Is "Jarrett" the book of the year?

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Is "Jarrett" the book of the year?

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 18th, 2001, 11:28 am

Jim Steinmeyer's new book on Guy Jarrett is one of the best books I've read in a long time. It could be the book of the year ... what do you think?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Is "Jarrett" the book of the year?

Postby Matthew Field » July 18th, 2001, 4:16 pm

The "Complete Jarrett" is a spectacular book. I'm not enamoured of illusions, but Jim Steinmeyer's books are some of the best in magic. I loved the original Steinmeyer/Jarrett book, and I remember having lively discussions with David Roth about the madman/genius Jarrett (also in the car: Kaufman and Mark Phillips).

I'm hoping the Tamariz memo deck book will be out this year in English, but thus far "The Complete Jarrett" tops my list.

Matt Field

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » July 23rd, 2001, 6:05 pm

What is new or different this time around? This is the 3rd time I can think of that "Jarrett" has been for sale.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 23rd, 2001, 6:33 pm

This time, the entire Jarrett book has been reproduced in facsimile with no changes or corrections. There is tons of new material that is not in prior editions, both historical and methodological. Steinmeyer tracked down one of Jarrett's relatives, who had lots of scrapbooks, photos, etc.
Steve, have you read Paul Cummins' review in the August Genii?
Trust me--this book belongs in your library! :)

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » July 24th, 2001, 1:04 pm

Yes, I had read Paul's review, and that's why I was confused. I already own a copy of Jarrett that was, if I recall correctly, also put out by Steinmeyer. Hence I didn't understand what was new (or, assuming a lot was new, why it was left out of the previous edition).

Steve Bryant

Postby Steve Bryant » July 26th, 2001, 3:54 pm

Mike Close's review more adequately explains the new (old?) version. So this book goes onto the "buy" list.

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2001, 4:36 pm

Matt, with ALL due respect to Juan Tamariz (and yes he's one of my heroes too), do not expect too much from the Tamariz books on the memorized deck. I've read these in Spanish right after they were released (FISM 2000) and while I *cannot* say that the material described in them is disappointing, I can't say there is anything really earthshaking, either. I actually found the best parts in the books were the "how to memorize a deck" part (he gives a wealth of info and methods) and, above all, the bibliography at the end of Vol. 2 that is one of the most exhaustive studies on the topic, complete with comments from Tamariz, etc.

But then again...we can't blame Tamariz for having kept the best stuff, which simply isn't in the book- and anyone who saw him at FISM 2000 (or anywhere else) won't contradict me, I think.

Seb.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » August 3rd, 2001, 9:43 am

Originally posted by Sebastian Clergue:
do not expect too much from the Tamariz books on the memorized deck.

Uh-oh.

Matt Field

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 3rd, 2001, 12:07 pm

It's quite possible that Tamariz put his best material into the book at the time the book was written, several years ago. I'm sure he has developed more material since then, and that is possibly what was seen at FISM.
I have personally experienced this issue many times when doing books with people who are constantly developing new material. By the time the book gets written, illustrated, and printed, the material is already several years old at least. Not that there's anything wrong with good magic, whenever it was created, but the creater has often come up with more material in the interim and people want to know why it isn't in the book!

Chris Gillett

Postby Chris Gillett » August 3rd, 2001, 12:50 pm

I have read the first few chapters of volume one and agree with Sebastian that the chapter on memorization techniques is excellent. Using just one of Juan's suggestions, I was able to achieve instant recall working about two hours a day for a week. Of course, instant recall does not mean that it is yet performance-ready, but I am still very impressed with the results.

Perhaps the English version will include additional material.

Does anyone know if Krenz is still the translator of this book?

Postby Guest » August 3rd, 2001, 1:24 pm

Yes, Juan will always have new material to fool magicians and the rest of the universe.
The only think I can say about the book is- Thank you Juan for sheering whit as overt 30 years of your live-.
I have read the book and I am studying it. It is a very, very, serious job. Highly RECOMMEND IT .
What is earthshaking , is the way Juan does it.

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » August 3rd, 2001, 2:18 pm

I proof-read the first draft of >Tamariz's book 6 years ago. Much later, since it took so long to finish, he decided to re-do the whole thing, and the process became longer because of that. And I'd say most of what he does, and made his memorized-deck reputation with, is there.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”