New Master's Deck

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.

New Master's Deck

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2006, 8:05 pm

Hey guys,

As many of you may know, the brand-spanking new edition of premium playing cards has just been released by Ellusionist. The Master's Deck features premium quality on traditional red-backed rider back Bikes.

Check out this review by Dan Buck, one of the leading card magic and flourish experts:

REVIEW FROM DAN BUCK - Card Expert

"Over the years Bicycles Rider Back deck has unfortunately become known for poorly cut edges, off centered printing, variants in color tone, and sand paper type finishes. For this reason I am more likely to purchase a set of sponge balls than a pack of Riders.

After handling the MastersIts night and day.
They unquestionably last longer than your normal Rider Back (I have honestly been using them, and using them, and...).
They exit the box ready for show. No need for breaking-in (the edges are smooth like TH9's).

Tricks with the aces have become habit just for the pleasure of seeing the spade go by.
I just can't believe that you're selling a deck that lasts four times as long as a normal for almost the same price as that normal. Wait, that's a good thing, nevermind that."

Dan Buck
Creator of The System

For more info and detailed pictures on the amazing look, as well as the newly designed Ace of Spades that just screams unique, check it out here: http://www.ellusionist.com/order/Bicycl ... -Cards.php

||Tempest ||
||Team Ellusionist//

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: New Master's Deck

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 16th, 2006, 8:35 pm

I had a chance to handle one of these decks in the dealer's room at FISM.
Very nice.
They're a bit thicker than normal cards, and so the deck is "bigger," but that's something you would quickly get used to.
More importantly, they feel good and handle well.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » August 16th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Richard,
Your endorsement (on top of the already great buzz)pretty much capped it for me. I just ordered the 12-pack deal and was able to take advantage of a special add-on 3-pack promo deal for the Black Tiger, Tally-Ho Viper Circle Back, and Bicycle Ghost Deck, as well. I'm really looking forward to this!

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2006, 11:53 pm

I would have love to seen the approach at US Playing Card....

"Hey, your quality sucks, we want a run of cards that are made right....can you do it?"

Steve V

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 2:10 am

I'm sure they're very nice cards, but the overdone AS doesn't do it for me.

Why go to the effort to make them look like normal bikes and then stick that monstrosity in there?

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 3:08 am

Originally posted by Chris Aguilar:
I'm sure they're very nice cards, but the overdone AS doesn't do it for me.
That was my first impression, too. I thought about ordering a pack or two, saw the ace of spades and backed off... :)

On the other hand I do like the ace of spades that comes with the Bicycle Vintage series, see HERE .

Denis

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2006, 3:20 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:

They're a bit thicker than normal cards, and so the deck is "bigger," but that's something you would quickly get used to.
I guess this will not fit in a Porper card clip?

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Originally posted by pierredan:
[b]
I guess this will not fit in a Porper card clip? [/b]
Most likely not, so they will make another, that is bigger and will cost you another $45.

I like bikes and if I want better, I have a stash of tally-ho's. Heck, I usually destroy a deck in one use giving away signed cards and all. So, I don't care how long they last, why give away thicker more expensive cards. I also agree with Chris, the AS is toooo much, but all the new decks are like that.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 18th, 2006, 4:37 pm

I don't think the baroque design on the Ace of Spades will destroy your card magic.

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2006, 6:33 pm

I don't think the baroque design on the Ace of Spades will destroy your card magic.
I don't recall anyone ever claiming that it would.

I (and at least few other folks) just noted that we find the AS ugly/distracting. Hence we likely won't be purchasing the cards.

As far as being longer lasting, these master cards come in at about $3.99/pack. I can buy (very nearly) 4 packs of normal bikes for that same amount and I very much doubt that a single "Master deck" (with the ugly AS) is going to outlast 4 normal decks.

I'm sure they're nice, just likely not my personal cup of tea.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 18th, 2006, 7:29 pm

They seem to handle far better than a normal Bicycle deck--I think that's the point. Not that they last longer.

Doing difficult sleight of hand with cards in a way that appears effortless is vitally linked to using good quality cards. Ballet dancers don't do good work wearing [censored] shoes.

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2006, 7:41 pm

They seem to handle far better than a normal Bicycle deck--I think that's the point. Not that they last longer.
The durability of these cards is something they tout heavily on their site and video, so I think it's a fair point to bring up.

Even so, the hideously overdone AS design (which also makes an unwelcome appearance in their poorly done redesign of the card case) would be enough to put me off.

As far as better handling, one can get that from tally ho's (with their better quality control over rider back decks) at just $2.50/deck when purchasing a dozen. ( A cool $10 savings compared to a dozen of the "master decks").

Doing difficult sleight of hand with cards in a way that appears effortless is vitally linked to using good quality cards. Ballet dancers don't do good work wearing [censored] shoes.
I'd say that a good card worker should be able to accomplish what they wish with just about any deck in good condition. I'd actually prefer not to develop a dependence on certain pricey decks in order to accomplish sleight that I should be able to use with just about any deck.

I have no doubt these are nice cards.

However, I don't think they're for everyone, but I can see flourishers and collectors especially prizing them.

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2006, 8:35 pm

I like that the SKU under the barcode at the end reads:

2 of Spades.

Or nearly so.

ajp

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2006, 8:35 pm

You guys are pretty funny.

There are times when my magic is stronger using a borrowed deck of dirty, greasy, less than bridge sized paper chinese cards that can be bought for twenty five cents.

There are other times, when pulling tally ho's out of a leather card case with great reverence is the way to go, and many times I end up some where in the middle, with my own bikes in fine condition.

For the record, however, I thought I understood that the pleasure I feel in a deck of Tally Ho's is purely placebo based? I thought U.S. playing card company claims they are the same quality?

If this is indeed the case, I can see a niche for these 'Master's' cards.

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2006, 1:12 am

Well, first of all it is a matter of taste. If I do not like the design of a deck you won't see me using it, no matter what their quality might be.

On the other hand I think an ace of spades should absolutely use no other colour than black. A multi-coloured ace of spades makes all four ace routines look rather strange in my opinion.
Talk about red and black aces... I mean red aces, the black ace, and the red-black ace...

Denis

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2006, 1:14 am

Thanks for the comments Richard. Glad you liked them.

Yes, Bikes and Tally Ho are identical in finish... Linoid and "Air Cushion" basically mean nothing. Strangely, the two brandds use identical stock also. Knowing the truth doesn't stop them from feeling somewhat different in my hands though.

Brad C.

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2006, 1:28 am

Originally posted by Denis Behr:
On the other hand I think an ace of spades should absolutely use no other colour than black. A multi-coloured ace of spades makes all four ace routines look rather strange in my opinion.
Talk about red and black aces... I mean red aces, the black ace, and the red-black ace...
I absolutely agree. The Tally-Ho's also have an ornate AS design, but the fact that it\'s all black keeps it looking nice. If the Ellusionist cards followed that example, perhaps they wouldn't look so distractingly garish.

Postby Guest » August 19th, 2006, 3:37 pm

I just bought a dozen. I'm really excited to give them a spin around the block.

Postby Guest » August 22nd, 2006, 1:36 pm

If you want to see cards that are designed by someone who really doesn't understand, check out the new yellow bikes. These are on the thicker paper. These are the ugliest cards to have ever come from USPCCo.

They look like they were stored in a used diaper.

For a preview, go to http://www.magicmakersinc.com/YellowDec ... wDeck.html

Postby Guest » August 22nd, 2006, 8:30 pm

All this palaver about the ace of spades becomes irrelevant when you recall that the dude (for surely he must be a dude to be in such a video) notes the cards are so thick they could "cut cheese". I think this extra utility should be played up in the print advertising, too. Perhaps there are other culinary advantages to these cards? The possibilities might be endless - I think they could be used as very absorbent beer coasters. Any other ideas?

Postby Guest » August 23rd, 2006, 5:27 am

Bicycle Brand...the Fox Lake for the 21st Century.

Of all the recent Bicycle versions, I think the pastels were the worst!

Just an opinion...

Adrian

Postby Guest » August 27th, 2006, 11:22 am

Originally posted by Adrian Kuiper:
Of all the recent Bicycle versions, I think the pastels were the worst!

I think the public agrees with you. A couple weeks ago a local drug store was closing out a pile of them at a buck each.

Postby Guest » August 31st, 2006, 3:16 pm

The Magic Apple JUST received the Masters Edition Playing Cards! Nice looking cards with a cool box! I have yet to break 'em inm but they seem pretty good! $4.95 per deck

We are the ONLY magic shop in Southern California that does (and will ever) sell these decks!

(plus we got in the Gaff Deck, the Glass DVD and more!!)

Postby Guest » September 1st, 2006, 2:48 pm

Originally posted by TheMagicApple:
The Magic Apple JUST received the Masters Edition Playing Cards! Nice looking cards with a cool box! I have yet to break 'em inm but they seem pretty good! $4.95 per deck

We are the ONLY magic shop in Southern California that does (and will ever) sell these decks!

(plus we got in the Gaff Deck, the Glass DVD and more!!)
Glad you like them Magic Apple, gotten any comments from any customers yet?

|| Sean Beard ||
//Team E

Postby Guest » September 4th, 2006, 10:15 am

still a bit new to get comments, but they are selling pretty quickly!

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2006, 2:34 pm

Originally posted by Scott Fridinger:
Originally posted by pierredan:
[b]
[b]
I guess this will not fit in a Porper card clip? [/b]
Most likely not, so they will make another, that is bigger and will cost you another $45. [/b]
The porper clips listed on there site...have 2 sizes. One for regular decks and one for these.

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2006, 7:43 am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it but the Master's deck faros beautifully and easily without any breaking in. I do unshuffled at tradeshows so I am constantly making up decks for new clients and the traditional Bikes are hit or miss. Some are fine, some are awful, but none are like a Master's deck.

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2006, 8:24 am

These cards sound like truly a delight to work with. I cannot wait till they are available at the local Walgreens. Till then, I have no intention of buying them. Standard Bikes (unless they go to the dogs again) are quite good enough till then, as their quality has clearly improved in the last year and a half over what they had been putting on the shelf recently.

(edited for clarity)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 22nd, 2006, 8:28 am

Master Deck's won't be for sale to the public. They're a special run that ellusionist has paid for. Interestingly, the deck is about the same thickness as an original DeLand Dollar Deck from 1914!

Postby Guest » November 22nd, 2006, 5:44 pm

It seems to me that the real advantage of these cards is the fact that they look just like Bicycle Riders, but handle like Tally Ho's. For those of us who prefer the feel of Tally Ho's, this is a wonderful thing.

Also, the Master's decks that I've opened have been perfectly flat, which is another plus.

I don't like the Ace of Spades either. It looks like a Harley Davidson emblem to me. If you like Harleys and Hummers, then you'll love the new Ace of Spades. I wish they had left it alone. Despite this, I think "E" should be commended for putting out this deck.

Robert

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2006, 7:49 am

Hmmm... Harleys and Hummers...Bikes and holding your Decks...there is something rather suggestive about these images...and I don't think that is accidental. Certain schools of card magic have always been rather self indulgent.Interesting comment made about quality of "tools"...my word not the posters... but you get my point.

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2006, 8:07 am

Actually these fan really well, which is a boon when one needs to "cut the cheese".

Postby Guest » December 4th, 2006, 12:55 pm

Thanks for your information . I will look around and check again later.

Robert McDaniel

Postby Robert McDaniel » December 8th, 2006, 12:59 pm

Yes, Bikes and Tally Ho are identical in finish... Linoid and "Air Cushion" basically mean nothing. Strangely, the two brandds use identical stock also. Knowing the truth doesn't stop them from feeling somewhat different in my hands though.

Brad C.

For what it's worth, I compared the three decks: Tally Circle, Bicycle Rider, and Bicycle Masters Edition. Sure enough, the Rider and Tally Ho decks appear to be the same thickness, while the Masters deck is approx. two cards thicker. Still, the Tally Hos seem to handle differently than the Riders. Maybe it's my imagination. :-)

Robert

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2007, 9:04 pm

im wondering if holding or placing extra thick cards on the table as a double looks more suspect. i have a masters deck and cant tell any quality differences myself.i do think the review is funny when he says he does tricks with the aces just for the pleasure of seeing the ace of spades go by.haha.i thinking hes pushing the limits of hype a bit on that one!

Postby Guest » January 28th, 2007, 3:01 am

If you want a real treat, get a deck of Richard Turner's "gambler's" cards. They are on the thicker stock, use the Bee designs for the faces of the cards, and are punched out of the sheet from the correct side of the paper. It makes the deck feel completely different.

Postby Guest » January 30th, 2007, 4:04 am

Check these cards out, VINTAGE SERIES 1800, ancient and worn.

http://www.my-magicshop.com/accessories ... 19e02.html

Postby Guest » January 30th, 2007, 10:05 am

Originally posted by Kjellstrom:
Check these cards out, VINTAGE SERIES 1800, ancient and worn.

Neither ancient, not worn. But brand new, shiny, smooth and unbuckled cards printed to LOOK like they are old. But they aren't.

Please tell me the point is something other than 'My grandfather taught me a trick and these were his cards. He gave them to me so I could show others the trick. Please pay no attention to the fact I can do perfect faros with them. Or they fan really well.'

Whatever will they think of next to sell 14 year old XCM wankstains?

Postby Guest » January 30th, 2007, 12:55 pm

Originally posted by mrgoat:
[b] Check these cards out, VINTAGE SERIES 1800, ancient and worn.

Neither ancient, not worn. But brand new, shiny, smooth and unbuckled cards printed to LOOK like they are old. But they aren't.

Please tell me the point is something other than 'My grandfather taught me a trick and these were his cards. He gave them to me so I could show others the trick. Please pay no attention to the fact I can do perfect faros with them. Or they fan really well.'

Whatever will they think of next to sell 14 year old XCM wankstains? [/b]
I can see lot of useful and fun applications i can do with these special cards.

When you entertain people the presentation is everything and the prop is just a part of the whole picture of the effect design.

People with no hardcore card magic experience and knowledge will never think like you Mr Goat, thats my experience when I perform in the real world and not just for my mom or a mirror as it sounds like Mr Goat does...

Postby Guest » January 30th, 2007, 1:04 pm

People with no hardcore card magic experience and knowledge will never think like you Mr Goat, thats my experience when I perform in the real world and not just for my mom or a mirror as it sounds like Mr Goat does... [/QB]
Sorry, not really sure how to react to such a very rude and uncalled for, inaccurate attempt at a flame.

But I could never find myself in an argument with a man who wears jackets like yours.

http://www.kjellstrom.info/media/mats_k ... m_2006.jpg

Return to “Light From the Lamp”