Rubinstein's Coin videos?

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Jim Maloney_dup1

Rubinstein's Coin videos?

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 24th, 2002, 8:15 am

Hey all,
I've been thinking about picking up Michael Rubinstein's coin videos, but I'd like to hear some more about them first. First off, there's the Knockout Coin Magic videos and the Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights videos -- is one set better than the other? Seems "Knockout..." is more routines & performance material and "Encyclopedia..." is simply sleights being explained. I'd also like to know what his style is like...flashy? slow & purposeful?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

-Jim

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Rubinstein's Coin videos?

Postby Matthew Field » July 24th, 2002, 11:01 am

I reviewed the "Knockout Coin Magic" video in my May 2002 Genii column, and I said it was, " Very impressive material, some really excellent sleights well described, altogether a nice package."

I'd say Michael is slow and deliberate in his handlings.

I believe Genii's other video reviewer, Joe M. Turner will be reviewing the "Encyclopedia" in an upcoming issue.

Matthew Field

Sean Piper

Postby Sean Piper » July 26th, 2002, 7:49 pm

Hi Jim,

I picked up Volume 2 of the Encyclopedia a few weeks ago and have been thrilled with it ever since.

I had a rather limited knowledge of coin stuff before buying, and this really helped to broaden my horizons.

I opted for Volume 2 for the simple reason that I have a fascination with Spellbound moves, and this DVD contains a sections devoted to them.

As far as Michael's performing persona, it's hard to say going on the DVD alone. There's no 'effects' as such, but he goes into great detail of every move. Sometimes you get the feeling he may be over-explaing a few things, but in the long run I don't see that as such a bad thing.

Hope this helps!

Sean.

Mike Rubinstein

Postby Mike Rubinstein » July 26th, 2002, 10:06 pm

Hi, and thanks for your interest in my tapes/DVD's. I'll leave it to the magicians out there to discuss the merits (or lack therof) of the two series. The Knockout Coin magic series consists of original routines, mostly unpublished, that showcase my retention, fingertip, and matting techniques. There are both standup and sitdown coin routines on the series. This series was filmed in Canada in 1986, but the material has remained mostly underground until L&L remastered the originals. The Encyclopedia series was originally filmed in West Germany in 1985. These were again remastered by L&L, with the introduction of digital effects, new titles, classical music, and crisper editing over the original release. There are only moves on this series, both basic and advanced, many of which are original and unpublished. Other moves are standard, or show my own handlings of moves of other performers (for example, my handling of the Krenzel retention pass is a bit different than the way Ken does it, but fits my style and hand size. The move, though, is still Ken's, and I claim no credit). There is obviously some overlap between the series as I utilize my own techniques in my effects, but each contains material exclusive to each series. The purpose of the Encyclopedia series was to present options for the magician so that one can choose the right move for the particular hand/coin position. Do you need several shuttle passes? Maybe not. But, if you have to do three shuttle passes in a routine, maybe it would look better to do it two different ways, so as to avoid repetition. Do you want to learn a retention pass? Look over the menu and decide which one (there are many)fits you best. Is your click pass a clunker? Look for one that is more magical. I think you get the idea. There should be something for everyone here, whether you're a beginner or an advanced coin worker (I still teach the ROPS move to the working pros out there!). Hope that helps to answer some of your questions. Remember, a move is not a move when it looks like magic! Enjoy, Mike

reed mcclintock

Postby reed mcclintock » July 26th, 2002, 11:23 pm

If I may throw in my half dollar I would say get them, I started on my road to coin magic with them, on the old videonics videos. I never told anyone about them then L&L ruined it for me and released them to the magic communitee agian. Bummer there is so much gold on those dvds it is frustrating I can only hope to be as good as DR. Michael Rubinstein. I do not think you will be disappointed.
:)

Mike Rubinstein

Postby Mike Rubinstein » July 27th, 2002, 11:43 am

Hey Reed, thanks again for your favorable opinions posted on this and other forums. I look foward to meeting you soon, perhaps at Marc's! And Matt, thank you for the nice review. Sorry I missed you at SAM - I'm sure we'll catch up soon.

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2002, 6:03 pm

I have all of Dr. Rubinstein's DVDs and they are, in my opinion, excellent.

The sleights are explained so you can really get a grasp on them, and how to practice them.

I have found many sleights on the encyclopedia series that I had overlooked or forgot about... now comes the fun part using the sleights to develop original routines!

If you like coin magic, get Dr.Rubinstein's coin videos, you can't go wrong.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 27th, 2002, 8:28 pm

I just picked up Vol. 1 of "Knockout Coin Magic" today. There's some very good magic on there. The production of the last two coins in Bologna Debut completely fooled me, even though I'm fully aware of the techniques involved. That's the thing about properly applied misdirection...it'll get ya everytime. I also picked up an Okito Box simply because the description for Okito Clinker really intrigued me, and I knew I'd get some use out of the ideas in it. My only problem with that routine is that you must be sitting -- but, I've already got a few ideas that will allow it to be done standing, away from a table. :)

Anyhoo...I'll write more when I've explored the video a bit more. Thanks Michael!

-Jim

Mike Rubinstein

Postby Mike Rubinstein » July 27th, 2002, 8:32 pm

Hey Jim,
Glad you're enjoying it.

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2002, 2:54 pm

I have both complete sets and cannot recomend them too much!! His style is deliberate and to the point. Not at all flashy or distracting. The quality of the material is unsurpassed. I also have found many new moves as well as old ones that were forgotten. For both the novice and the veteran there is something for everyone on each set. Great materal from a very knowledgeable coin man and skilled performer.

Regards,

Mark

Return to “Light From the Lamp”