Why I hate David Regal

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Pete McCabe

Why I hate David Regal

Postby Pete McCabe » July 22nd, 2002, 12:47 am

There are a lot of people who are better at performing magic than I am. But I don't hate these people; instead, I just tell myself that I'm better at creating magic than they are. If they're better than me at creating, I just say I'm better at performing.

Now there are a pretty good number of people who are better at performing and creating magic than I am, but I don't hate them either, as long as I can say I'm a better writer than they are.

If all else fails, I can just fall back on thinking that I'm a nicer person than they are.

But what am I to do with David Regal? I've seen him at the Castle and he kills people. I don't perform at the castle.

And his new book(s) Constant Fooling 1 and 2 are filled with the best kind of magic; tricks that are interesting and clever with practical, powerful methods and every damned one of them has a point -- a hook, if you will -- that makes them both memorable and entertaining. I haven't written a magic book.

As if to rub salt in my wounds, David is much more successful as a TV writer than I am.

And finally, he's really a very nice guy. The bastard! I hate him.

If anybody knows anything really bad about David, please email me immediately.

Other that hating him I have to give his new books my highest recommendation. Great original (and some classic) tricks, with great methods, using the best moves and variations from his encyclopedic head, and great presentations.

On top of which he has tipped his handling of the cups and balls, which is the best cups and balls routine I've ever seen. It's so good, it's almost worth the price of the book just to see David perform this routine, so you can see just how good a magic routine can be.

Disclaimer: Although I hate David, we are good friends so this review may be biased.

Jamie Badman

Re: Why I hate David Regal

Postby Jamie Badman » July 22nd, 2002, 4:42 am

Hey, cheer up Pete; with all that talent, it's almost certain he has a really small willy !

Jamie.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 22nd, 2002, 8:01 am

And a wanker to boot.... :cool:
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 22nd, 2002, 8:05 am

I've always thought he was a rotten little piglet as well. I can't imagine how he wrangled his way onto the Genii staff.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » July 22nd, 2002, 8:28 am

Probably slept his way to the top ;)

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » July 23rd, 2002, 3:16 am

I can't imagine how he wrangled his way onto the Genii staff.
The same goes for Jon Racherbaumer. The guy can barely put a sentence together...!?!

:D

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » July 23rd, 2002, 9:08 am

...not in the space of a single page, anyway ;-)

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » July 23rd, 2002, 3:08 pm

This bears repeating:

Originally posted by Pete McCabe:
On top of which he has tipped his handling of the cups and balls, which is the best cups and balls routine I've ever seen. It's so good, it's almost worth the price of the book just to see David perform this routine, so you can see just how good a magic routine can be.
I'm a huge fan of all of David's work but his cups and balls routine, WOW! What posesses these guys to keep tipping material of this caliber?! Sheesh... The routine is brilliantly constructed, it engages the audience emotionally (without being corny), is entertaining throughout, and climaxes with a powerful final phase that MAKES SENSE!

I was interning in DC for most of the summer (just got back home this weekend) and was in Al's shop virtually every day after this was first advertising asking if it had arrived yet...of course, it hadn't -- until the day after I get back to Florida! Now I'm camped out at the mailbox... Part of me can't wait to see the new books, the other part is overwhelmed because I'm still digesting "Close-Up and Personal" and the L and L tapes...oh well, such is life...

regards,
nate.

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » July 23rd, 2002, 3:59 pm

Besides being a cross-dresser, it's a well known fact that David went down to the cross roads and made a deal with the devil. Nobody could be born with the talent that he possesses.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 23rd, 2002, 4:49 pm

Wait a sec, let me get this straight: David Regal's talent can be attributed to the fact that he is a cross-dresser who slept his way to the top after making a deal with the devil?

So, since I rarely wear the same color socks on both feet and sleep every chance I get, all I have to do is cut a deal with Lucifer? Is the contract negotiable, or is it boilerplate?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 23rd, 2002, 7:05 pm

How did Regal hack in and write all the messages in this thread? :o :confused: :o
Stay tooned.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » July 24th, 2002, 12:08 am

I'll tell you how, Pete B. It's because he's also a brilliant computer hacker.

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!! He's even a better computer programmer than I am!

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 26th, 2002, 8:52 pm

I'm really not familiar with Regal at all, but I got a great deal on volume 1 of his three volume video series. Am I guessing that I'm in for a treat when it arrives?

reed mcclintock

Postby reed mcclintock » July 26th, 2002, 9:20 pm

I have met David a couple of times and he is trules and honestly one of the nicest guys in magic, that I have met. Truly talented, as far as creating, writing,and just as a person. Man, does anyone have directions to the cross roads where I can work a deal, or can I just fax the info, and grant all my wishes via Fed-ex. :cool:

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2002, 10:30 am

Doesn't it seem like everyone is getting into a David Regal mood? I'm no different. As we talk about his latest books, let's not forget to mention STAR QUALITY. Some wonderful routines in there!

Re: CONSTANT FOOLING its a wonderful set of books. There is one true highlight for me, but I don't want to call any extra attention to it, so I won't mention it. Or perhaps I will.

And, you know you're dealing with a guy who really loves what he does, when he writes, "I have a family I love, BUT..."

Can it be that the best part of these books isn't the tricks? Its everything else. Thankfully for us, David knows his strengths, and writes about them. Which, can make us all better performers.

The section "Under The Magnifying Glass" discusses just one such strength, that if you watch his videos, you will see for yourself. But, it may take you a few viewings, because it works SO well, that you won't even realize how brilliant it is at first! Really!

Similarly, "The Other Half" speaks for itself. Read it. Live it.

And, talk about well written, his "Introduction", in volume 1, is great! Especially the fourth paragraph. You could deliver this in show and have a chance of the audience thinking there is more to you than your tricks. But don't, that's my idea!

Lest we forget: The tricks are fully scripted by someone who makes his living as a writer! What more could we ask?

Yes, I do like the effects themselves, but I got caught up there in the other stuff! Let's see, what are a few effects that I CAN live with someone else doing as opposed to the ellusive one I mentioned the second paragraph of this post?

Rodent-In-A-Box is a fun platform item, with the laughs built in.

Eight Ball offers an interesting twist on similar effects. Getting some additional magic mileage along the way!

Very easy, but very good, is The World's First Card Trick. But be careful, you may have more fun DOING this one than your audience will have watching it! Don't get me wrong, people like it, but you'll LOVE it!

Essentially, now that I've mentioned several tricks, you are closer to knowing my favorite! perhaps I should go back, and delete! I won't.

However, you should find your own favorites. Its really easy to do with a set of books like these!

The sad news is that David informs us that he won't be realeasing books ever few years, as some do. This is okay, as long as he does release them with some regularity. Waiting, and seeing the material through its development, before publishing it, is actually better anyway. So, how about some more videos while we are waiting, David? I'd LOVE a series of "performance only" tapes, because, from you, that's an education all by itself.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 4th, 2002, 12:41 pm

Originally posted by John Blaze:
I'd LOVE a series of "performance only" tapes, because, from you, that's an education all by itself.
Hallelujah brother!

Dustin
(Feels the same about many great performers...wishes A-1 & L&L et al would produce performance only videos/DVDs)

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2002, 10:23 pm

Is Max Maven out there? Being a fan of Annemann and the JINX, he should know which effect I was alluding to after reading my post. ;)

Oliver Corpuz

Postby Oliver Corpuz » August 19th, 2002, 6:28 am

The only thing I hate about David Regal's new Constant Fooling books is that they seem to be printed on lead. Although I have magic books that are a lot thicker, these two books seem to weigh a lot more than any of them... probably because of the varnished pages. I guess a sore back from lugging them around is a small price to pay to read such outstanding magic.

- Oliver

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » August 19th, 2002, 7:41 am

We recently had some major water damage, and I am using the books (along with others) to try to mash down and flatten some items that need flattening. The Tarbell books are so light they are of no help at all.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 19th, 2002, 9:13 am

Steve.. must be Pulp Friction? :confused:
Stay tooned.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 19th, 2002, 3:22 pm

I just thought of another reason why I hate David. I just mopped the floor in my office, and there are 4 or 5 small pieces of repositionable double-stick tape on the floor.

Whose fault is that? David's.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”