Seeking a Genii citation

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.

Seeking a Genii citation

Postby Guest » December 17th, 2002, 9:29 am

I want to track down a flourishy trick that appeared in Genii - this could be 20 years ago, or more - for purposes of attribution. It is my hope that some kind soul with a good memory/index can point me in the right direction; if not, I'll slog through and hope I find it.

The item in question is a version of a Jumping Card: the selection flies out of a packet held in one hand, and is caught in the other. In this particular rendition, the jumper is on the top of the packet; the packet is gripped edgewise between the forefinger and pinkie, and the thumb presses the packet against the ring finger, flicking the top card up and out with a finger-snapping motion.

Any info would be appreciated, including other non-Genii references. Thanks!

Curtis Kam

Re: Seeking a Genii citation

Postby Curtis Kam » December 17th, 2002, 9:51 am

Sounds like a version of Audley Walsh's "Long Distance Spinner" I don't recognize the reference to Genii, but I learned the move from Tarbell, vol. 4.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » December 17th, 2002, 10:30 am

I agree with Curtis, this seems to be the Walsh Spin from Tarbell. It is also described on p. 527 of the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes as the "Long Thumb Propulsion." However, a distinction should be made between cards that "shoot out" and cards that SPIN out. The "Short Thumb Propulsion" from the book just cited is like the "Chinese Seconds" from the Vernon INNER SECRETS trilogy. THe card shoots out and takes one or two spins as it lands on the TABLE. There are also the Pinky aqnd Index Finger propulsions which are straight away flat or hand-to-hand shoot outs.

Neal Elias had one in Ibidem that is rarely seen or used. It is a hand-to-hand shoot out.

Onward...

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 18th, 2002, 7:18 am

I believe that Jumping Card move is in one of Jeff McBride's "Card Manipulation" videos. The mechanics you describe matches McBride's handling. The card does spin as it flies up into the other hand.

Postby Guest » December 18th, 2002, 1:09 pm

Yes, it is the Audley Walsh card spinner...although you are correct, it did appear in Genii in an issue dedicated to Joe Cossari, unfortunately I can't remember the issue as I am not that old ;) ....but if I'm not mistaken, he scaled the cards from his right hand and into a hat.

Mike

Linds

Postby Linds » January 14th, 2003, 9:41 pm

It's on page 605 of the September 1979 issue. The article is an extract from Joe's Lecture Notes and was written up by John Fedko.

I know - I should get a life! :rolleyes:

Linds

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » January 15th, 2003, 6:25 am

A serious (and somewhat difficult) question and five serious, and helpful, responses.

Is this Forum great, or what?

Matt Field

Return to “Magicana”