100 Years Ago in The Sphinx

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

100 Years Ago in The Sphinx

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 17th, 2006, 2:53 pm

Dear readers of Genii. As the perpetrator of the new column named in the subject of the post/poll, I would like to garner your thoughtspositive and negativeon my efforts.

The attached poll has several answers from which to choose. While they are like me, longwinded but with a touch of whimsy, I really would like you to put in some serious though and select the one answer that comes closest to how you feel about the column. Of course, you can also leave some comments here as well.

Please, Genii readers only!

(But for you overly curious non-Genii readers, there is a choice at the bottom for you to use; so please use it if you must view the poll! Thanks!)

Thanks for you time!
Dustin

Dustin Stinett

Re: 100 Years Ago in The Sphinx

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 18th, 2006, 1:37 pm

I know that there are more Genii readers out there! So, please, take a few moments and answer my little poll.

Thanks!
Dustin

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 19th, 2006, 3:58 pm

Hi gang. Me again. Just want to keep this here poll available on the "active list" so those who get their September issues have an opportunity to answer.

Thanks again!
Dustin

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 21st, 2006, 12:28 pm

I want to thank the person (other than me) who believes that 100 Years Ago in The Sphinx is, The best use of two pages ever in the history of magic journalism. You are obviously a highly perceptive individual!

Its not too late for your input. Pleasegood or badlet your voice be heard.

Thanks to those who have participated thus far!

Dustin

Postby Guest » August 31st, 2006, 5:38 pm

Dustin -- I love this particular feature. If I had the cash, I'd buy the digital Sphinx -- but I don't, so I appreciate the way you're giving a sense of the issues.

Keep going!

Postby Guest » July 18th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Obviously the current members are too young to even know that there was Sphinx magazine. We cannot fault them for that.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 19th, 2007, 2:10 am

BERMINI wrote: "Obviously the current members are too young to even know that there was Sphinx magazine. We cannot fault them for that."

I hate to be a contrarian (HA!) but I think we can fault them. I was too young to be around for The Jinx, or Phoenix (just), I am not a contemporary of Sachs, Maskelyne and Devant, Robert-Houdin, Hofzinser, Erdnase. I am barely old enough to have shared the Earth with Al Baker and Hugard's Magic Monthly. That would not excuse my lack of knowledge of these people and poblications.

Did magic begin with Ellusionist?

Matt Field

Postby Guest » July 20th, 2007, 8:32 am

I agree whoeheartedly with my pal Matt Field! Even though I must confess to enough years to have been around during some of those that he missed when they came out. I'll admit up-front that I'm a magazine 'nut' and pleasantly surrounded by files of them; however, the point is that newcomers should know of these, and of the great influence they had on magic during their days. Or to paraphrase what that marvelous magical columnist Wlfred Jonson (remember him?) once said (in the Sphinx) to remind them that the art of magic didn't begin when THEY discovered it. Hoorah for the "100 years ago..."

Return to “Light From the Lamp”