Dingle video review deceptive

Discuss the views of your favorite Genii columnists.

Dingle video review deceptive

Postby Guest » April 16th, 2006, 9:27 am

I thought this was put to rest long ago.
Dingle got the pick up move from me.
I showed it to him at a Columbus Magi Fest long ago.

I can understand when there are in betweens involved and so and so said to so and so.

But look man, I was eyeball to eyeball with him.
I showed him the move. A year later he said he was publishing it in his book along with my whole blinking routine. The book was not published yet. He said he would fix it. Well he said some back awkward comments.

Please, is there anyone out there that has a bit of decency?

Al Schneider

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Dingle video review deceptive

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 16th, 2006, 11:19 am

Mr. Schneider,

This is the first time Ive ever heard that story from anyone. What I had always heard, from several sources (but not Mr. Dingle), was that he came up with it independently. Had I known your side of the story, I never would have printed what I did in the review. I will make sure that there is a correction in my next column (July). You have my sincere apologies.

Best,
Dustin

Postby Guest » April 16th, 2006, 11:22 am

Dear Sir:

Thank you very much for these very kind words.

I look forward to meeting you sometime at a convention and sharing a beer.

Al Schneider

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 16th, 2006, 11:56 am

That is a pleasure to which I look forward; thank you. And please call me Dustin. (When I hear sir or Mister and I turn, hoping to see my father!)

We have met, though I would not expect you to remember. I have told this story before, but I will tell it for the benefit of those reading now, so they may understand better the type of man you are.

It was before Al Schneider on Close-up was published. We were both attending a convention here on the West Coast (though I cannot recall which one; probably a PCAM). You had a very small table in the dealers room. There was a simple sign with your name on it and a close-up pad; thats it.

I approached you and asked about a particular move in Al Schneider on Coins and for the next half hour you worked with me on the move, making sure I had a complete understanding of it; timing, execution, etc. During that time, other people would approach the table, but not wanting to interrupt, theyd leave. After all, there was nothing on your table for sale.

After this free lesson, I was about to leave when you asked if I would like to see some magic. Well of course I would! You began performing some incredible magic, such as producing four coins from two playing cards, and several wonderful pieces. I asked about them and you simply said, Theyre from my new book. Im here taking orders for it.

Needless to say, my name was on the buyers list before we finally parted company.

The point is, for the other readers here, that Mr. Schneider took time away from his sales to help me, just some guy at a convention, when he easily could have interrupted my free lesson to try and sell his book to the other people that wandered by.

That was better than 20-years ago. I have never forgotten this kindness and I never will.

Dustin

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 16th, 2006, 1:31 pm

I think I might have dealt with this in the memorial issue for Derek we did in Genii. Every great once in a while, whether it was because he was drunk or whatever, Dingle would pinch something that belonged to someone else. In addition to the Pickup Move, which was Al's, Derek also pinched Daryl's Trimph Cutting Sequence. When I did Derek's book I took his word for these things, but in retrospect he was wrong.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » January 19th, 2007, 2:11 pm

Richard,

You are correct, you did deal with the crediting issue in the Dingle article. I distinctly remember you saying the pick up move was the sole creation of Al Schnieder, and no credit should have been bestowed upon Mr. Dingle.

When I read it, I almost called Al to tell him the record has finally been set straight in print. (And it happened in Genii Magazine, by the man who put the Dingle book together, no less!)

When I saw this thread I kicked myself for not following through with that phone call.

T

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 19th, 2007, 3:12 pm

Just happened to see this post. Interesting. I'm not sure, because, believe it or not, I don't have a copy, but I may have mentioned in my book, DINGLE'S DECEPTIONS, the very first book about Derek, that the move was "also" Al Schneider's. I honestly don't know. But, I'm not surprised. Not Richard's fault, but he included my Flying Ace move exactly from one of my books in his Dingle book - because Derek I'm sure told him he had changed the handling. It wasn't changed at all. And, I won't go into the fact that Derek claimed to have shown me my HaLo Cut. ABSOLUTELY untrue. Richard and I have gone through this before. Not important any more, but apropos to this post. Unfortunately, it's one of the things Derek did. When he showed me the pick-up move so many years ago, Al, he definitely told me that it was his. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 19th, 2007, 3:50 pm

I recall hearing that Dingle got the move from Ross Bertram when he was living in Toronto, but I really have no idea if this is true.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 19th, 2007, 8:13 pm

There's no question that Derek was shown the move by Al Schneider. Al can name the time, day, and location. No one ever saw Dingle do the move before that.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » January 20th, 2007, 8:08 am

Originally posted by Harry Lorayne:
[QB] I'm not sure, because, believe it or not, I don't have a copy, but I may have mentioned in my book, DINGLE'S DECEPTIONS, the very first book about Derek, that the move was "also" Al Schneider's. I honestly don't know.[QB]
Just for the records, I looked through my copy of Dingle's Deceptions and did not see Al mentioned anywhere.

(Thomas is correct below. Al is mentioned in the book's final afterthoughts)
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Postby Guest » January 20th, 2007, 1:55 pm

Harry Lorayne is correct. He mentions Al Schneider similarly on page 56 of Dingle's Deceptions - first edition.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 20th, 2007, 2:14 pm

Im not sure everyone comprehends the issue. There was never any question that Al Schnieder created the move. But Derek Dingle led many people to believemyself includedthat he created the move independent of Al. That, as Mr. Lorayne said, the move was Dereks and also Als. It was never also Dereks. It was always Als and Als alone since it was Al who showed the move to Derek.

Dustin

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 20th, 2007, 2:35 pm

Unfortunately, I've gone through some aggravating times because of Derek's intimating that something was his, or that he'd shown it to someone FIRST, etc., when it wasn't and he hadn't. Nature of the beast. HARRY LORAYNE.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 20th, 2007, 2:37 pm

I've gone through a couple of aggravating times because of Derek intimating that something was his or that he'd shown it to someone FIRST when it wasn't and he hadn't. Nature of the beast. HARRY LORAYNE.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 20th, 2007, 2:39 pm

Boy! I must have felt really strong about this - my reply came up TWICE. HL

Return to “Columns”