Reference Help!

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Paul Cummins

Reference Help!

Postby Paul Cummins » April 14th, 2002, 11:12 pm

In a stressfully frantic attempt to complete the FASDIU II lecture notes in time for FFFF, I am writing, photographing,laying out, and so forth like a madman between infrequent meals and quick naps!

I do need some help with some references that have eluded me. I'll also be posting this message on the TSD board, so please accept my apologies for the double-posting... I am eternally grateful to any help anyone may be able to provide!

1. For thirty years Ive attributed the following mini-effect to Paul Rosini. Now, scouring my library (and especially the Tarbell Course, where I thought Id originally found it) I cannot locate a reference. Control a selection to the top and double lift exposing an indifferent card. Turn the double down and hand the top card to a spectator. Have them stab the card into the deck in an attempt to locate their own card. Show them that the card they stabbed is now their actual selection.

2. Where is Carmen DAmicos DAmico Change in print? Kaballa?

3. Where is Lin Searles great little finesse published wherein one applies pressure with the left thumb to the outer left corner of a group of reversed cards on top of the deck so that, by virtue of their natural curvature, the inner left corner of the face up group pops up from the deck allowing a pinky break to be established?

4. Who first published the card-under-glass load? Is it a derivative of Vernons coin load from Free and Unlimited Coinage of Silver from the Dai Vernon Book of Magic?

5. Heba Heba Al, Bob Sheets, Doc Eason, and J. C. Wagner are all known to have featured the card-under-glass effect. Mr. Wagners is on his video which video is it? Are any of the routines in print? The only actual description of card-under-glass that Ive been able to find is in The Complete Works of Derek Dingle by Kaufman. Others?

6. I am aware of card under/in box routines by Guy Hollingworth and Chris Powers. Any others? Not looking for card into box routines only card under and into

7. Unbelievably, I cannot locate my copy of The Card Magic of Paul LePaul. Need a title and page number for a snap-over double lift he describes, the publishers name, and the copyright date.

8. A two-as-three count holding the cards in full Elmsley Count grip. Is this Paul Harris? Is this the EYE count (Victor)?

9. Marlos Book Break move wherein a break is maintained while the deck is flipped over in the hands published where?

10. In which issue of Genii was the Gary Oullet Ruminations column that described Homer Liwags false faro shuffle?

11. Theres a great add-on wherein the performer runs through a deck upjogging, say, the aces. Meanwhile, he culls any number of cards he wants to switch in. When the bottom of the deck is reached, the last 8 or 10 cards are left spread out. The aces are stripped with the left hand and slid under the leftmost or bottom card. Of course, the aces are also slipped above the culled cards and the deck is closed and turned face down. I believe this to be a Marlo technique and although the article in M.I.N.T. Volume 1 (page 242, Combination Cull and Exchange) was pointed out to me, it doesnt exactly match what I have described above. Where is the above set of moves in print?

Thanks again for any help,

Paul Cummins

John Pezzullo

Re: Reference Help!

Postby John Pezzullo » April 15th, 2002, 3:46 am

Paul,

Greetings from sunny Sydney.

Homer Liwag's false faro shuffle was published in the October 1993 issue of "Genii" (Fulminations #24).

J.C. Wagner's version of the 'card under glass' was included on his first video, "Commercial Magic: The J.C. Wagner Video" (19??).

I've seen a video tape of Steve Bedwell performing a multi-phase card-under-case effect. I understand that this effect was taught on his video "Steve Bedwell...Taped!" (1995). From H & R Magic Books List #13:

'Parked Card!' is a beautifully routined card-under-glass type effect (under card case in this instance). The thinking and psychology are fully explained.
Best wishes,

John

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » April 15th, 2002, 6:07 am

Outstanding. Thanks John!

Paul

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 15th, 2002, 7:14 am

Originally posted by Paul Cummins:
1. For thirty years Ive attributed the following mini-effect to Paul Rosini. Now, scouring my library (and especially the Tarbell Course, where I thought Id originally found it) I cannot locate a reference. Control a selection to the top and double lift exposing an indifferent card. Turn the double down and hand the top card to a spectator. Have them stab the card into the deck in an attempt to locate their own card. Show them that the card they stabbed is now their actual selection.
That sounds incredibly familiar, but I can't place it right now - I'll check my books when I get home from work.

3. Where is Lin Searles great little finesse published wherein one applies pressure with the left thumb to the outer left corner of a group of reversed cards on top of the deck so that, by virtue of their natural curvature, the inner left corner of the face up group pops up from the deck allowing a pinky break to be established?
Don't know, but I've noticed how easily you're able to get a break by doing this - guess I wasn't the first. ;)

5. Heba Heba Al, Bob Sheets, Doc Eason, and J. C. Wagner are all known to have featured the card-under-glass effect. Mr. Wagners is on his video which video is it? Are any of the routines in print? The only actual description of card-under-glass that Ive been able to find is in The Complete Works of Derek Dingle by Kaufman. Others?
Jerry MacGregor has a card under glass routine in Real World Magic.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 15th, 2002, 7:15 am

The Liwag false faro shuffle is referenced, but not explained, in Close's Workers #5. During his "farewell" lecture tour 3 or so years ago, he explained it when asked, but did not include it in the notes for that lecture.

Bill Mullins

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2002, 7:16 am

Arthur Buckley published a number of d'Amico sleights in Card Control; not sure if the change you're referring to is one of them.

--Ralph

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » April 15th, 2002, 9:58 am

Paul,

looks to me as you are in desperate need of some searchable ebooks to find your references. ;)

Chris.... Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » April 15th, 2002, 10:02 am

Thank you one and all! Can't tell you how much I appreciate the help. Keep 'em coming...

Paul

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » April 15th, 2002, 11:58 am

Mr Cummins,
1.The trick you are refering is explained in The Magic Book but I also think it is Rosini's.
2. No idea
3. In Jennings'67 P.23, Kaufman explains Lin Searles'Autobreak technique.
4.On page 101 of The Commercial Magic of J.C. Wagner you can find the description of the card under the drink. Mr Wagner also explains that Heba Haba Al should have credit for the trick.
5. John Bannon also has his version described in Smoke & Mirrors.
6.No idea
7.Snap-Over Double-Lift, P.73.
The Card Magic of Le Paul, Copyright 1959 by D. Robbins & Co, Inc

Philippe Nol

George Olson

Postby George Olson » April 15th, 2002, 11:59 am

Paul
#5 Card Ubder Glass...Check out the Grandaddy of them all: The Magic of Matt Schulien, Phil Willmarth, pp 134, "The Card Under the Table Cloth."

#7 "The Snap-Over Double-Lift," pp73 The Interstate Printers and Publishers, Danville, Illinois, Copyright Paul LePaul & Jerry McDermott, 1949

Best I could do for the momment!

Good luck,

George

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » April 15th, 2002, 12:54 pm

Mr Cummings,
The effect you are refering is finally by Thodore Annemann, The Jinx, N80,February 1940.
See also "A card in hand" P.133 of Card College Vol. 1.

Philippe Nol

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 15th, 2002, 1:01 pm

Originally posted by Philippe Nol:
Mr Cummings,
The effect you are refering is finally by Thodore Annemann, The Jinx, N80,February 1940.
See also "A card in hand" P.133 of Card College Vol. 1.

Philippe Nol
That's right! That's where I remember it from - Card College.

-Jim

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » April 15th, 2002, 1:57 pm

One at the moment:

2. Where is Carmen D'Amico's "D'Amico Change" in print? Kaballa?

Alton Sharpe: Expert Card Conjuring, 1968, pp. 44-45

Reinhard

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » April 15th, 2002, 3:16 pm

Paul,

1. I thought sure this was in The Living End, but a quick check turns up only the following, similar but not exactly the same:

"Pulling a Fast One" by R.M. Jamison.

Chosen card on top, double lift, show indifferent, insert into deck (secretly pushing lower, indifferent card flush). Tell spectator that when they pull out the indifferent card their selection will be stuck to it.

They pull but nothing sticks. Then wait for them to discover they are holding the selection.

Isn't it remarkable how similar this is without being exactly the same?

5. Chad Long has a two-cards under glass routine in The Lost Cheesy Notebooks, Volume 1.

Earle Oakes

Postby Earle Oakes » April 15th, 2002, 4:06 pm

Paul,
The Snap-Over Double-Lift is the title it is on page 73 of The Card Magic Of LePaul. The Interstate, Printers & Publishers of Danville,Illinois are the publishers. Copyright 1949 by
Paul LePaul and Jerry McDermott.
P.S.Information from my signed First Edition copy #500 of an editionlimited to 500 copies.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » April 15th, 2002, 6:28 pm

Paul: You are quite right that Rosini performed the first item about which you asked. His version was called "A Change in Hand" and can be found in Paul Rosini's Magical Gems by W.F. Rufus Steele (edited by Robert Parrish and published by W.F. (Rufus) Steele, Wacker Hotel, Chicago, 1950.

Michael Edwards

Postby Guest » April 16th, 2002, 1:33 am

In relation with your questions:

1/ According to Daley notebooks the original idea comes from Al Baker. But Aneman also liked it. In fact he published in Jinx his version, which was very original in the techniques used to control and to change the card. Very interesting article for understanding the way Aneman thinked.
4/ I believe the ancestor of the trick of the card under glass was Rossini effect where he after left hand palming a card, under cover of strong misdirection left it in the center of the table face up. This is in Andrew Galloway book " Diverting Card magic". A book very peculiar and interesting for reading, but not very known.
I think the idea of putting the card under a glass its a tipical bartender idea where drinks are nearby.
8/ The three card grip and EYE count is Edward Victor according to Ken Brooke writing of this trick.

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » April 16th, 2002, 7:34 am

Paul,
The forerunner of Card Under Glass, Paul Rosini's "The Card Under The Hand", the unexpected appearance of a card in the middle of the table top, which was mentioned by MCuesta, you will also find in W.F.(Rufus) Steele/Parish, ed.: Paul Rosini's Magical Gems, A Memorial"(1950), p.16. On the following page 17 there is "Change in Hand" (question 1), see above, Michael Edwards post of April 15, 2002 06:28 PM.

Reinhard

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » April 16th, 2002, 7:41 am

Thanks again to everyone, you guys are terrific!

Paul

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » April 16th, 2002, 3:24 pm

If, as has been suggested, the ancestor of Card under glass is Rossini's Card under the Hand, then maybe it's also worth acknowledging Don Alan's "Card in the Egg"?

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 16th, 2002, 3:52 pm

Though I'm not familiar with the Rosini effect, I fail to see how Don Alan's "Card in the Egg" (Close up Time with Don Alan) is related. Perhaps Tommy Wonder's version, where the egg appears on the table, away from the magician (Books of Wonder, Vol. 1), but not Don Alan's original version. In the case of Tommy Wonder's handling, it'd be the appearance of the egg (which is seems to be Tommy's only contribution to the effect) that is related, not the revelation of the card.

-Jim

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » April 16th, 2002, 4:31 pm

Tom Mullica's handling for Card Under Glass can be found in "Showtime at the Tom Foolery".

Frank Yuen

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 17th, 2002, 12:08 pm

OK, you've done the crediting, you're all packed for Fechters.

NOW -- when is FASDIU TWO going to be available to the rest of us poor slobs who can't get to FFFF (or weren't invited)? How much do we send you. Take our money, Paul, please!

Matt Field

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » April 17th, 2002, 12:54 pm

Matt,

a good question, of which I already thought!

Reinhard

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » April 21st, 2002, 1:42 am

Hi,

I just wanted to post a blanket "thank you" to all of you who generously jumped in to help me out with the references that I sought. I really, really appreciate your efforts.

Thanks,

Paul Cummins

Return to “Light From the Lamp”