Legendary Repetoire of Mike Skinner Videos

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Tom Dobrowolski

Legendary Repetoire of Mike Skinner Videos

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » November 16th, 2001, 2:25 pm

I saw an add for a new video release "The Legendary Repertoire of Mike Skinner" Vol. 1 & 2 and was wondering if anyone has seen them or knows the story behind them. I have not heard anything about them until I saw the add at "Hocus-Pocus.com". The ads indicate they are each performance only videos about an hour in length. I have become a big Michael Skinner fan and unfortunately never had the opportunity to see him perform live. I have only seen the A-1 tapes, his book and of course the Genii issue. These tapes seem like they may offer a good opportunity to see Mr. Skinner performing in his prime. If anyone can provide any further information on these tapes I would appreciate it.

Re: Legendary Repetoire of Mike Skinner Videos

Postby Guest » November 16th, 2001, 4:06 pm

Hi Tom.

The tapes from Houdini magic is awesome. Finally some tapes that show Mike Skinner at his prime! You should buy vol 1, because it shows Michael perform for a lay audience, and he is outstanding......

Best,
Daniel

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » November 16th, 2001, 5:48 pm

Thanks Daniel. I was hoping they would be good. I will get it. Appreciate the response.

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2001, 7:08 am

I've heard it said before that magic vendors have said that magicians won't buy videos that are performance only. I for one plan on purchasing the Mike Skinner videos because I think that there is something to be learned from watching a master.
To Geno, thanks for putting these videos out. I also have the videos from A-1, and though Mike did very well on them, I don't think that it is a true remembrance of him at his best, and that's ok. I never had the pleasure of meeting Mike, but I feel that through the L&L book and those videos I got to get a glimpse of who he was.
Heck, I've been using the T&R Straw wrapper for about 5 years now.
Rick

JR Russell

Postby JR Russell » December 25th, 2001, 10:30 pm

I have recieved and watched Vol 2. I used to go watch Michael at Lillie's and he performed at my table a month prior to his passing. The video is good. I liked the "performance only" format... I figure that if I like the trick, I can find it in print or try to figure out how it was done and come up with my own version. My only complaint would be that the video is shot and you can only see Mike's hands for 90% of the video but all that aside, I really enjoyed watching one of the greats and now I can go to school to figure out how he did it. :)
JR Russell
"Fly Navy"

Tim Trono

Postby Tim Trono » December 26th, 2001, 8:53 am

I enjoyed these tapes. The only thing to be aware of when purchasing these tapes is that the production/video is reminiscent of the times… you will be watching video shot quite some time ago using only one camera. If you can overlook this and just keep it in mind you will be able to view one of the true Masters of Magic. I understand from Geno that there will be a few more tapes coming out and I'll definitely purchase those as well.

Tim Trono

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 1st, 2002, 6:20 pm

While others may have spent the day watching football, I spent a most enjoyable New Year's Day watching the Mike Skinner videos from Geno. These are quite wonderful, all in color, and they capture Mike's unique skill, delivery, and extensive repertoire. My memories of Mike go back to his Magic Castle days, before his move to Las Vegas, and I'm grateful that this "time machine" helps bring these memories to life. A nice way to start off the new year. Thanks, Geno, for putting this out.

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2002, 11:23 pm

If Steve Bryant says they're good than they're good.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”