Splittant

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Pete McCabe

Splittant

Postby Pete McCabe » July 20th, 2002, 11:19 pm

You don't need a duplicate two of hearts to resolve the mismatching suits problem. Just splittthe four of hearts into the three of hearts and the ace of hearts.

I've been playing around with this and found that instead of doing Flippant, you can grab the face up four (while palming the Ace, say) and pretend to rip the ace out of it, turning it over in the process.

I realize if you eliminate the Flippant move, you'll have to change the name of the trick. But the result is easier to do, and the ripping action is very organic to the presentation. Just for those of us who want to try the effect but haven't yet mastered flippant.

David Acer

Re: Splittant

Postby David Acer » July 21st, 2002, 2:14 pm

Heres a fun version of Splittant I've been doing a lot lately, though it did not appear in the column or on Roadkillers.

SPLITTANT JR.

All you need is a miniature Two of Clubs in your right jacket pocket. Have a Six of Clubs and a Four of Clubs in that order on top of the deck. Cut the pack, hold a break at the cut, then Riffle Force the Six of Clubs. Have the spectator remove the force-card from the deck to look at it, as you cut the Four of Clubs back to the top and square the pack into left-hand dealing position. Turn away to give the spectator an opportunity to show his card around, as you dip your right hand into your right jacket pocket and steal out the mini card, fingerpalming it face outwards.

Turn back towards the spectator and have him place his card face up on top of the pack. Get a left pinky break under the second card from the top and carry out Splittant, apparently plucking a miniature Two of Clubs from the very heart of the Six of Clubs, leaving a Four of Clubs in its wake!
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » July 24th, 2002, 12:06 am

This is so obvious I'm sure it was only left out of the write up for space reasons. But I thought those interested in this trick -- a group which based on this vibrant thread doesn't even include Richard Sanders -- might want to hear it.

Force a card -- say the 4 of clubs -- and let the spectator shuffle it into the deck. Take the deck and look through it, under the guise of finding the spectator's card. Move a bunch of cards around, pretending to consider them, etc., but really getting the ten of clubs to the top, the six of clubs second from top, and the four on the bottom.

Say you're done, and hold the deck face down.

Turn over the top card and ask the spectator if their card is the ten of clubs. They'll say no.

Ask them what card they did select. They say the four of clubs.

Say, well, I've got four clubs here. I just need to get them on their own card.

Now do Splittant, pulling the selected four of clubs from the ten, which turns into -- what else -- the six.

Without changing any of the handling, I think this presentation adds just a bit more meaning to this fine trick that all of David and I are talking about.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » July 27th, 2002, 12:25 pm

(insert sound of blowing wind)
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » July 27th, 2002, 1:30 pm

Or for a laugh, you could split the seven of clubs into two three and a halves. :rolleyes:

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » July 27th, 2002, 5:09 pm

At last! This thread is finally starting to take off.

Sean Piper

Postby Sean Piper » July 27th, 2002, 5:56 pm

Another effect I've been working on for a while (different method) would work nicely with the Splittant technique. It's almost identical to the variation Peter described above, except that I force the Four of Clubs on first spectator, and Six of Clubs on the second.

Set up for Splittant with the Ten of Clubs displayed on top of the deck. Seem confused that the Ten isn't either of the selected cards, then point out the mistake, splitting the Ten into the Four and Six.

It plays really well, and you get two spectators roped into one trick which is nice!

Return to “Magicana”