumer.com/

Re: Good Buys

Postby Guest » September 18th, 2002, 3:08 pm

I have never been good at good buys. Sorry couldn't resist, thanks for the info.

Noah Levine

Postby Guest » September 23rd, 2002, 8:05 am

Genii mag is a pretty good buy for the price too.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 23rd, 2002, 12:09 pm

The best buys in magic: 1) The Dover reprint of Expert at the Card Table; 2) The Dover reprint of Hofzinser's Card Magic; 3) The Robbins reprint of Cliff Green's Professional Card Magic.
Actually, those are all card books.
The best buy in magic, really, is a simple set of sponge balls.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » September 23rd, 2002, 8:38 pm

Expert at the Card Table:
Dover: $8.95
Lybrary.com $5.00

Hofzinser's Card Conjuring:
Dover out of print
Lybrary.com $5.00

Chris Wasshuber
preserving magic one book at a time

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 23rd, 2002, 9:57 pm

Originally posted by Chris Wasshuber:
Expert at the Card Table:
Dover: $8.95
Lybrary.com $5.00

Hofzinser's Card Conjuring:
Dover out of print
Lybrary.com $5.00

Chris Wasshuber
preserving magic one book at a time
Don't forget the $10 for the CD and $3.50 shipping & handling...

Do you think you could try and not shove your ebooks down our throat? Honestly, the main reason I HAVEN'T tried buying something from you is that you CONSTANTLY plug your ebooks whenever someone even remotely mentions one you have available. I know I'm not the only one annoyed by this -- do you think you could lighten up a little, and maybe BUY ad space like the rest of the world?

-Jim

Postby Guest » September 23rd, 2002, 10:09 pm

Jim Maloney:

Although Chris's horn tooting is, shall we say, consistant, I must say in a thread about Good Buys his post is both appropriate and appreciated. Give the guy a break, wouldja? He is, after all, almost singlehandedly creating a new medium for conveying our beloved art.

--Randy Campbell

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 23rd, 2002, 10:23 pm

Originally posted by Randy Campbell:
Jim Maloney:

Although Chris's horn tooting is, shall we say, consistant, I must say in a thread about Good Buys his post is both appropriate and appreciated. Give the guy a break, wouldja? He is, after all, almost singlehandedly creating a new medium for conveying our beloved art.

--Randy Campbell
You could be right...it may fit in this thread (even though the cost works out to be more than the Dover editions, something he conveniently didn't mention) I'd probably less annoyed about it being here if I didn't see it everywhere else. I bite my tongue (or fingers...whatever) everytime I see one of his posts, but I can't stand it anymore, and frankly, I'm surprised he's allowed to continually do it. New medium or not, he should have the same respect for us that other dealers do. If Louis Falanga came in here and made a post everytime someone mentioned Michael Ammar ("We've got all of his videos for only $30! On DVD, too! -L&L Publishing, preserving Michael Ammar doing other people's tricks one video at a time"), are you telling me you wouldn't get annoyed? Or, say, the folks at MagicSmith, Denny's, or any of the countless other online dealers? Personally, I don't see the need to a plug EVERY single time a slight mention is made!

Give him a break? No, I think he should give US a break.

But that's just my opinion...

-Jim

PS - I'm sorry if I'm coming off harshly...this just annoys the heck out of me.

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » September 23rd, 2002, 11:43 pm

I am with Jim Maloney on this one.

While I am sure that Chris Wasshuber is a neat guy and that his products are cool (I am excited about the Giobbi Card College series), the constant barrage of smug plugs is getting tiresome.

From a business perspective, over market saturation is potentially annoying to a niche audience. Magic is most certainly one of the smaller niche markets of the world.

As far as I know, it is not a good idea to annoy customers or potential customers. I have experienced it in my corporate life and I assure you that it can quickly destroy a business. Plus, recovery is a nightmare.

I think Chris would better serve his important goals by crafting and placing his comments with greater care and less frequency. That would add to their attention getting power and value rather than detract. Purchasing a print ad or perhaps a few banner ads would not hurt either.

I want to see Chris' venture succeed, but I think Jim is right. If Chris does not adjust his guerilla marketing strategy he may repel a tiny market and his very cool project will never get a chance to reach its full potential. :)

Kevin Wiese

Postby Kevin Wiese » September 24th, 2002, 8:35 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
[2) The Dover reprint of Hofzinser's Card Magic; 3) The Robbins reprint of Cliff Green's Professional Card Magic.

Are either of these currently available or out of print?

Kevin Wiese

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » September 24th, 2002, 11:30 am

Jim, Robert,

just to correct a false statement by Jim. "The Expert at the Card Table" can be downloaded from my site without incurring the $10 charge for a custom CD. This means you can get it for $5.00 almost half the price from Dover or Amazon if you include shipping cost from these places.

"Hofzinser's Card Conjuring" cannot be downloaded and has to be put on a custom CD. If you only buy this one book it will cost you $5+$10+$1.50 (or $3.50 if by priority mail). Since this book is out of print $15 seems to me still a great buy. Furthermore, you could put several more ebooks on the same CD. Then the fractional cost per ebook can be very small. If you take 10 ebooks it is just $1 - but I am sure you can figure that out yourself.

I agree that some of my past posts have been borderline in terms of being appropriate. But the posts here are clearly justified. I didn't say that my ebooks are a steal. Richard thinks that some Dover books are a good buy. Well, I think I have proven that my electronic versions of these books are a lot cheaper. Which means they are an even better buy. Of course, if you don't like ebooks, then you cannot benefit from this special offer I have.

Chris Wasshuber
preserving magic one book at a time.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » September 27th, 2002, 1:11 pm

Check out, "Mojo Boogie Boxes." For $30 you get three coin boxes and three routines. The routines are completely different from any previous routines and don't use any of the usual turnover and sleight-of-hand moves.

Okay, this is a product out of my line -- but I really marketed it so people could see the wonderful work master craftsman Roy Kueppers can do.

By way of comparison: $15 will get you ONE coin box from those other guys and NO routine (unless you consider a 1-page instruction sheet that hasn't changed in 30 years, a routine).

amakar

Postby amakar » October 15th, 2002, 11:31 am

Hi All -

If you're looking for some great buys, let me suggest Ron Bauer's Private Study Series.
Each effect is ONLY $10.00 and the lessons in the series are invaluable. (Can you remember the last time you were able to buy GREAT magic for only $10.00)

If you're tired of all the same-old-same-old "show and tell magic" that has flooded the market and want to consider something exciting and extremely entertaining, then check out one of the Private Studies Performance scripts.

These effects are uniquely different from all the other effects on the market because they first start out with a premise that creates an interesting plot that your audiences are immediately interested in.

If you know anything about "THE Underground Legend" then you know Ron's material is well thought-out, extremely entertaining, and can be performed without learning any knuckle-busting moves.

I found the scripts at http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com/

I've been working with the latest series for over the past 3 years and have had a lot of fun performing them.

Have fun!

Andy

Postby Guest » October 15th, 2002, 12:02 pm

Amakar

I know what you mean about the Ron Bauer material. That stuff is great! I'm a former employee of Malon's Magic Bar in Boca Raton, FL so I've seen and performed a lot of different material. The Private Studies are simply the BEST I'VE EVER SEEN FOR ENTERTAINING THE PUBLIC!!! They never cease to kill at the bar I currently do magic at.

Postby Guest » October 15th, 2002, 7:20 pm

Hey gratetom,

Being a bartender, which tricks in the Private Studies work best for you behind the bar?

Are there any that you'd recommend to restaurant workers? I've been filling in for a magician at Max and Erma's and am looking for some stuff that plays well.

I'm getting a little tired of the invisible deck and sponge balls.

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2002, 9:16 am

Hello Bag O Tricks,

For a restaraunt worker I would recommend all of the Private Studies! It's the only material I've ever performed that plays no matter what kind of an audience you are working for. If I had to pick two favorites for the restaraunt, I would say they are "Butch, Ringo, and the Sheep" and "Fair and Sloppy". With regards to tricks for the bar Ron Bauer was kind enough to teach me a couple of the upcoming releases, "Senator Crandell's Cut-up Card Trick" and the "Second Finger Top Deal". They are the two most talked about tricks I do behind the bar. I think this will change though as I am about to debut the "Siamese Goose Egg Bag".
Hope that helped and let me know how it goes.

THE GRATE TOM

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » November 18th, 2002, 11:19 am

Small But Deadly sounds like a fun book but $50 doesn't sound like a "Best Buy." It recieved good reviews though and if you're interested in packet tricks it might be worth your time.

Postby Guest » November 18th, 2002, 12:33 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
The best buys in magic: 1) The Dover reprint of Expert at the Card Table; 2) The Dover reprint of Hofzinser's Card Magic; 3) The Robbins reprint of Cliff Green's Professional Card Magic.
Hi Richard:

Now that it's back in print, I really feel we must include another Dover book, Henning Nelms' "Magic and Showmanship: A Handbook for Conjurors." One of the top ten books EVER in magic, IMNSHO. :cool:

Cheers,

Eric
Henning Magic

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2002, 7:07 am

good buys in magic today?

well here's one: ME!

(sorry couldn't resist :) )

Get out of the casual!

Pete

Jerry Harrell

Postby Jerry Harrell » November 20th, 2002, 12:29 pm

Forgive me, Mr Kaufman, but I humbly beg to disagree. The best buy in magic by far is that magazine you took over and turned into a monthly bonanza of the best thinking in magic today.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”