Credit Question for an Upcoming Magicana

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Credit Question for an Upcoming Magicana

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 12th, 2007, 9:29 pm

I'm trying to track down the name of the originator of the flourish where you insert a card into the center of the deck, leaving it outjogged about halfway. The left first fingertip is pressed up beneath the card to provide a pivot point, and then the right second finger is able to spin the card around while it's protruding from the deck.
Matt Corin?
Steve Freeman?
I'd appreciate a rapid response if possible.
Thanks.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Re: Credit Question for an Upcoming Magicana

Postby NCMarsh » April 12th, 2007, 9:35 pm

Jacob Daley, "The Itinerant Pasteboards" Stars of Magic.

From Page 110:

...the Queen of Club is rotated clockwise as in Fig. 6 (view from underneath), and the rotation is continued until it has been completely turned end for end.
The illustration pretty clearly shows the flourish in question (and this is the citation given by Roberto Giobbi in describing Steve Freeman's "The Time Machine" in Card College 3.

Best,

N.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 12th, 2007, 10:04 pm

Thank you much!

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2007, 12:06 am

Didn't I read somewhere (possibly in the Vernon Chronicles) that this was something Vernon made up as a supposed top secret "insider" move to have a joke on the kids who would try to eavesdrop when he showed stuff to friends in one of the New York magic shops?

EDIT: Vernon Chronicles, Vol. 4, page 83. It seems to be the same as the Jacob Daley move in Stars of Magic.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 13th, 2007, 8:09 am

Thank you, again!

Postby Guest » April 13th, 2007, 5:00 pm

Many years ago, Faucett Ross showed me how you could rotate a double card as a single this way. I don't recall him mentioning who this belonged to.

I came up with a color change where the card changes as it rotates, gripping the top card of the two in a Tenkai palm. It was one of the first things I ever came up with.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » April 15th, 2007, 10:38 am

John reminded me - decades ago, somewhere, I published a change by Vic Sendax (my dentist!) as the protruding card swiveled around. No palm necessary. Just insert a double for goodness sake - you can figure it from there, no? HARRY LORAYNE.

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2007, 10:53 am

This seems to be (also?!) Jerry Andrus' Swivel Change in Andrus Deals you In which he published in 1956 and republished 1978, page 18.

Anthony Brahams

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2007, 10:56 am

Hello again! Did Victor Sendax publish it in Hugard's Magic Monthly?

David Acer

Postby David Acer » April 15th, 2007, 11:01 am

I read Victor Sendax's move in the February 1984 issue M.U.M., but it's not the same as the technique Richard is researching. In Victor's move, the face-down, outjogged card is openly revolved around the deck (thus it becomes right-jogged, then injogged, then left-jogged, then outjogged). It's essentially a flourish to precede a change.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 15th, 2007, 12:29 pm

The thing I was researching is definitely the Vernon idea mentioned in The Vernon Chronicles and later used by Daley in his effect in Stars of Magic.

It's interesting that Vernon belittles the flourish in The Chronicles, yet both Doc Daley and Steve Freeman thought enough of it to use it in effects! Wonder what Vernon thought of that.

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2007, 1:48 pm

While we're at it, Ken Krenzel has two versions of the Victor Sendax change in "Ingenuities", called Around the World in Several Ways, in which the card is revolved around the deck as described above - except that it's face up instead of face down. The reference given for the original Sendax change is Hugard's Magic Monthly, Vol. X, No. 6, page 1007.

In the Jerry Andrus change from "Andrus Deals You In" the card does not go right around the deck - it's just rotated to a perpendicular position.

Return to “Magicana”