New Ideas with Reality Twister

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Tim Trono

New Ideas with Reality Twister

Postby Tim Trono » January 1st, 2003, 10:25 pm

Although Reality Twister has just been released it has REALLY caught on for those who have purchased it. There have been LOTS of very interesting ideas already starting to be worked on based on Reality Twister. Many people have started to play with it and have already created some terrific ideas... some using props other than the pen, some with cool additions to the pen, some wonderful handling tips, etc. Paul Harris himself has developed several additional VERY good ideas. A few of Paul's friends have already submitted some great ideas. Paul is planning on putting out a booklet featuring some of the various ideas he and his friends have come up with. Thus if you have new routines, handlings, offshoots, tips, etc. that we should consider for possible inclusion in the Reality Twister booklet, please e-mail them to me directly (TIMTRONO@aol.com). I will then forward the ideas to Paul. Any submissions will be kept in absolute strict confidence. No ideas will be used until we receive your final permission once the booklet shapes up and we discuss it with you further. Please also ensure you describe the ideas in as much detail as possible. Also ensure to include your contact information so we can get in touch with you. Paul and I are looking forward to hearing some of your ideas with Reality Twister. It offers some truly amazing offshoots.

Tim Trono

Re: New Ideas with Reality Twister

Postby Guest » February 25th, 2003, 10:17 am

Hi Tim,
I've just sent off for one..Looking forward to it's arrival.I will let you all know what I think of it...Steve.

Postby Guest » March 26th, 2003, 6:35 pm

This isn't the reality twister, but it is with another of Paul's effects, Lipsmacker. Without disclosing the method, you could use a raven, then reproduce the mint from the mouth.

DJM

Postby Guest » March 30th, 2003, 1:01 am

Some small tips:
Use colorful suction pipes
Use colorful candy sticks for kids
Attach a elastic thread to the object and make it vanish at the end
Do a "shell" and make a color change of an object
Yes there is many cool effects that you can achieve with Reality Twister.

When I perform with Reality Twister I call the plastic lens for "the poor mans credit card" It looks empty but its full of surprises...haha

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » March 30th, 2003, 8:26 am

While looking at Reality Twister again I wondered if the principle would be applicable to a stage illusion. I'm not an illusionist and know very little about the mechanics, etc. (except what I read in the papers)but it appears to be a workable idea. Has anyone given this any thought or am I completely off the mark?

Best thoughts,
John Smetana :cool:

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » March 31st, 2003, 3:51 am

I suspect that Lighting problems would make this impractical for large scale illusion work.

I have just had a thought though, It might be possible to use it in a close up spirit painting effect.
Hmmmmmmm.
Dale

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » March 31st, 2003, 9:04 am

John and Dale:

Couldn't the rotation of the "viewer" be disguised? I believe it has some telltale optically-lenghthwise properties but that should be able to overcome, e.g., a box is empty, the viewer is placed in front, and an object/person visibly materializes???? Or would it lose its effectiveness on a large scale?

Steve H

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » March 31st, 2003, 1:57 pm

Originally posted by Steve Hook:
John and Dale:

Couldn't the rotation of the "viewer" be disguised? I believe it has some telltale optically-lenghthwise properties but that should be able to overcome, e.g., a box is empty, the viewer is placed in front, and an object/person visibly materializes???? Or would it lose its effectiveness on a large scale?

Steve H
Tha's what I was thinking Steve,but,as I said I'm not familiar enough with the mechanical or optical limitations.My initial thoughts were in the direction of a "Blue Room" type illusion sans mirrors.
Could be just a pipe dream also.Can any illusioneers out there help with this thought experiment?

Best thoughts,

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » March 31st, 2003, 2:02 pm

A spoon bend that puts a twist in the neck of a spoon could look VERY good and would be a great dinner trick.

Postby Guest » March 31st, 2003, 2:16 pm

I like your idea Chris -- can handle the spoon the same way you handle the pen if your giving it a 360 degree "bend"...can't see why it wouldn't work, and I've found the impact of the twisted pen to be even stronger than that of the "missing center".....

Postby Guest » March 31st, 2003, 4:30 pm

I submitted the idea of the twisting spoon idea to Tim, when he first started asking for idea for the book. My idea is 3 phases long and takes the idea a little further.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 31st, 2003, 4:51 pm

Joel was the first of a half-dozen or so magicians to submit the idea of using RT to put a twist in a spoon as part of a spoon-bending routine. As obvious as this idea may (or may not) be, it's even more obvious that it's a great combination. It works very well as a standalone trick.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » March 31st, 2003, 11:04 pm

I've been playing with the twisted fork idea too. Spontaneous invention goes postal :)

Take care, Ian

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » April 1st, 2003, 3:11 am

Originally posted by Steve Hook:
John and Dale:

Steve H
I guess the simplest way to disguise the twist, would be to make the lens circular.

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » April 1st, 2003, 11:41 am

I have just had a thought though, It might be possible to use it in a close up spirit painting effect.
Hmmmmmmm.
Dale[/QB][/QUOTE]

Hey Dale,
Very good idea. Considering your thought about a circular lens..how about this? A small box with the gaffus(circular) as the lid, in a frame of course. You could show a card, blank on both sides using the paddle type move,have it initialed on one side if you like, place it in the box and your painting or message gradually appears on the card.

best thoughts,

Return to “Light From the Lamp”