Dustin's review of "Punishment" by Patrick McCullagh

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Jim Maloney_dup1

Dustin's review of "Punishment" by Patrick McCullagh

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 7th, 2007, 10:20 am

I just read Dustin\'s review of "Punishment" by Patrick McCullagh in the Light From the Lamp section here on the forum. In it, he states:
"Card Watch" is a novel ending for Paul Harris' "Whack the Pack" (credited) where the thought of card appears folded under the spectator's watch.
In fact, this is not entirely novel. Pit Hartling has published this idea twice: once as "Sp!it Second" in the August 2000 issue of Genii and again in Card Fictions under the title "High Noon". Neither uses the Mercury Card Fold as Dustin implied in his review of McCullagh's trick -- they both use duplicates cards and a force. Still, the idea is not new. Pit Hartling credits Marc Sicher and Steve Cohen with the inspiration for reproducing the card under the watch in the Genii description. In Card Fictions, he states that he developed the combination of Paul Harris' "Reflex" (aka "Whack Your Pack") and Card under the Watch with Andreas Buchty from Freiburg and that Marc Kanert of Frankfurt "also experimented along the same lines."

Also, while I don't have the materials to fully give credit here, I believe that Carl Andrews' "Deja Vu" is a predecessor to McCullagh's "Sweet Dreams of You". It uses a dream presentation (and a triumph effect) and ends with an odd backed card being revealed as the signed selection (ala Sankey's "Paperclipped").

-Jim

Re: Dustin's review of "Punishment" by Patrick McCullagh

Postby Guest » September 7th, 2007, 11:02 am

I believe that Norman Beck claims credit to the Card Under Watch. I can't remember at the present time, but I believe that he put in print a long time ago (I want to say late 80's-early 90's ish).

I could be wrong.....my wife often seems to think I am. I am positive there are others who can say for sure though.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 7th, 2007, 12:27 pm

The Norman Beck routine was published in one of Gordon Beam's Locked Room columns. I have Genii from 92, and it was not long after that.

Take care, Ian

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 7th, 2007, 1:55 pm

You are correct about Norman Beck -- it was published in the May 1995 Genii. Pit Hartling provides this credit in Card Fictions. My post above was mainly to credit the Card Under Watch as a climax to Paul Harris' "Reflex", which as far as I know was first published by Pit.

-Jim

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 7th, 2007, 3:51 pm

Folks,
I just received an e-mail from Darwin Ortiz about this. He pointed out an important fact that I was not aware of when I made my original post: that Punishment had been previously released on VHS in 2000. With this additional information, it appears that the Card Under Watch/Reflex combination was more likely independently invented around the same time by both parties.

Thanks for the info Darwin!

-Jim

Postby Guest » September 25th, 2007, 3:50 am

Originally posted by Jim Maloney:
Folks,
I just received an e-mail from Darwin Ortiz about this. He pointed out an important fact that I was not aware of when I made my original post: that Punishment had been previously released on VHS in 2000. With this additional information, it appears that the Card Under Watch/Reflex combination was more likely independently invented around the same time by both parties.

Thanks for the info Darwin!

-Jim
The original "Corporate Punishment" lecture notes were published in 1996, with the Reflex/Scarne fold watch routining. Close reviewed them in MAGIC.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”