Sankey's ad in genii for the cups and balls set

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
mrgoat

Sankey's ad in genii for the cups and balls set

Postby mrgoat » May 12th, 2004, 9:45 am

Hi

Anyone bought one of these?

I have a great two cup routine my Uncle created, I really think it's the best cups and balls routine I have ever seen.

I bought a cheap morrisey set to learn the routine, but they are too applaingly made to use working.

I am not in a position to buy expensive cups at the moment, and this 'capsule' idea of Sankey's seems to fit the bill. But it seems so cheap I will be disappointed.

Anyone got an opinion?

Thanks

Re: Sankey's ad in genii for the cups and balls set

Postby Guest » May 12th, 2004, 9:51 am

Personally, I've been having a lot of fun with it. Biggest benefit (in my opinion) is that the prop looks a lot more interesting than two cups. While Jay provides some interesting routines on the included CD, should be very easy to incorporate/personalize into most"routine personas"

Would be interesting if they came up with a "solid set" which could be swapped in at the end.....

(keep in mind that I tend to like almost off of Jay's stuff, so my views may be a bit biased)

Postby Guest » May 12th, 2004, 9:54 am

Just checked out your web site, and given your audience (and the price of the prop) I think you'll be very pleased.

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » May 12th, 2004, 1:59 pm

Ha! I just looked at his website , too
http://protagonist.co.uk/~damian/nokids.html

This line made me laugh out loud:

-----

"Damian just doesn't do kids' shows. They are a pain, they want balloon modelling and face painting and here's the white rabbit, here's the black rabbit and he just doesn't do it.

OK?"

-----

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 13th, 2004, 1:33 am

Originally posted by Scott Leavitt:
Just checked out your web site, and given your audience (and the price of the prop) I think you'll be very pleased.
Sometimes, when words are written down, you can just never tell if someone is mocking you or not...

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » May 13th, 2004, 6:33 am

No mockery from here, mate.
I genuinely enjoyed your web site and I appreciate your
approach to magic. Your line about why you don't do
kid shows made me laugh out loud .

Personally, I don't mind doing magic for children's parties , but I don't do the balloon twisting , the face painting , I don't bring the cake and party treats , and I don't have the bouncy tent or a pony ride.
Maybe if I did provide all those options I would make more money , but I'm the magician . That's it .

(Sorry I'm no help on the Sankey item you asked about ;
, haven't used it , but I think Scott L. was
being sincere in recommending it to you . )

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 13th, 2004, 8:55 am

I go the Sankey 2-cup item and to me it is much like jiggernaut... not my style. Too limited in what you can do.

That doesn't mean someone else can't do a good routine with it.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2004, 11:54 am

No mockery meant at all! Site showed that you do a lot of table/close-up work with young audiences (or so it seems from the site). By "price of the prop" just meant that there is little risk involved in the purchase!

Sorry if my writing came across the wrong way :(

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 13th, 2004, 1:35 pm

Originally posted by Scott Leavitt:
No mockery meant at all! Site showed that you do a lot of table/close-up work with young audiences (or so it seems from the site). By "price of the prop" just meant that there is little risk involved in the purchase!

Sorry if my writing came across the wrong way :(
No harm done, just sometimes written word is susceptable to interpretation...

And it was the aforementioned Uncle who pointed out you may be taking the mickey.

After all, I did the site myself and it is far from technically challenging!

But I appreciate you emailed me the same clarification.

I think I will buy it anyway, might be a nice addition and if it's not, no massive harm done!

Thanks to those that responded and thanks for the comments on the site. Glad I am amusing you! :D

Damian

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » May 17th, 2004, 11:07 am

Damian,

I felt the part about the kids was totally uncalled for and an insult to humanity....Nah, just mocking you!!! But I will do the occasional kid show if it pays....Carl

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 17th, 2004, 11:56 am

If you want to use the 'chop' feature you may need to find other balls as, IMHO, the strength of the magnets seems way too powerful.
Stay tooned.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 17th, 2004, 1:07 pm

Originally posted by Carl Mercurio:
Damian,

I felt the part about the kids was totally uncalled for and an insult to humanity....Nah, just mocking you!!! But I will do the occasional kid show if it pays....Carl
I admire you, in the UK they want the face painting, the baloons, the crowd control and don't allow the use of roofies. I just don't get it.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 17th, 2004, 1:10 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
If you want to use the 'chop' feature you may need to find other balls as, IMHO, the strength of the magnets seems way too powerful.
Pete

Thanks for the input, and for everyone's views.

I think it's worth the money just for a looksy, although I don't think it's going to be any substitute for a decent set of cups.

I just can't see me carrying around a $600 dollar set when I am not working and its a trick I want to do when I am not working.

I thought the coffee cups may work, but you can't stack them.

One day I will find a solution...

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » May 17th, 2004, 1:14 pm

Roofies????

Postby Guest » May 17th, 2004, 2:33 pm

You could also check out James Riser's mini cups. They only pack slightly bigger than the capsule, but are also instantly recognizable as "cups", plus being practical for all your two or three cup routines. Check out his site.

Michael Jay

Postby Michael Jay » May 22nd, 2004, 5:47 am

The Riser/Loomis Micro Cups are an excellent item, also. I wouldn't part with mine for anything.

The Magus Capsule is a nifty item. It is versatile and packs small, a good pocket item. There is a great deal that can be done with this particular item and Sankey explores some of the ideas in the DVD that comes with the capsule.

It also doubles as a chop cup (the one half), but, due to the strength of the magnet, it is rendered next to useless. Out of 10, I'd give the chop cup feature a 2. A low 2.

You cannot put anything on the top of the cup when it sits, resting on the table, mouth down. Of course, they don't stack. However, that out of the way, Sankey does not explore any two cup routining possibilities on the DVD. Not to worry, though, as you had stated in your original opening that you already have an excellent two cup routine.

Overall, I would recommend this item. The DVD covers all the bases as to the versatility of this item and, of course, the sleights that are necessary for the routines Sankey includes. Good for strolling magicians because of the pocket space that it (doesn't) take(s) up.

As a side note, on the DVD, Sankey includes a few bonus effects that have nothing to do with the Magus Capsule. I felt that I got my money's worth in this purchase.

Mike.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 26th, 2004, 6:15 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Pete

Just got the item yesterday and you are right. In fact, I think mine may be faulty as I CANNOT actually dislodge them by banging it down on table. However hard I whack it!

I am sending it back as not suitable for the purpose it was sold and asking for a refund.

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » June 1st, 2004, 8:06 pm

I have seen this prop and was not happy with the way the "caps" fit together. They looked uneven, and this made it look cheap. I guess you get what you pay for in quality of item. I think the trick and idea excellent, and I may have just seen a bad batch of product. I would stick with the mini chop cups, or just save a little longer and get a nice set of cups. The people I know who have bought the "caps" have also sent it back.

Scott

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 4th, 2004, 2:46 am

Originally posted by Scott Fridinger:
I have seen this prop and was not happy with the way the "caps" fit together. They looked uneven, and this made it look cheap. I guess you get what you pay for in quality of item. I think the trick and idea excellent, and I may have just seen a bad batch of product. I would stick with the mini chop cups, or just save a little longer and get a nice set of cups. The people I know who have bought the "caps" have also sent it back.

Scott
Got my refund from Penguin and have ordered two Golden Cups from El Duco.

Only 25 bucks more than the Sankey nonsense!

Now I just need to learn and master the routine.

See you in 10 years.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”