Phantoms of the Card Table

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.

Phantoms of the Card Table

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2003, 9:59 am

I just received today a book I ordered a few weeks ago entitled Phantoms of the Card Table written by David Britland and Gazzo. It is kind of an updated version of Eddie McGuire's Phantom of the Card Table and has quite a bit of material on Walter Scott. The last chapter, "Final Thoughts," is written by Steve Forte, who comments on how the techniques in the original Phantom book have changed over the years. I have just flipped through the book over the last hour but it looks very interesting.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Phantoms of the Card Table

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 17th, 2003, 11:47 am

Christopher, where did you get the book?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 17th, 2003, 12:22 pm

Does it have any material on the Punch Deal?

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 17th, 2003, 1:59 pm

I talked to Gazzo on Monday about this book -- he had a flyer for it. Since he can no longer perform the Punch Deal, sine his stroke, he decided to spill the beans.

Gazzo said there would be an American publisher for the book, which has been released in England.

I asked Dick Hatch about the book, and he said he had no information on it as yet.

A word about the Punch Deal -- it is a method of dealing cards marked with a dimple on the back. I've seen Gazzo perform it, and Steve Draun is an expert. I would imagine that people like Steve Forte and Darwin Ortiz and Andrew Wimhurst might be adepts. There is material on the opunch deal in "Marlo in Spades," and in Marlo's Magazine #6 (if memory serves), and the bible is the Eddie McGuire book referenced above by Chris Hanna.

As to the punch itself, a beautiful one was made by Jim Riser. I'm not sure if it available any longer.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » April 17th, 2003, 2:14 pm

I bought the book on-line from High Stakes Bookshop in London. I used the following website: www.gamblingbooks.co.uk

There is material on the punch (pages 218-226).

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » April 17th, 2003, 3:30 pm

Another worthwhile Punch reference is Ray Grismer's THE PUNCH LETTERS ("Instructions, Routines, Tips & Ideas for the Grismer Perfected Professional Punch").

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 17th, 2003, 8:53 pm

Return to “Light From the Lamp”