Goshman

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Bill Mullins

Goshman

Postby Bill Mullins » August 20th, 2005, 12:32 am

Dustin Stinnet reviewed a new DVD of an old International Magic tape. The DVD is titled as an Albert Goshman lecture, but the description is of performance only.

Is the DVD a full lecture (with explanations), or is it performance only (explaining the relatively short running time of 30 min.)?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Goshman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 20th, 2005, 7:33 am

Performance only.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2005, 8:25 am

@Bill Mullins

Get the video (I don't think it yet is converted to DVD) "Magic by Gosh", that contains both demo and lecture/explanations.
Most Magic Shops can supply I suppose, do a goggle search re it.. type 'magic by gosh video' and you get f.ex. h**p://w*w.magiclegends.com/product1187.html

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » August 21st, 2005, 8:38 am

The book (Magic By Gosh - The Life and Times of Albert Goshman) is also still available. Listed by Hank Lee among others.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » August 21st, 2005, 11:38 am

I've got the book.

Some of my favorite videos are Intl Magic Lectures. I just found it odd that this one was performance only, especially given that its title includes "Lecture", which to me, means explanations included.

Plus, $45 for 30 min puts in pretty far out on the content-per-dollar scale. (And this is _not_ a comment on the "value" of having a good record of Al Goshman's work.)

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2005, 11:55 am

Many many times, when Albert performed/demonstrated at a magicclub, this was announced to the members as a *lecture* and that's actually what Albert called it himself.

He did his act and told some basic insight in his act by telling a couple of stories/reminisenses.
But it normally never was what we *magicians* do call a lecture.
Nevertheless, to me and a lot of others, it was one of the best *lectures* just to se him perform, to se the *real work*..

This alone was a lecture in itself!

First after Albert stopped performing regularily, he release his book and later the video *Magic by Gosh* (captured on his 65th birthday).

Together with the Ron McMillan DVD mentioned (earlier that one was a video too) it gives valuable insight in the work of Albert Goshman.

Anybody interested in close-up magic should own a copy of BOTH, as well as his book!

It shows a lot of things, amongst others, that it is possible to create a world class close-up act, with a few, a VERY few basic sleights..no shuttlepasses, no backclips :)

His act even today would no doubt still be continously booked allover the world.!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 21st, 2005, 1:34 pm

Bill, DVDs cost more in the UK (everything costs more in the UK, including books).

So, you can't judge a foreign item by US prices.

All of that aside, this is the best dough you'll ever spend in magic. Can't recommend it highly enough. Trust me.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

KirkG

Postby KirkG » August 25th, 2005, 4:10 pm

I see to remember a few shuttle passes in his routine.

Kirk

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2005, 12:07 am

Originally posted by Kirk the Magician:
I see to remember a few shuttle passes in his routine.

Kirk
I doubt it.. :)
He didn't do a single one ever, but he used kind of an *Ulititie switch* in his coins across.
The shuttle-pass however, as we know it, he never used..
He also simply did THROW (secretly) a coin from one hand to another, but still, this has nothing to do with a shuttlepass :p
:p

Return to “Light From the Lamp”