Anti-faro

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.

Anti-faro

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2005, 1:01 am

Can anyone help me out on this? Recently saw a video of the anti-faor and could not believe it was done from a squared deck. I later learned it was in a past issue of Genii, which as luck would have it, is no longer available.
Is there another source?

Jacky Kahan

Re: Anti-faro

Postby Jacky Kahan » May 13th, 2005, 4:02 am

check out Paul Wilson site :
OMERTA

Seventeen baffling effects that break the code of silence! A collection of effects to fool magicians and work miracles in the real world. Create a stir anywhere with a simple piece of paper, vanish a silk and baffle the experts, Paul's Copper/Silver, impossible locations, entertaining gambling routines and much, much more. Includes Paul's Anti-Faro effect, for those who have put in the time on this esoteric sleight.

Jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2005, 8:04 am

Actually I just brought that from Wilson, which prompted the original post. He does not explain the sleight.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 13th, 2005, 11:42 am

I'm not sure about this, but is the Anti-Faro the same as a reverse faro (where every second card is upjogged and the two sections pulled apart)?

There is also Harry Lorayne's Non-Faro Faro which is in one of his best books
(at least it's one of my favourites) QUANTUM LEAPS. Hank Moorehouse has a pile of these discounted at FFFF (check him out).

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 13th, 2005, 11:49 am

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2005, 12:21 pm

You're correct Bob and I did find the video. But for one of the few times in my shamefully long obessesion with magic, I can't figure out the work from the video. I had to be convinced he was performing it from a squared deck. I am now convinced but can't imagine the technique involved.

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2005, 12:24 pm

Let me just ask, is there anyone out there willing to sell me the 2001 issue of Genii that has this sleight? I'm starting to believe that issue contains the only discription of the anti-faro unless there are some lecture notes I didn't uncover in my Goggle.

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2005, 12:43 pm

The technique was invented by Christian Engblom, a master Finnish magician. You can contact him via email cengblom@welho.com

He is a very nice man so I am sure he will assist you any way he can.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 13th, 2005, 2:22 pm

Dan, I believe Genii sells back issues. What issue is it in?

Postby Guest » May 13th, 2005, 2:56 pm

No Bob, it is sold out. You can find it on May 2001 (Vol.64,No.5)issue.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » May 13th, 2005, 3:41 pm

Dan

Check with Ken, I gave him all my back issues!

He's got them sorted by years.

GO

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2005, 7:58 am

Hi, All

Out of curiosity, is the Anti-Faro a non-Faro faro? I mean, it is a false shuffle that has all the appearance of a Faro, however is unshuffled during a deceptive waterfall sound that undoes the weaving. I believe that in an old issue of Genii, a version was posed by Homer Liwag.

Enrico Varella

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 22nd, 2005, 8:15 am

No, it has nothing to do with Homer's false shuffle, which looks like a Faro Shuffle.
In the Anti-Faro you spring the cards from hand to hand from a very short distance and every other card jogs slightly. This allows you to strip out the jogged cards, and essentially reverses the action of a Faro Shuffle.
It requires an odd knack, and the only three people I've seen do it are Engblom, who created it, and Michael Weber and Paul Wilson.
Perhaps others who have mastered this technique can chime in!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 22nd, 2005, 9:26 am

If one is interested in this, Denis Behr has a demo of it posted on his web site.

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » May 23rd, 2005, 4:53 pm

Bob Farmer already posted that.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 23rd, 2005, 5:13 pm

Originally posted by Bill Palmer:
Bob Farmer already posted that.
Noted - In this redundant post referring to your redundant post referring to my redundant post. :)

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » July 19th, 2005, 9:09 am

I too have a version of the anti faro but different to the videoclip version. Its a tilt faro shuffle which looks very convincing. I have shown it to Greg Wilson, Garrett Thomas and other magicians. I know of Paul Wilson's excellent non-faro however I use different handling and the illusion created is extremely convincing. Paul's non-faro and my tilt faro are more than different from eachother. If you ever see me at a convention I would be happy to show it.

Angelo

Postby Guest » July 22nd, 2005, 4:44 am

Dani DaOrtiz and Christian Engblom have just relased a DVD !Que Raro! that teaches the Anti-Faro.

The DVD consists 4 tricks from each man. Mind you, none of the tricks require Anti-Faro. I have only viewed this once since I bought it last night friom DaOrtiz's lecture. I does look very promising, Christian is showing a wonderful Three Card Monte routine (a la Anderson if I remember correctly) and Dani DaOrtiz has a magnificent routine called the Magic Nine (hopefully this one is correct) where black cards change to reds as they touch the red magic nine that is tabled and vice versa.

After one view I cannot provide a good review but it does look very promising.

Temperance

Postby Temperance » July 22nd, 2005, 5:43 am

Originally posted by Angelo Carbone:
Paul's non-faro and my tilt faro are more than different from eachother. If you ever see me at a convention I would be happy to show it.

Angelo
Dr Sawa's original handling used a tilt. You might want to check it for differences, if you haven't already.

Euan

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » July 22nd, 2005, 9:37 pm

Originally posted by Pekka Ketonen:
Dani DaOrtiz and Christian Engblom have just relased a DVD !Que Raro! that teaches the Anti-Faro.
http://www.christianengblom.com/anti-faro.htm

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » July 25th, 2005, 7:21 pm

Hi Euan,

I have not read Dr Sawa's method but I have been told its very similar if not the same as mine. Oh well! Don't you hate that when it happens? Will check out his book.

Angelo

Postby Guest » August 12th, 2005, 10:09 pm

Originally posted by John Pezzullo:
Originally posted by Pekka Ketonen:
[b] Dani DaOrtiz and Christian Engblom have just relased a DVD !Que Raro! that teaches the Anti-Faro.
http://www.christianengblom.com/anti-faro.htm [/b]
The DVD says it's PAL. I thought that format was in regard to videotapes... will the DVD play in any region 1 player?

thanks,

-- Frank

Return to “Magicana”