New Items

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Tim Trono

New Items

Postby Tim Trono » June 27th, 2002, 9:15 pm

Ive received a bunch of e-mails requesting updates on what is new and the status on some of the items previously mentioned. There are 3 new items just out or just about to come out: 1) 2 new David Regal books 2) a new Simon Aronson effect and 3) a new video by Jon Allen.

I just received an advance copy from the printer of the 2 new David Regal books, Constant Fooling. They came out GREAT and Andrew Pinard did a SUPERB job on the layout design and dust jackets. The material is exceptional some of David strongest material to date. Its amazing how David just keeps coming up with such heavy hitters. David did an unbelievable job writing the book. These are shipping to us tomorrow or Monday so watch for them at your favorite dealer soon.

Also at the printer is a new Simon Aronson effect called Side-Swiped. I believe this is Simons most commercial and one of his strongest effects by far. It is also one of Simons favorite creations. It is super easy to do with only one sleight if you can even call it that yet it is quite strong and will fool most anyone. It leaves the spectator with a permanent, personalized impossible object (and no memorization is required LOL). I believe this is one of the most commercial card effects to be released in quite some time.

If you havent heard about the Jon Allen video contact your favorite dealer and buy it! Most of you are already familiar with Jon through the many awards he has been honored with by his peers over the last several years including: the Ron MacMillan International award, the IBM Close-up Champion award, the IBM British Ring Close-up Champion award, the British Magical Championship award, The Magic Circle Close-up Champion award, and several others. Here is your chance to see this award winning professional and learn some of his bread and butter routines and insight into performing through years of work for real people.

The video opens with Jon performing for people who are not primed, with no rehearsal, and with no re-shooting. This gives you a chance to see the interaction, the participation, and the reactions.

Jon then goes on to teach several of his favorite working pieces. These are items that make a good living for Jon. It's rare that one sees the actually bread and butter routines of a working pro on video nowadays but we talked Jon into spilling it all on this video. "Ghost" is an animated bill routine that John had previously sold as a separate item. Of particular interest to many will be Jon's insight on thread work. Next is Jon's coins across routine with two powerful ways for the all important last coin appearing in the spectator's hand. Jon then goes on to explain his rubber band routine. Small touches can make all the difference in the world and Jon's routine is a heavy hitter for lay audiences. Jon then discusses his ambitious card routine and his signed card to box routine entitled "The Destination Box". This may well be the strongest card to box in existence. Many top performers, including Jamy Ian Swiss and Marc DeSouza, have raved about Jon's clever handling of this classic effect. Jon then goes on to teach his thought of card to signed envelope and, as a bonus, includes his thought of card on ceiling. Both of these are extremely strong pieces particularly with the audience believing that they merely thought of a card. Finally, Jon teaches his wonderful version of the "Professor's Nightmare". Jon's handling, entitled "Freddy's Dead", has fooled even well posted magicians. All of the effects are practical, within the ability of most, and concentrate on involving the spectators. Along the way, Jon imparts valuable knowledge gained from years as a professional including how to approach a table, deal with interruptions, make routines more "viewer friendly", and involve the whole group. Jon stresses breaking down the "us" verses them "barrier" often encountered when performing. This allows for a more memorable and much stronger experience for audiences.

This video introduces wonderful touches and variations on a few classics as well as introducing some new, strong ideas. We tried to make the video fun to watch while at the same time focusing on real world routines and ideas used by an international professional and top award winning magician.

Hope that information is helpful and answers the questions asked.

BTW... Magic Smith has just released a new DVD by Paul Green entitled "In the Trenches". I have seen all of the material and this is REALLY strong, usable, practical, great magic. Paul, in addition to being one hell of a nice guy, is an extremely busy worker and he USES this material. I believe the DVD is just shipping out but I have already placed my order. Don't pass this one up. Paul will be at the Magic Smith booth at IBM so stop by and say hi to him and get his DVD. This, BTW, is an unsolicited post as I have no personal interest other than knowing how solid Paul's material is.

Also, check out the new video entitled Ivory Connection It is Steve Dobson and Reed McClintocks handling of the Sacks dice routine but is quite different. Reed and I hung out recently when we were both in LA and Reed got an unbelievable reaction with this routine. You cannot do any better than to study this and the James Lewis video Doctor Sacks Amazing Dice Trick. Jim is a master at making routines so clear and magical and hes done that with his handling of the Sacks routine. With these two videos youll have all you need. Ivory Connection offers a super idea to open the routine which is worth the price of the video. Reed will be at IBM also so you should ask him to do this for you it will fool you. James Lewis may be making a rare appearance at IBM as well as he has been extremely busy working on a new show. Again, no personal interest other than its a great item.

I will look forward to meeting some of you at the IBM National convention as Ill be there from July 2 to July 7.

Tim Trono

Ruben Padilla

Re: New Items

Postby Ruben Padilla » June 27th, 2002, 9:40 pm

Tim, please be sure to bring a healthy supply of Regal books to the convention!...
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Tim Trono

Postby Tim Trono » June 27th, 2002, 10:02 pm

Hi Ruben. We (Murphy's) only sell wholesale but just check with your favorite dealer as they will undoubtedly be carrying the 2 Constant Fooling books. Most likely, the books will be ready just after the conventions as the freight shipment from the printers takes about a week or so and I am anticipating they will ship June 28th to us.

Tim Trono

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 28th, 2002, 9:06 am

Just saw Bob Sheets lecture in Chattanooga last night (saw Joe Turner too, hello JMT). If you're interested in a dice routine, you should also look at his new "It's the Rules" tape. Like all
of Sheets' material, it is quality stuff.

Tim, you said that Allen's tape will include his "Freddy's Dead" Professor's Nightmare routine. About 2-3 years ago I saw him lecture at Denny and Lee's, and remember that his work on the count was original, and good. A while later, I went to his notes to look it up, and he specifically didn't include the count!! Does the tape have it???

Tim Trono

Postby Tim Trono » June 28th, 2002, 11:26 am

Hi Bill. Yes the Bob Sheets routine is excellent. I was fortunat4e enough to have Bob teach this to me personally. It has the advantage that you can use large dice for added visibility. Quiet honestly though, my only critique is that the explanation on the tape is a little weak. Bob has some BRILLIANT thinking but I feel it's a little hard to "get it" from the explanation on the tape. The routine itself is not really an easy routine to learn in the first place. But I'd definitely also recommend watching the Sheets' video. Im a big advocate that when you decide you are going to learn a routine that you study all of the various available resources.

As far as "Freddy's Dead", yes all of the details are included and then some. I refuse to put material on a tape if someone wants to hold out. Jon spilled it all... all of the details, thinking, etc. on all of the routines on the tape.

Tim Trono

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 28th, 2002, 12:57 pm

Originally posted by Tim Trono:
Im a big advocate that when you decide you are going to learn a routine that you study all of the various available resources.
When Johnny Ace Palmer lectured in Gatlinburg a few years ago, he related the question of another magician, Which magic magazine should I subscribe to?

Johnny said that if you want to commit to being a better magician, get them all. Maybe this is overkill, maybe not.

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » June 29th, 2002, 5:00 pm

Originally posted by Tim Trono:
As far as "Freddy's Dead", yes all of the details are included and then some. I refuse to put material on a tape if someone wants to hold out. Jon spilled it all... all of the details, thinking, etc. on all of the routines on the tape.

Tim Trono[/QB]
Tim,

The arm is now out of the cast and healing well. You could have gone easy on me!

I'm sure your persuasion technique will prove to be worth it. I daren't tell anyone what you did to persuade me to put The Destination Box on there ;)

See you at IBM.

Jon

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » June 29th, 2002, 5:15 pm

I have seen virtually all of Jon Allen's magic ideas first hand and can say all of them are top notch. His video would be a great addition to anyone's library.

I particularly like his handling of Professor's Nightmare - very good!

Return to “Light From the Lamp”