The Magic of Ascanio: The Structural Conception of Magic

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.

The Magic of Ascanio: The Structural Conception of Magic

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2005, 9:20 am

Perhaps I am missing the obvious here. Ascanio's influence has been justifiably pervasive in close up magic and has extended globally. Jamy Ian Swiss's review in the current Genii was a thorough discussion of what the volume contains, but the review seemed ambivalent about a recommendation. Again, I may be missing a tacit assumption that anything written by Ascanio on the theory of magic is worth careful study and inherently carries its own recommendation. I also sensed Jamy was reserving judgement until all three volumes have been published. Any thoughts or reactions?

Marco Pusterla

Re: The Magic of Ascanio: The Structural Conception of Magic

Postby Marco Pusterla » February 23rd, 2005, 12:42 pm

Hi!
I studied these volumes (all four of them, including the one on knives) in their original language, Spanish, when they first come out.

I - personally - don't think the first volume needs the other 2 (3, if you count the knives' one) to be appreciated. The other two volumes contain tricks published by Ascanio in various books and magazines, lecture notes, tapes, etc. and while they show his theories applied to effects, do not always stress on the theoretical principle, being most devoted to the practical side of the effect, its technique. The theory is, of course, behind and in some tricks ("Los Dias Negros" - The Black Days) is discussed again, but most tricks are just a sequence of technical handling details.

The book on knives is a world on its own, as it is a reprint of the scarce volume first published in the fifties and difficult to obtain. It is more a collection of moves and techniques than a theoretical study of the art of magic.

I would recommend to start studying the first volume while waiting for the other two... I sometimes re-read it and always find something new.

Just my 2 cents, ciao!

---
Marco Pusterla - http://www.mpmagic.co.uk/
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Postby Guest » February 23rd, 2005, 2:48 pm

Marco, thanks for your perspectives on this. I look forward to reading the volume when it comes out in English.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » February 24th, 2005, 2:50 pm

Speaking of, does anyone have any notion of when the book will be out?

best,
N.
IllusionArtistry.com

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » March 2nd, 2005, 6:45 pm

Out of the printers about tomorrow, in Spain. It is expected to be generally available in the US sometime in March.

Postby Guest » March 3rd, 2005, 1:00 pm

Rafael,
Thanks for the good news on the publication. I'm looking forward to reading the book. Do you know whether it will be generally available from magic dealers in the US, or primarily from the publisher?

Randy DiMarco

Postby Randy DiMarco » March 3rd, 2005, 3:12 pm

At one of the other boards Jason London is saying that Hocus-Pocus will have this book available on monday but the book will not be available elsewhere for 2 or 3 months. Does anyone know if this is true. I would rather pick this up from a local shop.

Postby Guest » March 3rd, 2005, 4:18 pm

I just placed a pre-order through Murphy's for our shop. I understand that no one can get them at the moment, but they're coming out soon. Murphy's didn't mention anything about HP having an exlcusive or first shot at them. Your local shop should be able to get them from Murphys.

Sam
The Trick Shop
(866)MAGIC-04

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » March 3rd, 2005, 5:11 pm

I'll be in LA next week. I'l probably have some with me and will get more directly from Spain, a few days later. It came out of the printers today.

JR Russell

Postby JR Russell » March 3rd, 2005, 11:51 pm

Rafael,
It's too bad you didn't have a batch in Blackpool last week. You would have been the sell out of the convention! You were awesome at the convention and your Cups and Balls email routine is great. Thanks for taking the time to say hello, my wife (the music lady) was charmed and impressed with your performance. It was the first time she ever told me I could buy a set of videos!! Looking forward to seeing the book!

JR
Fly Navy!
JR Russell
"Fly Navy"

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » March 4th, 2005, 2:14 am

You can also get them from the publisher in Spain: librosdemagia
Perhaps intersting for European orders.

Ciao
Denis

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » March 4th, 2005, 3:15 am

Hi JR,
Thanks for your comments. The book almost made it to Blackpool. The editor tried but some printers took about 3 weeks to give a quote after the book was ready to go to press. Good to meet you, and give my regards to the music lady, and tell her I'm flattered by her permission.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 5th, 2005, 11:44 am

Will see you when you get here... and off to Dean's Shoppe (or are you going to Arizona for Baseball Spring Training?)

CIAO
Stay tooned.

Jason London

Postby Jason London » March 5th, 2005, 2:04 pm

Greetings,

Just a little heads up...

Hocus Pocus Magic, through special arrangement, will have a quantity of Ascanio books on Tuesday. The price is $59.95 PP in the United States.

We will have the book 2 to 3 months before any other dealer.

Thanks,

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » March 17th, 2005, 4:31 pm

Hocus-Pocus told me today that there was a problem with customs and that they expect them shortly. I suggested updating their order page which still has March 7th. :confused:

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » March 17th, 2005, 4:42 pm

I'll have some books in LA tomorrow. On Sunday I'll do a presentation at the Magic Castle. Time yet to be confirmed but I think it's gonna be 5 p.m. at the Peller Theater.

Rafael Benatar

Postby Rafael Benatar » March 19th, 2005, 12:04 pm

Ascanio book is here and it's beautiful. Great production value. I am now in LA and have some copies with me. I'll be presenting it at the Castle Sunday 5 p.m. at the Peller Theater. If someone wants a copy shipped in the US, e-mail me at rbenatar@teleline.es

Jason London

Postby Jason London » March 19th, 2005, 2:52 pm

Greetings,

Hocus Pocus Magic now has the book in-stock. Yes, it was stuck in customs, but we have resolved the issue.

Thanks for your patience.

Cesar Munoz

Postby Cesar Munoz » March 24th, 2005, 3:36 pm

I ordered the book from Hocus Pocus and it came yesterday in the mail.

The book is so good--I can't put it down.

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » March 27th, 2005, 2:38 pm

Rafael had a few copies with him when he was here in Martinez this Friday and Saturday. Each copy sold instantly.

Production value is excellent. I like its compactness.

I started reading it last night. This is clearly a superb book to savor and contemplate. There is obviously much to be learned from Ascanio and this is a good way to do it. I also look forward to future editions, especially the one on knives. This one is easy to give a "Highest Recommendation."

Thanks to Rafael Benatar for translating this book from the Spanish for all of us to read and enjoy.

PapaG

Postby PapaG » March 27th, 2005, 6:24 pm

Any ideas as to when we might see this book in the UK?

Martin Kaplan

Postby Martin Kaplan » March 27th, 2005, 8:48 pm

You can order the book directly from the publisher. Go to http://www.librosdemagia.com and click on the English section. Their price is $60 plus postage.

-Marty

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » March 28th, 2005, 8:15 am

Many thanks, Marty! I just ordered mine.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » March 30th, 2005, 8:13 pm

It took me a moment to find the English section, but since I found it, I'll save you all some trouble, here's a direct link: The Magic of Ascanio

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » April 4th, 2005, 10:24 am

Hey, Pete. Care to share some thoughts on when you first saw Ascanio introduce the Ascanio spread with Mike and Herb in Amsterdam, July 1970?

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2005, 7:48 pm

I just recently got my copy from Rafael Benatar who did a wonderful lecture at the S.A.M. here in NYC last Thursday evening.

I've only gotten to half of the book so far but I can't put it down. Do yourself a favor run and get this book now!

Most important, study this book. Don't just read it passively, study it and study it again. FIN!

Roberto

Return to “Light From the Lamp”