speaking volumes

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.

speaking volumes

Postby Guest » June 4th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Why not start a thread here on this popular topic?

--Mention a "Great Trick" you perform, which (though it appears in print) has been over-looked by most...

Here are a few of examples from my repertoire:
1. "If ATFUS You Don't Succeed, Stahl", by Mr.David Stahl; Appeared in the short-lived "Magic Manuscript" (issue #2 I believe--Mr. K. Fox on the cover)...
2. "The Boomeranging Card of Mystery" by Daryl, which appeared in "Secrets of a Puerto Rican Gambler".
BONUS SELECTION:
3. "Inside Trading" by Mr. Jay Sankey, "Sankey Unleashed" among others...

Re: speaking volumes

Postby Guest » June 5th, 2006, 8:58 am

Hi there. I was just talking with Richard about getting on The Forum to suggest that users do exactly what you propose!

Of course feel free to post on The Forum, but if you'd like to be considered for publication in GENII, and you know of an excellent trick from a book that seems to have escaped attention, you can also email me the information. When I have twelve solid submissons I'll put together another year of Speaking Volumes.

For those who wish to send me a submission, I do not need to know the method of the effect (that's not the point of the series, it's to steer people to books) just the name of the book, the effect, and WHY you like it so much. In addition, include a few sentences about yourself, that I can weave into my comments.

Send submissions to regalmagic@earthlink.net

Posting on The Forum does not preclude publication in GENII, but I will only consider postings that have been sent to me as well, for possible inclusion in the series.

Thanks.

Postby Guest » June 16th, 2006, 1:04 pm

Since 1985 I've been doing a great little
packet trick...

In "BEST OF FRIENDS" VOL II pg 58...

"Off-Color Monte" by Peter Marshall!

It's quick,easy, and gets a huge response.
It has both a climax and a kicker!...
...it can be done with or without a table!
...it resets instantly...
...uses regular cards ...
...and...
there are a number of very magical moments in it.
Don't just read it - try it out!

Then send your thanks to Peter for creating it
and Harry for publishing it.

Later,
Dennis

Postby Guest » June 18th, 2006, 3:15 pm

"The Boomeranging Card of Mystery" is the very first item in Daryl's famous "Secrets of a Puerto Rican Gambler (as revealed to Stephen Minch)", and I have used it as my "card opener" for about 25 years.

It is an "impressive feat" (which establishes your credentials and) which happens to be mind-boggling to laymen.

It directly involves 3 spectators (who make selections) and so is a great "stand-up" card trick that plays to a crowd.

I have found it to be the perfect trick for those times say, during a walk-around gig, when you begin by showing a person or a couple a small trick, during-which a larger crowd is attracted, signalling that your next item has to play bigger than the piece with-which you started: i.e., it is a good "transitional trick" between close-up and parlor, that helps you go from small to larger, without missing a beat. "Crowd management."

Further, it can be done with a borrowed deck, no table needed, no set-up, no reset...You get the idea.

Mr. Regal: You are one of the good ones. Thank you for your consideration.

Return to “Columns”