Peter Loughran's Elevator

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.

Peter Loughran's Elevator

Postby Guest » March 8th, 2003, 6:24 pm

Today I had a demo of the "elevator" which is a levitation illusion that is advertised by Hocus Pocus as a full page ad. The person who personally demoe'd it did a good job, but it wasn't at all like the printed advertisements, although, to Peter's credit his online videos are true to life asuuming you have complete control over lighting.

I would like to hear from others who have seen it or own it and how they compare the real thing to the full page advertisements.

Re: Peter Loughran's Elevator

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2003, 3:05 am

Mark,

Im confused what isn't true about the effect thats stated in the ad, the picture? Yes the picture is enhanced, I will admit that, this is the case with most ads, but we have a video demo that shows the illusion as if you were really there, we have nothing to hide, and in the ad it does state you levitatie 3-4 inches which is true.

But you DO NOT need special lighting and every Elevator owner can tell you that. The only reason why you would need special lighting is if you wanted to shine some unabstructed spot lights under your feet to prove nothing was there, which is a great effect. But the demo videos clearly show several camera shots in full lighting including a close up and one outside on the street in broad day light.

If you wanted to know what others think about the Elevator, check out these links...

Visions online ezine review

Corey King\'s and others review at The Magic Cafe

More reviews from the Cafe

Even more reviews from the Cafe

Review from Magic tricks.co.uk

Genii member\'s views so far

Ok I think that should answer some questions.

Thanks for your interest Mark.

P.

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2003, 4:04 am

Some one just deleted their post as I posted this, but they had asked if the video was misleading, so this was the answer I was posting as they were deleting...lol, sorry.

NO!! Not at all.

I remember that King's Rising was filmed by Ellusionist and they left out a couple of key parts to the presentation in fears of people figuring it out and then just doing it themselves without buying it. And I can certainly understand their logic behind that as it is simply information you are purchasing, and some thinks well I figured it out and now I don't have to buy it.

But at the risk of people figuring out the Elevator we decided to show them the presentation as if you were really there anyway. In some shots the camera gets really low to the ground and pans several angles, to show you what this would look like if you were really there. I mean it's pretty hard to do a levitation and tell people to stand at a certain angle and remain still as a statue so they won't see anythng. People are curious and will move about durring your levitation, so thats what we tried to recreate in the video someone getting close to the ground trying to look under the feet, moving from one side to the other...etc.

We also video taped the performance from start to finish, and in some cases keeping the camera on just the feet and some of full body so you can see we weren't hiding anypart of the presentation or set up involved. I wanted to be fair, so that you would not be disappointed when you purchased it and for you to see what it really looks like in action, no strings attached(no pun intended). That kind of honesty is hard to find these days in demos and advertisements. Im not misleading anyone, and everything the ad states in it's text is completely true.

Regardless if you figure it out or not by watching the video over and over agian, If you like the effect we beleive you will still want to purchase and perform our excellent quality gimmick that will last you a lifetime, and with it we include a 10 page manuscript, and a 20 min cd rom.

P.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 9th, 2003, 7:44 am

The only thing I would say about the video on Peter's web site is that when there is a close-up of his feet the setting is extremely dark and it's very difficult to see. When the illusion is shown in normally lit conditions, such as on the street, the camera is much further away.
I remember, decades ago before the Balducci levitation was being done by everyone's grandmother, and it remained buried in print in The Pallbearers Review, that David Roth used to do it and fry the hell out of people.
The problem with all of these types of three inch levitations is that they make no sense. If you can rise two or three inches, then why can't you levitate two or three feet? Blaine figured that out, that's why his last shot was a fake one--that's what stayed in the minds of the TV audience. No one can replicate that fake levitation on the street in real life, and so everyone is standing on their toes. Good luck!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2003, 8:56 am

Richard,

I think it all depends on your presention really.
It will be the performer who makes it beleivable or "make sense".
For instance you could escape from a gimmicked straight jacket in seconds but thats to quick to seem like a real escape, but when you drag it out it, struggling etc., it them seems more beleivable to your audience.

So with a self levitation, if you simply walk up to someone and say hey watch me float a few inches in the air...well like you were getting at..woopty doo. But if you were to do lets say a seance type of effect, one of the presentations described in our manuscript, in an intimate setting holding onto the hands of your spectators. Telling them that what they are about to witness(not telling them you are going to levitate) but that what your are about to do is something rare, very difficult to do, and may not work, but you will try. As you hold onto their hands in a semi circle around you, you have them concentrate on your feet as you attempt to find a cushion of air and elevate on it. At that moment you float! Everyone we have showed this to presented in this way freak out. Then once you have subtly convinced them that there is no gimmicks by showing the bottom of your feet, etc. You have just convinced them you have done real magic, and entertained them greatly, leaving them beleiving that magic could still be real...to me that makes sense.

Also one more thing to add, Im confused? If you can levitate a few feet in the air like Blaine's camera trick, then to the audience in theroy shouldn't he just be able to levitate a 100 feet? Perhaps to the top of a building or something, or wouldn't he be able to fly around like Mr. Copperfield has done? So the same queston applies, why also stop at a couple of feet(if you are outside like he was)?

P.

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2003, 9:34 am

I hope I didn't step into a nest of snakes here. I did not mean to insult anybody. I just wanted an honest opinion and I think that I did get one or three.

The online video does show what it truly looks like. The ad photo is a bit enhanced. I had it demonstrated to me indoors (where there is no shadows of any sustiantiality), and the demonstration was very like the video, but not quite up to par yet, the owner still needs some practice. He showed it to me so he could get input on making it look better. We jammed with it for several hours and he left pretty excited

I think he is very satisfied with his purchase.

At the young Age of 44, I'm not quite as flexible as I used to be so it would take some loosening up on my part if I were to attempt to perform it. The concept and construction is brilliant, and it has the advantage of beeing impromptu anywhere, but I guess my beef was that the ad didn't NEED any touch up, and then, as a magic consumer I'd be more happy if I were to buy it just based upon the printed ad. The printed copy is true, the device is diabolical and if performed correctly it unexplainable.

In my opinion ALL ads should be honest without touchup or embellishment, whether it's for ketchup or the latest illusion. As an example, next time you're at the hardware store, seek out a package of a glue called "JB WELD". The package makes all sorts of wild claims that just don't seem possible, at least until you use the product and realise that every word, photo, and drawing on the packaging is totally honest, and it is at least as good as the manufacturer claims, and probably better.

The online video for the Elevator is as far as I can tell not edited and looks very much like what I saw live except it was outdoors and the shadows in that setting provide extra proof, so what you're not seeing is what you're getting. Peter I'm sorry if I've offended you.

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2003, 9:50 am

Mark, Offended? God No! You didn't even say anything that could be taken offensively.

I was just confused about what you saw that was different from the ad and the real life illusion.

I also did not know you had only seen it in only one kind of lighting. But as you know the method and have seen the gimmick, you know that it does not need special lighting, I was merely confused.

But definately not offended. It takes alot more than that to offend me. You could say the product is crap and I still wouldn't be offended, you are entiled to every opinion you have. Im not expecting everyone to like the Elevator, that would be asking for the impossible.

Im sorry if I came off offended, I did not mean to, Im really a very nice guy, and I get along with everyone...lol Now if you stole my car or something or burned down my house, then I think I might be offended...lol

Again thanks for your input and interest. Oh and your honesty.

P.

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » March 9th, 2003, 6:49 pm

Once again - Bozo the Clown showed the children of the nation how to do a levitation 30 years ago on a Saturday morning kids show.

And Mr Loughran, the video was very good - but you killed the sale with your choice of lyrics

I'm just an old fart who's sensibilities were assulted (insulted?)

Good luck with your product

Dave

David Mitchell

Postby David Mitchell » March 10th, 2003, 6:26 am

I'm going to step in with my two cents (see top 10 list of pet peeves in another section), and say a few things.

Magicians like to deconstruct things, it's our nature, we want to know why, how, when, and possibly a few other "w's", including "What the hell". I am sure that for every person who bought this, with the intention of performing with it, another person bought it, just to find out how it works. I was initially in category 2, but am now moving in to 1, because I like this so much.

I didn't find anything deceitful in any of the advertising, so I am wondering as well, what the issue is.

However, you can't please all of the people, all of the time.

Keep it up Peter...

David.
David Mitchell

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2003, 2:30 pm

Would you buy anything, say a car, just from a photo, or would you buy that car after seeng how it runs? Which is what we offer, a true life demonstration of the effect, so who cares about a picture when you can see it in action for yourself.

Would you buy a burger because of what it looked like or how it tastes?

Most restaurants bill you after you have eaten, just incase there are any problems with your food, like a steak, sure it looks cooked well on the outside, but when you cut into it, it could be medium rare.

I guess there is that old saying never judge a book by it's cover.

I could see the point if we didn't offer a demo video but we do!!! The picure is now irrelevant. It's a marketing title page and thats all.

The most interesting thing that I find is that people that have complained about the advertisement haven't bought the product. I think 99% of our elevator customers have been based on the video, so if you like what you see, then great, if not, don't buy it, no one is forcing you to. Im sure current Elevator owners will think the less people that are performing it is probably for the better, less exposure.

Chow for now, sorry no pun intended.

P.

Postby Guest » March 11th, 2003, 12:59 pm

The above post was a reply to a post that is no longer there.
It seems this person has once again deleted his post. Twice now in one thread. Why I don't know. :confused: But why continue to contribute to a thread only to delete the post after I respond to it? Just curious thats all. :)

Anyway, happy floating.

P.

Postby Guest » March 11th, 2003, 5:01 pm

I removed my post after thinking about it.........If you see a worker digging a hole in the ground it really isn't right to take his shovel away.
I have no right to express my opinion about your product without seeing a live demonstration first.The Elevator may be a very nice piece of magic.I therefore removed my post so as not to create any negative impact on your sales. I wish you the best of luck and who knows I may be Elevatoring myself someday. :)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 11th, 2003, 5:02 pm

Well, Peter, the poster could be trying to make you look bad. By posting something that makes you respond, when he removes his original post it looks like you're ranting about nothing. I would suggest that you edit or delete your own posts accordingly.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » March 11th, 2003, 5:09 pm

Au contraire...I removed my post because I believe my judgement was ill founded in regards to Mr. Loughrans new magical piece. Good Luck again Mr. Loughran.

Postby Guest » March 11th, 2003, 5:44 pm

Thanks Richard and Norton,

I appreciate you guys responding.

Thanks Norton for your honesty, and for answering my question.

I am just trying to respond to the comments in this thread as I see it. I hope as Mark said it, Im not stepping into a nest of snakes. That is not my intentions here. Just trying to state my point of views and get along with everyone... :)

Thanks for the good wishes Norton, Im happy to report that the Elevator is doing very well, thank you.

P.

David Mitchell

Postby David Mitchell » March 12th, 2003, 5:56 am

I bought this after about a week of mulling, and do not regret it one bit. I have finally seen the print ad in magic magazine, and seriously people, is this something we are going to waste time complaining about?

Turn to Page 66 of the latest issue of Magic. (sorry Richard, I don't have Genii handy). Look at healed and sealed from Hank Lee. Now I bought mine right from Anders Moden, but the last time I checked, that picture is incredibly misleading. More so then the Elevator.

Magic advertising, in my experience, is flooded with visuals, that are either exagerated, or just plain false. Heck, it's in advertising everywhere we look.

Read the reviews, the opinions, and heck, talk to the originator himself, and form an opinion on the basis of other people's opinions, rather than the print ad, and you can never go wrong.

Also, I performed this for the local magic store owner, and even the much feared Mark Lewis, and they both thought it was a great idea. (just so you know, I am not using Mark's words as an endorsement, so please, do not use them out of context, but just stating that he liked it.)

David.
David Mitchell

Postby Guest » March 14th, 2003, 8:28 pm

Peter,
I've been away for 3 months (vacationing,not in jail), so I have missed all this. Where can I find the Video demo and is physical flexibility really required? I'm way past the 40 year mark.
Marty K

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2003, 8:50 am

Martin

You can see Elevator at Peter's site here:

web page

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 17th, 2003, 9:58 am

I'm fascinated to see this video clip. I've tried to view it about half a dozen times on at least two different sites, but no luck. I tried the link just above, and it would buffer for ten seconds, then play for about a second, then buffer for ten seconds, repeat until I quit. BTW we have a megabit DSL line here.

Is there a file I could download and watch it at my leisure? The streaming solution doesn't seem to be working here.

Doug Brewer

Postby Doug Brewer » March 17th, 2003, 4:17 pm

I had the same problem, Pete.

[However, I was able to watch enough to see the guy flip me off, so I'm not sure what that's all about]

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2003, 4:38 pm

Im sorry guys there is no other videos to view as of yet other than at my site and on HP's site.

As far as the fliping you off, that guy is me, and I don't have a clue of what you are talking about! I don't flip anyone off...lol. Are you being serious? The only thing I can think of that you have mistaken this for is at the begining when I point at the camera and then wave you to follow me. Sorry if that offended you, but I definately did not flip anyone off in the movie.

And to Dave Egleston, Im sorry that you did not like the song in the demo video. But you do realize that you don't have to perform the Elevator to that song right?..lol. It was used simply for marketing purposes and it did quite well for us. Btw if you really hate that song that much then I suggest that you do not go and see the 'Fast and the Furious 2' movie comming out, as the band informed that the movie is also using the same song for the theme song for the movie, and that might just drive you insane, just lookin out for ya... ;)

P. :)

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » March 17th, 2003, 4:59 pm

Pete,

I have Windows Media Player 8.0. I also had trouble viewing the streaming video off the webpage. However, I found that I could

1) Open Windows Media Player,
2) Click on File | Open URL... ,
3) Then where it asks for the URL or path of the file, enter this:

http://www.masterofillusions.ca/media/m ... age_20.asx

The file played just fine.

Cheers,

Lance

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2003, 5:26 pm

Lance, thanks for that great post. This would work for all sorts of movies on the web. Thanks for taking the time to share that with us.

P. :)

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 17th, 2003, 5:42 pm

Thanks for the advice, Lance, but no difference to me. The video stopped every 2-3 seconds to rebuffer. (And we have a fat pipe here at my office.

If someone would just post the file somewhere, I could download it and play it without this problem.

Postby Guest » March 17th, 2003, 6:18 pm

You can try this link, but it is still being streamed so Im not sure if it will be any better. If there is a hic up in the web or the site is busy then you could suffer the same problems.

dazzle clip

P.

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » March 17th, 2003, 8:15 pm

Peter,

Hope you don't mind this question, do you have to bend down or stoop over whenever you do the levitation? I watched the video all the way through but every clip that showed the levitation from start to finish showed you stooping over and doing deep knee bends. I know it might sound picky but that's a real turn off for me. Can you just walk up to someone and, standing erect, levitate for them? Thanks in advance.

Frank Yuen

David Mitchell

Postby David Mitchell » March 18th, 2003, 6:25 am

Frankly.. I think the warming up is a great idea. I just hurt my back last night performing this.

Rotten luck. Now all I need is 52 paper cuts.

David.
David Mitchell

Postby Guest » March 25th, 2003, 6:13 am

Just received last night. Terrific concept!

Thoughts on various comments above: will it take some work to be able to perform -- yup, but nothing that's undoable. Is the adv perhaps a bit misleading - yes, to some degree.

However, I truly like the fact that you end totally clean. Once you're done levitating, folks can examine your shoes, feet, etc. and not find a thing.

I've kept track of many of the one-person levitations that have come out over time, and this is the slickest/most natural one I've seen (i.e., don't need any blankets/jackets covering lower half of your body). Any motions that may be considered "unnatural" are very well covered in the CD explaining how to rationalize them to the audience.

Thanks for a terrific product Peter!

Postby Guest » March 26th, 2003, 4:00 am

Hey Thanks Scott! Im glad you appreciate the cleverness of the illusion. We have a booklet being released to those who have registered the product. The bookletis made up of routines and ideas submitted by magicians all over such as Scott Guinn, Chance Wolf, Steve Brooks, Michael Sibbernsen, Tom Cutts, to name a few.

P.

Postby Guest » March 26th, 2003, 6:39 am

I have it and I think its a very cool concept!
The best street floating device I ever have seen.
I have done it several times and Its so funny when people looks at your feet their faces looks very weird :) I did it impromptu outside my local food store and people was looking very intense. I was standing in a corner so my angles was very protected. A mom and a small kid passed and the kid looked at me and my feet and the kid was almost shocked ... hehe and 2 old men pointed at me and said - "Look he is standing above the street!" When you are finished walk away and try another spot. FUN!
Its a great way to practise Elevator just show it off on the street anywhere. Stand into a corner so your angles is protected. If you find the perfect spot to do it just do it and get a strong reaction.

Postby Guest » April 2nd, 2003, 9:27 pm

Thanks for the nice words,

The Booklet is now available, and it rocks. If you registered you should have recieved the email..

Lates,

p.

Bizzaro

Postby Bizzaro » April 3rd, 2003, 11:19 pm

My only hang up about this is I wanna see it done live and actually see the apparatus. Not because I wanna see how it's done but I stopped trusting magicians years ago. I actually have a great idea for this device, however since I do stage work a lot I know this would not be feasable but I can sure scare some of the club scene people for shure.

I agree with the only floating a tad instead of all the way which is why I developed a presentation that makes perfect sense (At least for me.) It actually takes the heat off the floating idea and puts it right where it should be. On you and the presentation.

I think the only prob I have seen thus far is the rotation option. I do magic for some sharp people and I know I saw the "pivot point" and some of them will too. Prolly a way around that by playing with it. We shall see.. we'll try to get one in the shop soon I am sure. From what I hear the apparatus is rockin' tho'.

We shall see oroku saki...
Bizzaro.
www.smappdooda.com
www.bizzarobydesign.com

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2003, 8:55 pm

I have it...and you know what? I'll never use it. Why? Because it makes my ass look fat!!! I work too hard to stay in shape to have this thing make me look like a lardo.

Any suggestions?

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2003, 12:30 pm

Originally posted by ChrisDavid:
I have it...and you know what? I'll never use it. Why? Because it makes my ass look fat!!! I work too hard to stay in shape to have this thing make me look like a lardo.

Any suggestions?
Wow! It should look even more impressive!

A skinny guy floating - that's magic.

An (apparently) overweight guy floating - that's even more magical. :D

Dave

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 6th, 2003, 8:21 am

I've deleted Bill Mullins' post after Peter Loughran complained to me of exposure.

While I don't agree that it's exposure, I don't think Bill's comments add to the discussion at hand, and his allusion to possible method is potentially damaging to Peter.

As always, I welcome comments (either here or privately at MField2000@aol.com).

Matt Field

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 6th, 2003, 11:18 am

Dear Peter,

I just now found out that you weren't happy with my deleted post. I don't know the method of Elevator, don't own it, and had no idea that the comment was anything close to exposure. The comment was made tongue in cheek.

Please accept my apologies.

Bill Mullins

Postby Guest » April 6th, 2003, 11:52 am

Thanks Bill,

Your post wasn't necessarily exposure, I was more worried about people thinking thats what they got when its not.

No big deal at all.

P.

Postby Guest » April 7th, 2003, 2:57 pm

Hi Peter,

I've received mine and it is very clever. Great work!! The anticipation of 'what could it be' was incredible. When I got mine, I was opening the box like a kid on his birthday!! Outstanding. (smiling ear to ear)

www.JeffEzellMAGIC.com

ps...I was just at Dondrakes Black Art lecture yesterday and you are 100% right! The method is absolutely invisible so that it can be done on a stage as well. Highly Recommended!!

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2003, 1:46 pm

Hi Peter,

I also purchased the Elevator and am very pleased with what I received.

By the way, I registered the product with you by email and have sent you several follow ups, but I have not received a notification regarding the booklet.

Please send me the details for obtaining the booklet at your earliest convenience.

Regards,

Steve Roth

Frank Tougas

Postby Frank Tougas » April 12th, 2003, 1:20 pm

Peter,

I just ordered the Elevator a few days ago from Hocus Pocus. It was strange talking to a voice mail machine, Maybe it's just me but I'm always a bit distrustful of those things. Anyway I'm afraid I called it your levitator instead of thre Elevator. And I had the danged magazine right in front of me. Anyway I anxiously await it. I bought Fearson's Fantastic Flotation a number of years back but never when through the trouble of getting it ready.
Worthiness is measured not by how much you chatter, but by how much you help another.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”