New by Tom Stone

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Tom Stone

New by Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » July 27th, 2007, 8:26 am

I guess that it is some kind of compulsive behaviour or some odd version of Tourette's - anyway, the result is is a new ebook; "Sleapless in a Pipedream".
For those of you who find such things interesting, it can be found at:
http://shop.tomstone.se

I'll spare you the dealer ad copy.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: New by Tom Stone

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 27th, 2007, 9:08 am

Tom, I think you should really tell Forum readers more about the contents of your new e-book! If it's anything like the others, then it's a MUST BUY.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2007, 9:51 am

Tom is a very clever guy. His publications are clear and easy to understand. Anyone, and by that I mean ANYONE, can benefit from his booklet on self publishing. It is a bargain at $5.

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2007, 10:52 am

Tom, can you give us more information on what is in the new ebook? I have bought some of your other ebooks, Gravel is my all time favorite. If you can give us more information, I can come up with a convincing argument for my wife on why I just had to buy your latest ebook. Thanks.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » July 27th, 2007, 11:03 am

Sleapless (I'm not sure if the typo is deliberate) has several interesting routines;

It starts off with a bit based on the elbow coin catch. There's an idea for the Miser's Dream, followed by a four packet card assembly thing. Then there's an idea for the Sub Trunk, and one for Sefalalgia. Finally there's a close up wine glass vanish.

For fifteen dollars it's a no brainer.

Take care, Ian

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 28th, 2007, 2:45 am

I always look forward to Tom's booklets. This one has some excellent material, and the Joker assembly has some devious workings -- first rate.

Filled with his lovely illustrations and with excellent crediting, the ideas in "Sleepless" will make you think! The Slo-Mo Sub Trunk is a devilish idea -- since you can't beat the Pendragons for speed, what if you moved the covering curtain down a little bit at a time? The magician's legs are on view as the curtain lowers and we see the upper half of the assistant's body until she is completely revealed. Great thinking!

I just looked over the paragraph above and noted how many times I used the words "think" and "idea". Tom Stone is a masterful magician and this little e-book is more than worth the asking price.

Matt Field

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » July 28th, 2007, 3:27 am

Originally posted by Ian Kendall:
Sleapless (I'm not sure if the typo is deliberate)
I wish I could say that the typo was intentional, like a pun or play on words - but no, I messed up. Noticed it first this morning and uttered words that made the wallpaper curl. :)

pduffie

Postby pduffie » July 30th, 2007, 1:36 pm

First: I like the misspelt title!

Second: Matt Field read my mind and posted exactly what I was going to say...how do you do that, Matt?

So, all that's left to say is; buy this while it's available, because knowing Tom, this excellent manuscript will probably soon vanish as quickly as "Princess Salome's Drink."

Peter

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2007, 2:55 pm

Originally posted by Matthew Field:
... The Slo-Mo Sub Trunk is a devilish idea -- since you can't beat the Pendragons for speed...
you may was well use a sharpie pen or other prop and make a desktop or even card trick using that principle. ;)

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » July 30th, 2007, 6:47 pm

Tom,
I absolutely LOVE your material and jumped to your site when I read your announcement. Your material is incredibly fresh and I greatly look forward to each new release.

One of my favorites is "A Bite My Dear," and I finally found the perfect balls for "Triball Rites." Anyone interested should look into a product (in America) called "Buck Shotz," which are manufactured as "Popballz" refills.

Thanks Tom! Download is complete, and I'm looking forward to absorbing your new material...

Best regards,
Evan

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2007, 9:35 pm

Excellent material! I'm still toying with the miser's dream idea. The sub trunk idea is fabulous. I'll have to build a Sefalaljia cabinet incorporating Tom's idea (with a little modifications). Keep 'em coming, Tom - always inspiring.
Jim

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2007, 2:50 am

The Pendragons are fast, that's for sure, but I saw a fellow in Acapulco in 1983 who did the fastest Sub Trunk I have ever seen. He performed at the Circulo de Ilusionistas convention. His name is Dino, if memory serves.

I do like the Pendragons' handling of the cloth, though.

Postby Guest » August 2nd, 2007, 9:32 am

One of the fastest "slow" Sub Trunks I ever saw was done in a European circus back in the 60s or 70s and shown on American television. The usual business was gone through and the trunk was surrounded by a large curtained cabinet.

Standing on the right side of the trunk the performer pulled the left side of the curtain shut covering one half of the trunk. He then pulled his side of the curtain shut closing the front completely.

Instantly the left side of the curtain was pulled open by his assistant standing there while the magician did went south. She stepped forward giving the audience time to react and then pushed the curtained cabinet back and proceeded with the reveal of him in the trunk.

I cannot remember the name of this performer, but it was, I thought, an exceedingly clever presentation, skillfully creating the illusion of an instantaneous transposition. I've never seen anyone else use this particular approach.

It was quite startling and well-received.

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » August 3rd, 2007, 10:55 am

Thanks for sharing that, David. The imagery has my mind racing...
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Postby Guest » August 4th, 2007, 9:04 am

I got this, and once again I'm impressed at how Tom provides so much food for thought and exellent material.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 4th, 2007, 1:37 pm

I looked at Tom's version of the Jennings "Ambidextrous Travelers" on YouTube and watched it four times. I absolutely could not figure out how he got one of the signed cards in his pocket--he never went near it and the spectator took it out.
It was a relief when Tom told me that he also fooled Tommy Wonder with the same thing. It's in one of his earlier e-books.
Killer.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » August 5th, 2007, 12:53 am

Richard:

Tom fooled everybody at the Magic Castle with this trick. His lecture was packed, and when he announced that he would be teaching this trick, there was a massive sigh of relief from those in attendance.

Postby Guest » August 5th, 2007, 4:40 am

What, please, is the address for Tom Stone on YouTube performing Jennings "Ambidextrous Travelers"?

Thanks.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » August 5th, 2007, 5:00 am

It's also on his excellent DVD Caught on Tape.

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » August 5th, 2007, 5:52 am

This is the link to Mr. Fogg, the excellent version of the Ambidextrous Travelers.

Denis

Postby Guest » August 5th, 2007, 9:50 am

Thanks for link, Denis. What a strong effect!

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » October 16th, 2008, 6:50 pm

A few practice clips with material from "Sleapless in a Pipedream":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blHnxRrj4mc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFjMftg-lWs

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » October 17th, 2008, 8:01 pm

Mr. Stone,

Thanks very much for posting all the recent clips which are a pleasure to watch: entertaining, instructive, humbling, and inspiring. You are a real Magician. :^D

David Cox

Return to “Light From the Lamp”