Gravel

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Tom Stone

Gravel

Postby Tom Stone » February 1st, 2003, 2:53 pm

I don't know if this is of interest, but I've just released a new PDF manuscript, titled "Gravel".

More info ( Here )

David Mitchell

Re: Gravel

Postby David Mitchell » February 3rd, 2003, 8:48 am

Bought it, read it, printing it now.

(and I even happened to buy another one of your books while I was perusing your site).

Excellent work. Thank you.

I look forward to playing around with almost restored. It looks interesting.

And though it something I wouldn't get the opportunity to use, Chairport is hilarious. Nothing like forcing chairs to get a smile.

Too bad all the others are out of print, I would have liked to have gotten a look at them.

David.
David Mitchell

Steve V

Postby Steve V » February 3rd, 2003, 5:00 pm

Of the Warpsmith series this may be one of the best installments. Gravel consist of a mix of some excellent mentalism, some good ideas on rope magic, and some coin and card stuff to boot. Tom does a nice job putting together the information and he writes very well. Along with the effects or handlings he gives his thoughts about how the idea came along and also gives credits properly. Tom also includes the 'cards' you'll need for the mentalism that can be printed up. This is well worth consideration.
Steve V
Steve V

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » February 4th, 2003, 5:28 am

Superb document. What stuns me most is how well laid out, described and illustrated it is.

What upsets me most is that these documents will eventually appear in a book - which I will inevitably buy - but that book I'll have read before I get it! Hold some stuff back, Tom !

In this 'installment', I really enjoyed 'Synonymax' and 'Negative Spaces'; both extremely clever in their own way.

No criticism for these - just praise! Keep 'em coming, Tom.

Jamie.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » February 4th, 2003, 6:40 am

Originally posted by Jamie Badman:
What upsets me most is that these documents will eventually appear in a book - which I will inevitably buy - but that book I'll have read before I get it! Hold some stuff back, Tom !
There's no need to be upset, Jamie. :)
The material in these PDF-manuscripts will only make up a tiny part of the book. The main part will be stuff that still are unpublished.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » February 4th, 2003, 8:18 am

Tom Stone, "The Warpsmith," is a very clever magician, and "Gravel" is filled with interesting ideas, this time mostly dealing with mentalism and, of all things, rope magic -- two areas Tom has not previously explored to any extent.

As mentoned,"Synonymax" is a very workable routine that would play well for stage or platform work, and the artwork for the trick is included.

Nice job, Tom.

Matt Field

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » February 4th, 2003, 8:34 am

I had the good fortune to spend quality time with Tom at the last FISM. What is most bracing about his work is that he writes, creates, draws, and layouts everything. Tom has never spent much time in ANY "box;" hence, his thinking is "out there" and DEFINITELY "outside of the box."

Don't worry about his ourput drying up.
Methinks he is a force to be reckoned with...

Therefore, don't change that "dial"...
Dive in...

Onward...

David Regal

Postby David Regal » February 5th, 2003, 9:47 am

I've just read "Gravel" and it's terrific. Tom has very solid stuff in this offering. There's a rope sequence that kills me. A rope is cut in two, then a safety pin magically appears between the two pieces, holding them together - the routine goes on from there. There's also a wonderful method for causing two ropes to be "fused" in mid-air. No gaffs!

"Negative Spaces" is a card trick I ran through with the props in hand, and it's very clever while at the same time having a clear effect. In addition, there are nicely crafted mentalism routines, and some necessary "special symbol cards" come included, pre-designed as part of the pdf file so a person can just print them out. This is some of Tom's best work.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 6th, 2003, 5:06 pm

Will check it out...
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 6th, 2003, 5:13 pm

I was confused. I bought Gravel via PayPal and thought it was going to be mailed... however I did download it PDF. Not had a chance to open yet.
Will comment later, thanks... "Love your website"
Stay tooned.

Lance Pierce

Postby Lance Pierce » February 7th, 2003, 5:21 am

I downloaded GRAVEL on day one and have been perusing it since. Like others on this thread, I'm rather impressed with it. As is usual for Mr. Stone, the booklet is well-produced, interesting to look at, and the illustrations are wonderful. The layout and details are first-rate.

And then there's the magic itself. With his previous .pdf releases, Tom revealed himself to be very clever (and perhaps a tad devious and twisted at the same time), and the material in GRAVEL is pretty solid. There are some full routines and some scattered ideas that can be plugged into your work (particularly the rope ideas).

He starts with The Test, a clever mental effect. It's obvious that Tom is a fan of Max Maven (aren't we all?), and this routine clearly shows that. The method is sure to baffle.

There follow ideas with chairs (a pretty good bit, I think), ropes (cut and restored handlings), and cigarettes (a very nice Slydini-like effect where a cigarette is broken in two pieces, and then each piece becomes a full cigarette in itself).

Another mental effect, Synonymax, which is a strong participation effect. Tom goes through the various ins and outs with good detail, and this is one that is sure to play well on stage.

There follow a couple more random ideas with coins and ropes before reaching a routine called Negative Spaces, the one that David mentioned in his post above. It's a very interesting spin from "Real Gone Aces" combined with the "Open Travellers" effect that launches in a direction of its own. Here, three aces are laid on the table while one is placed in the card box. Three indifferent cards are placed with the first tabled ace, and it simply disappears from within, leaving the three cards. Then the same three cards are placed with the second ace and all four are handed to a spectator. She counts them herself and there are only three -- no ace. Finally the same three cards are placed with the last ace, and it disappears as well. All are found in the cardbox. The approach is clever and clean, and I'm sure it will spawn variations galore.

Ever since reading my first Tom Stone booklet, I've been a fan. I'm happy to say that I'm still so, more than ever.

Cheers,

Lance

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » February 7th, 2003, 9:22 am

I just downloaded it this morning.

(Headline: Snow Blankets East Coast; Slothful Schoolteachers Stay Home Unshaven, Practice Magic, Surf Web)

I'm printing it out now.

I have always liked Tom's material, and this is no exception. I was reading through it, finding it interesting, and got to the first rope trick, Almost Restored.

Sometimes when I'm reading a trick description a moment will come when I realize what a piece of genius I'm experiencing. Almost Restored did that for me a few minutes ago.

Just reading the method, without any rope in my hand, I got to the restoration part and said out loud: "Oh...my...goodness!"

This is good stuff. I like the mix of effects, and I like Tom's distribution method. Since the publication of the booklet is limited by time, I know I've got relatively exclusive material here. Which means I'll hold these particular cards very, very close to my vest.

Thanks, Tom!

Postby Guest » March 28th, 2007, 10:54 pm

I just purchased Tom Stones Gravel and all I can say is WOW!!! This is the first download book I have purchased from him and all I can say is that I have purchased printed books that were not half as well written or lavishly illustrated as Gravel. I bought it primarily for the rope routines /sleights taught in: Drop Restoration, Sharp Fingers, Whip Restoration, and Almost Restored. I can hardly wait to get ropes in hand to try these out. The other tricks look great also. Im still shaking my head in amazement at why I havent bought from Tom Stone sooner.

Postby Guest » April 2nd, 2007, 10:36 pm

the link doesn't seem to work anymore.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » April 3rd, 2007, 10:27 am

I tried too, and it "fobids access" so I'm going to try his web-site??

GO

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » April 3rd, 2007, 10:53 am

Sorry, this thread is 4 years old, and the link as well. The new link is here

Return to “Light From the Lamp”