Rick Johnsson

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.

Rick Johnsson

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2004, 6:42 am

Where can i get my hands on Rick Johnsson's old effects? :confused:

Re: Rick Johnsson

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2004, 10:20 am

He wrote a book in the 70's called 'Practical Impossibilities', which you might find at some of the dealers who specialize in old books (some real cool stuff in there on his handling of Marlo's Eidectic Change)and you might catch a few sets of his various lecture notes there as well. Failing that, your best bet (and IMHO some of his best material)is his old 'Come A Little Closer' column in Linking Ring. Pop for the CD-Rom version of LR because he did a ton of those columns in the 70's and 80's. He also did a couple of one-man parades in LR during the 70's, too, that boasted some stellar stuff. I did his no-sleight card in mouth from one of the parades for years and years. I was, needless to say, a big fan and would venture to say that my early exposure to a stack of LRs containing his column shaped my thinking (in that close-up need not be confined to coins and cards but rather any odd toy, container or other piece of whimsy one might find at the dime store)forever. Plus, he made me laugh my ass off. Happy hunting; it's well worth it.

Excelsior!!!

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » December 30th, 2004, 10:40 am

One of the best rising card and stretching card effects I've ever seen can be found in his lecture notes with a bunch of HELP! from his friends.

Same "gaffus" for both the stretching card (which can be SIGNED!) and the rising card.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » January 7th, 2005, 6:34 am

Someone's got Practical Impossibilities on eBay now as part of a lot of 4 books.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 49878&rd=1

-Jim

Fredrick
Favorite Magician: Eugene Burger

Postby Fredrick » January 27th, 2005, 1:29 pm

Rick had a wonderful column in the Linking Ring for years in the 70-80's until his untimely death. I seem to remember Phil Wilmarth was going to publish an anthology of the columns, but it never came to light.

Rick also published a few sets of notes. Usually in bizarre colors to discourage photocopies.

~ fredrick
"Try to find the humanity in the magic..." ~ Michael Moschen
The Jinx Companion

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » January 27th, 2005, 9:56 pm

I'll sell my signed copy of PRACTICAL IMPOSSIBILITIES, which is in Very Good condition, including the attached cardboard book stand, for $45. postpaid in the US.

Steve H

Return to “Columns”