Johnny Paul Cups

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.

Johnny Paul Cups

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2007, 11:01 am

I know that this is a previously discussed topic, but I am a newcomer here and was wondering if anyone could help me figure out where to buy a set of Johnny Paul's cups for a sponge ball routine.

Re: Johnny Paul Cups

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2007, 11:58 am

It's been a while since I saw the routine, but if memory serves these were the "standard" conical cups, taller than the Paul Fox design. Most dealers sell them. Johnny was a great entertainer. It's a good routine to learn.

Bill Palmer who posts here would be the best person to ask. His collection is on the Web and he can be contacted here curator@cupsandballsmuseum.com (copy and past into your email) so you can get in and see it. The site is password protected.

You might also look at Jim Riser's site http://www.jamesriser.com/Cups/SelectingCups.html
He has an extensive collection and gives good advice on buying a set of cups. Jim knows his stuff.

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2007, 12:23 pm

Thanks for the excellent info. I have been searching for the Johnny Paul cups. I'm a newby around here and this has really helped me out!

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2007, 12:43 pm

Happy to help. I believe Joe Stevens sells Johhny Paul cups and a video of him doing it. I don't know what he charges, but the DVD is probably relatively inexpensive, but almost any tapering set of cups should work. Some of the European ones are reasonably priced.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 21st, 2007, 1:16 pm

The Horses Mouth here... I am the one that manufactured the authorized Johnny Paul Cups, but they are out of stock. We are contemplating a new run of these later on... no firm date as yet. They were available on an exclusive basis through www.stevensmagic.com (I did sell a few remaining sets earlier this year.)

FYI they are a special design that is made to just fit the sponge balls as in the wonderful routine on the Johnny Paul video. Few of the conical shaped cups have the correct I.D. to "grip" the balls.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2007, 2:19 pm

Jim Ryan performed a GREAT (similar to Johnny Paul's) cup and ball routine and used a set of Ireland Cups from Magic Inc. They're still available here:

http://magicinc.net/index.asp?PageActio ... rodID=1075

I've used a set of these and Jim's routine for years.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 21st, 2007, 3:19 pm

I wonder if they are the same size as the ones Ryan used? As long as they do the gripping that's fine. The price is right! You may need to use LARGER balls.

Bill Palmer made a commemorative Ireland set that to me seems a little better shape.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2007, 4:29 pm

I have a set of cups that were supposed to have belonged to Jim Ryan. They are somewhat smaller than the Ireland cups.

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2007, 4:42 pm

Great man! Thank you guys so much. I'll be on the search for them and if you get a better idea of when you may produce some more Pete, then let me know.
Hey Tom, out of curiosity, where is Palatine, Il? I'm from Alton. It's just across the Mississippi from St. Louis

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2007, 6:10 pm

Not sure Jim Ryan always used Ireland cups but I do have a set of cups Jim Ryan gave me and they are the Ireland cups.They're the set I use for the routine he taught me that is also in his books.

D. Matthew:
Palatine is in the northwest subrbs of Chicago. If you've heard of Woodfield Mall not far from there. If you can make it up to Midwest Magic sometime you should stop in. A GREAT magic shop. www.midwestmagic.net for info.

Postby Guest » June 21st, 2007, 7:04 pm

Check the cups of the greats page in the cups and balls museum.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”