Dustin Stinett's review of The Roadrunner Cull - lacking important information

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.
PickaCard

Dustin Stinett's review of The Roadrunner Cull - lacking important information

Postby PickaCard » February 26th, 2008, 4:22 pm

Dustin,

I was disappointed that your review of The Roadrunner Cull lacked a valuable piece of information to many Genii readers.

It would have been very helpful if you have added to your review a comparison of a similar product that you recently gave a glowing review.

In the September 2007 Genii you gave a very strong recommendation to The Cullfather. In the March 2008 Genii you also give a strong recommendation to The Roadrunner Cull. Both DVDs appear to be very similar in content.

I would have found it useful if you would have compared both products seeing how you reviewed both recently.

Do you think there is still value in the Roadrunner Cull for those who already purchased the Cullfather based on your review?

Thanks

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Dustin Stinett's review of The Roadrunner Cull - lacking important information

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 26th, 2008, 5:34 pm

My apologiesbut thank goodness for this site where we can take care of such oversights.

Both discs are excellent, but I think that The Roadrunner Cull might be a slightly more complete product. It offers a little more in the area of effects (particularly in seeing the cull in real-world performance) as well as a few more uses of the cull itself. If I were to have to recommend one over the other, I would choose only The RRC and not both.

That being said, The Cull Father is excellent and if you already have it and you are using the cull effectively in your work (and to a level with which you are satisfied), theres no need to purchase The RRC.

BUT, if you wish to explore the cull further, perhaps gain the same speed with which Mr. Kimlat executes the move (which is what really sets him apart from everyone else), The RRC is a must. There will be many redundancies, but there are enough differences to make it money well spent to further your education.

With The CF, you have a BA degree.

To get your Masters, get The RRC.

I hope that answers the question.

Dustin

PickaCard

Re: Dustin Stinett's review of The Roadrunner Cull - lacking important information

Postby PickaCard » February 26th, 2008, 5:41 pm

Thanks again!

Although next time, to save us some money, please review the "better" product first! ;)

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 26th, 2008, 6:01 pm

I wish I had received both at the same time, but I received "The CF" a couple of months (or more) before "The RRC." That's just the way it goes sometimes.

Dustin

Marc Rehula

Postby Marc Rehula » February 28th, 2008, 6:57 am

The Cull Father is an excellent DVD, teaching the versatile moves very clearly.

Months later, after watching clips of The Roadrunner Cull, I decided to buy it as well. As excellent as The Cull Father is, The Roadrunner Cull is even better. Much of its value, as Dustin mentions, is in the performances. Even burning his hands, I can't tell that he's culling half the deck! I know what he's doing, but I can't believe that he's doing it so quickly and cleanly. Yikes!

I wish it was a common trend to not only offer 'real' performances of the routines, but also to offer multiple performances of the same routine, as Kimlat does. The Roadrunner Cull offers much on the nature of performing, as well as Kimlat excellent and thorough teaching his specialty.

It's too bad that both DVD's arrived in the same year, since they both offer much for the magic community. That said, if you can only afford one, I think The Roadrunner Cull has more to offer.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » February 28th, 2008, 12:13 pm

I read the review and was glad to see that there was no claim that the Roadrunner Cull represented anything new in terms of method (it doesn't with the exception of minor handling tips that most serious practitioners discover for themselves).
But that's not the impression you get if you visit the Cafe. Clearly 99% of the people over there don't even know who Johann Nepomuk was. I suppose that's what happens when you rename an existing move.

As to Dustin's comments that Kostya is the star at doing this move at speed, I have to say that Kimlat's not alone in having excellent facility. Tony Picasso and Denis Behr are just two names amongst half a dozen or more who nail this technique at tremendous speed.

Return to “Columns”