Matthew Field: Master of the Obscure

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.
Curtis Kam

Matthew Field: Master of the Obscure

Postby Curtis Kam » November 8th, 2002, 12:39 pm

I have always had a great deal of respect for the breadth of Matthew Field's knowledge regarding magic and videos, but I must admit that I was still awed by the missing credit he provided in his recent review of Larry Jennings' "Thoughts on Cards". The fact that Mr. Field was able to identify my relatively obscure handling of "Cannibal Cards" as an inspiration for one of Larry's routines frankly astounded me. I am now convinced that he must indeed know everything.

Lest anyone fret, I have no desire to slight Larry's memory in any way. I have never seen the tape, but I was happy to suspect that Larry might have found something of mine interesting enough to fiddle with. Thanks to Matthew Field's insight, I have this pleasant suspicion confirmed.

Now, Matthew, how does Kenner vanish the last coin in "Threefly?"

Re: Matthew Field: Master of the Obscure

Postby Guest » November 8th, 2002, 1:08 pm

Originally posted by Curtis Kam:
Now, Matthew, how does Kenner vanish the last coin in "Threefly?"
Thats easy - by magic.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 9th, 2002, 7:57 am

Curtis -- Many thanks for the ego inflation.

However . . .

I think this particular credit was supplied by a certain Mr. Kaufman, who edits my material (as I do his).

I do, however, take a certain delight in providing information and resources in my video reviews for those who, like myself, are always searching.

Matt Field

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 9th, 2002, 1:40 pm

Curtis, We were pretty embarrassed when Larry put that trick on his tape with no credit. As I recall, several people either remembered you showing it to him, or recalled his reading your lecture notes, or something to that effect. Can you recall how he learned of your idea?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » November 9th, 2002, 7:55 pm

Larry and B.J. were our guests for the second "Hawaii Wonderworker's Workshop" back in March of...I'm not sure when. Based upon some sort of crazy idea that we were going to make a whole lot of money putting on a magic convention, Glen Bailey and I brought in not only Larry and his wife, and Roger Klause and his, but also Tommy Wonder from almost exactly half way around the world.

The pounding my checking account took as a result of our dingbat profit projections was more than made up for by the hours Larry spent with the guys. He did a lecture, an intensive workshop, and when they finally closed the room after his workshop, he continued on into the morning out in the hall. The dedicated who were lucky enough to be a part of this one-sided session never forgot it.

The next afternoon found me in Larry's hotel room, and we kicked around a few ideas. I showed him the "Cannibal Cards" handling I was doing. He seemed to like it, but we went on to other things.

That's the story. For the record, I've had the chance to see the routine on "Thoughts on Cards" and it differs quite a bit from what I did. I didn't even use the Sankey count.

Thanks for the chance to revisit what was "the best of times (magically) and the worst of times (financially)". BTW, as a testament to the uncanny business sense we magicians are blessed with, we went on to do the convention for five more years.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 9th, 2002, 9:38 pm

Curtis, it's too bad you're no longer willing to throw good money after bad: I've always wanted to visit Hawaii! :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Columns”