Scripting Magic is available

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.

Scripting Magic is available

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2007, 7:28 pm

Scripting Magic is finally out. Here's a bunch of ad copy, followed by information for people who might want to buy a signed copy from me.

<begin ad copy>

Scripting Magic
by Pete McCabe and 26 Other Guys

45 scripts, 13 essays, 7 interviews, and 1 flowchart to make you a better magician

The greatest resource on scripting magic ever created. Make your magic better without learning any new tricks or moves. Make it more effective, more magical, more powerful, more convincing, funnier, smarter, more dramaticanything you want. Scripting Magic has how-to essays, interviews, and complete, professional scripts for 29 classic trickstricks you already do. Scripts thatll get you the reaction you always dreamed of. Gasps of Astonishment. Laughter. Dramatic emotion. Whatever you want from your magic, scripting can help you get it.

Interviews and scripts from 26 contributors
How to write scripts: step by step, from setting up the margins in your word processor, to punching up even the most basic script until it really sings.
Tips for avoiding common scripting problems.
How to create and establish a unique character the audience will likeyou.
Ways to create original presentations without writing a complete script

Contributions from 26 of Magics greatest thinkers and performers:
Michael Ammar, Jon Armstrong, Bruce Barnett, Rafael Benatar, Eugene Burger, Michael Close, Bob Farmer, Paul Green, Eric Henning, Guy Hollingworth, Larry Jennings, Mark Joerger, Kenton Knepper, Jonathan Levit, John Lovick, Max Maven, Eric Mead, San ONill, Gary Ouellet, David Regal, Jim Steinmeyer, Vic Sussman, Jamy Ian Swiss, Teller, Joe M. Turner, and Larry White.

Includes scripts for 29 classic tricks:
Coins Across, Torn and Restored Card, The Invisible Deck, Gypsy Thread, Card to Pocket, The Add-A-Number Prediction, Triumph, The Trick that Fooled Einstein, The Southwest Miracle, Magicians Choice, The Self-Cutting Banana, Gemini Twins, The 41-Cent Miracle, The Open Prediction, The Dark Card, Hot Rod, Svengali Deck, Chop Cup, The Koornwinder Kar, The $100 Bill Switch, The Eleven Card Trick, UnDo Influence, The Thumbtip Silk Vanish, Wild Card, The Business Card Prophesy, Two in the Hand, One in the Pocket, Ive Got a Surprise for You, The Ace Assembly, and Out of This World.

At magic dealers everywhere Dealers contact Murphys Magic Supplies Inc.

<end ad copy>

If you would like a signed copy, I'll pay delivery. It will probably arrive after the New Year, so technically it comes from next year's magic budget even if you order right now.

Anyone interested after reading the ad can send a check for $40 to:

Pete McCabe
23371 Mulholland Dr. #166
Woodland Hills, CA 91364

Let me know if you want it signed and to who.

Also, the "F" word appears in the book in one place. I felt it was necessary to make the point, but I didn't want to subject magic shop owners to unhappy customers, especially parents who might have bought the book for their children. So I put it in with an underscore: F_ck. If you like, I'll write in the "u," and if you really like, I will initial the change so it's official. Just let me know.

Pete McCabe

Re: Scripting Magic is available

Postby Guest » December 31st, 2007, 12:49 am

Do you accept PayPal? Do you ship to europe?

Postby Guest » December 31st, 2007, 5:13 pm

You'll have two sales there by the look of it if you do.

John Bowden
Location: Main Street, Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland, E41 Y9K2.

Postby John Bowden » December 31st, 2007, 5:20 pm

I'd guess at least three................

John Bowden

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » December 31st, 2007, 5:37 pm

This is a great book!!! Every magician should have this book.
Thanks Pete

Postby Guest » January 1st, 2008, 12:04 am

Thanks for the interest and response.

I have to say that although it is a thrill anytime anyone wants to buy a book I wrote, in general I do not really have the skills or time to be a bookseller. This affects me in various ways.

I am shipping the first batch of books by Priority Mail Flat Rate Mailing Envelope, so they should arrive in 2-3 days. (In the US.) I won't deposit your check until I have shipped your book.

I don't currently take Paypal, because I have no experience with it whatsoever. At some point I'll have time to figure it out -- probably this summer. Until then, sorry for the inconvenience.

Similarly, I have no idea what is involved in shipping this book to Europe. However I be sending Guy Hollingworth's contributor's copy to England, so I'll know if this is something I can do on an ongoing basis.

I realize that all this limits my sales, but it gives me more time with my family, so it's a small price to pay. Again, sorry for any inconvenience.

Otherwise, buy it from your favorite dealer, and make a trip to the Magic Castle. Come on a Wednesday, and I'll sign it for you.

Thanks again for the interest.

Postby Guest » January 1st, 2008, 1:15 am

I'm thinking of buying this. But do you write in the book, "the Cafe is back up and running" a lot when you don't get a joke? You do that here all the time and it's tiresome. Please let me know.

Postby Guest » January 1st, 2008, 2:15 am

Originally posted by Joe Pike:
I'm thinking of buying this. But do you write in the book, "the Cafe is back up and running" a lot when you don't get a joke? You do that here all the time and it's tiresome. Please let me know.
Joe,

If you don't like my sense of humor, or if you think that making two jokes on the same subject counts as all the time, then you might not like the book. It has several instances of jokes that call back to previous references, which could be tiresome for you.

Postby Guest » January 1st, 2008, 2:37 am

Many thanks, Pete. Your candor is admirable. I don't think I've seen your sense of humor here yet, but regardless:

Happy new year,

Joe

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 1st, 2008, 8:33 am

Pete, let me give you a few tips from an old publisher.

1. Never ship a book until the credit card has been charged or the check clears. You'd be surprised how many naughty people there are in our little field who want a book for nothing.

2. Find a way to take credit cards immediately. Many people simply won't order from you otherwise and people from overseas have few other options. Set up a PayPal account--it's very simple. (We'll be doing it at Genii soon, but it's more complicated because it has to tie into a shopping cart program.)

3. If you're going to publish a book, do it like a professional and get your ducks in a row so your potential customers have a clear idea of how to order and how much they need to send. Confusion puts people off.

Now ... good luck!
Richard
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » January 1st, 2008, 9:20 am

Pete, you can ship single copies of your book almost anywhere in the world for just $11 ($9 to Canada and Mexico I think) in a global priority flat rate mailer, which is free at the PO (This is the same mailer that is just $4.60 to USA destinations). You can even print the postage online at www.usps.com and save a bit of money, plus send the customer an email alerting them to the shipment.
You probably know this already if you've sent the copy mentioned above to Guy.
The book looks like it is full of great information by the way! Good luck and Happy 2008!

Postby Guest » January 1st, 2008, 1:29 pm

If Pete were the only contributor, and the book was filled with nothing more than the sort of good advise he showed in his script for the standard Sponge Ball routine, this would be worth a look.

Congratulations Pete!

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2008, 1:19 am

I was lucky enough to proofread the book and I can honestly say it is fantastic. (Full disclosure: I have a small contribution in the book, but my item is one of the least interesting things in it, so please believe me when I tell you I'm unbiased in my recommendation -- and I have nothing to gain monetarily from sales. My payment was a free copy of the book.)

The book is an invaluable resource that I think every magician, no matter their level or experience can benefit from. The essays, interviews, and scripts are all top notch. Pete has done a great job.

Postby Guest » January 13th, 2008, 11:15 pm

I can now take Paypal for copies of Scripting Magic. Each copy is signed and shipped by priority mail in the US for $40 total.

My Paypal account is pjmccabe@roadrunner.com, and that's the email address you should use to send me your mail address. Also to tell me if you would like the hand-lettered u (see first post in this thread).

I am also ready to take orders from outside the US. The price is $50 (US) and sent by United States Priority Mail International.

Thanks for your patience while I slowly immerse myself in the world of selling magic books. Any questions, email me at pjmccabe@roadrunner.com.

Here are a few quotes about the book:

A wonderfuland lengthyread. McCabe links it all together with a delightful and dextrous, witty writing style I found this book an absolute delight.
Misterblacktalkmagic.co.uk

Buy Pete McCabe's book. (This is a bit out of context, but still.)&#8232;
Andrew Martin

So far, its a great book.
Al Doty

The first magic book Ive ever had that mentions the Avogadro number.
Joe M. Turner

What a great book!
Charlie Randall

(edited to correct an attribution)

Postby Guest » January 14th, 2008, 7:27 am

Scripting Magic is an excellent book and should be on the shelf of any performer who speaks in his (or her) show.

Very well laid out, easy to read, well referenced and some exceptionally good scripts too.

Highest recommendation.

PS Pete, The Magical Milliner was Cecil Lyle, inventor of the Paper Hat Tear.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”