David Acer channels Eugene Burger

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.
Jeff Haas

David Acer channels Eugene Burger

Postby Jeff Haas » November 13th, 2003, 11:29 pm

I like the trick David Acer offers this month (December) in Genii, "Postcards from the Dead." The combination of Out To Lunch and Glorpy has always been good...

What puzzles me is that this is pretty much the same trick that Eugene Burger describes as "Seance" in Secrets and Mysteries for the Closeup Entertainer, 1982, which was later reprinted as part of Mastering The Art of Magic by...Richard Kaufman.

Not only that, but a variation of the trick was described by Eugene Burger in a later book, Spirit Theater, 1986, published by...Kaufman and Greenberg.

As far as I can tell, Acer has changed two things: He uses postcards instead of business cards or 3x5 cards, and he doesn't put a pen under the Glorpy.

I realize that this is a variation of a trick from Natural Selections II, which came out in 2000. How was this trick not credited to Eugene?

Jeff

Re: David Acer channels Eugene Burger

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2003, 9:52 am

Ah ha! I knew it! All of David Acer's contributions to date have been intended merely to lull us into a false sense of security. Now he begins his rampage of pillaging.

And to think... I supported him. I feel so abused.

I'm going to play the "Acer Whacker" game... but this time, I'll mean it!

-Ryan Pilling

P.S. There is a chance that it was simply unknowing boo-boo on his part... but this being an internet forum I am obligated to take a strong viepoint, lacking actual facts, and then stubbornly stick to it.

Postby Guest » November 14th, 2003, 10:40 am

Good point, Jeff. Pointless post, Ryan. I'd guess D. Acer will respond at some point and make a pointed post.

--Randy Campbell

David Acer

Postby David Acer » November 14th, 2003, 4:10 pm

Hi Jeff,

Bummer. I didn't know about Eugene's trick. I likely would have submitted "Postcards From The Dead" to Genii anyway, because I like the presentational aspects of the routine, but I CERTAINLY would have credited Eugene.

However (and I know I'm going to get in trouble for this, but...), I think an editor should e-mail a columnist when he has submitted a trick that overlaps with a routine by another columnist that was included in a book published by the aforementioned editor... That way neither the editor nor the columnist have to eat crow later on when some astute reader discovers the trangression.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » November 14th, 2003, 4:47 pm

Yeah David, but doesn't that assume that magic editors know about magic credits/history?

Andy

Steve V

Postby Steve V » November 14th, 2003, 7:08 pm

Andy is on fire baby! Andy, what'cha doing back in the UK? Mr. Acer, and I use that term only cuz I like the way Acer looks in print, I believe you didn't realize it was very simular to Eugene's routine. That may not count for much, but a cyber hug is better than no hug at all.
Steve V
Steve V

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » November 14th, 2003, 7:59 pm

While we're on the subject of out to lunch, I came up with this little bit while working on an item for the Reality Twister book. I can't believe it's original, but if you don't know it and you do a trick using OTL, you'll definitely want to give it a try.

Take a piece of double-stick tape and put it along the cut edge of the gaff. (Actually, put it on before you cut the gaff, then cut the tape in half, so it's thinner.)

Now the rubber band will hold the half-card in place securely, so there's no chance the gaff will slip out during performance.

Steve V

Postby Steve V » November 14th, 2003, 10:33 pm

Thank you...that's a very good idea, one of those "why didn't I think of that?" type things.
Steve V
Steve V

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » November 15th, 2003, 1:18 am

David,

Oh well, things like this happen. It's just that Seance is such a distinctive routine of Eugene's, I figured that someone involved would've remembered it.

It's not like you came up with some Elmsley/Half-Pass/Palm Shift that was a minor variation of some other weird card move.

Jeff

P.S. I saw Steve Banachek use a Glorpy to reveal a previously thought-of word on a "Unscrewed" on TechTV a couple of months back.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » November 15th, 2003, 9:26 am

Pete, great idea with the double-sided tape. You may want to publish that somewhere, but first, be sure to thumb through all Eugene Burger's old books to make sure it isn't there.

Steve V, thanks for the vote of trust. As I said, however, I likely still would have submitted Postcards (the routines aren't identical, at least not from a presentational point of view), though Eugene's effect would have been cited right off the top.

Andy, Richard Kaufman has been steeped in magic all day every day for the past 25 years. He lives it, breathes it, eats it, sleeps with it, wakes up with it and (apologies to his wife), goes to bed with it. He has influenced the field in ways that will be felt for decades to come. If he misses a credit, it ain't for a lack of trying.

IanB

Postby IanB » October 1st, 2005, 4:28 am

(a highly timely response........)

Isn't the original Maven's The Spirit is Willing (to Write) from the Blue Book in 76.

Ian

David Acer

Postby David Acer » October 1st, 2005, 8:27 pm

Richard published a crediting amendment an issue or two after this trick ran - I believe both Eugene and Max were cited, though I don't think Richard mentioned the Blue Book specifically.

Return to “Columns”