Masuda's Two Card Mysteries

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.

Masuda's Two Card Mysteries

Postby Guest » February 2nd, 2007, 1:20 pm

There is much discussion on the internet regarding Katsuya Masuda's WOW trick. It's clever but pricey but the real diamond is his "Two Card Mysteries" trick at $30. This is one of those rare effects where the effect is outstanding and the method is even better. Take's a little while to get the knack but I found myself enjoying every minute because the method is devilish. Take a look two card
Arnie

Re: Masuda's Two Card Mysteries

Postby Guest » February 2nd, 2007, 5:09 pm

That was great!

Postby Guest » February 3rd, 2007, 1:34 am

Wow, that looks great! My concern/question is, are the cards examinable, or are you stuck with odd looking gimmicks that defy any feasible explanation to the spectator? (as in "WOW", for example)

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » February 3rd, 2007, 2:05 am

This is a damn clever trick that I purchsed some years ago. It went into a drawer. I extracted it to present to the small group assembled at John Derris's home last Sunday.

Why is it in the drawer? No practical way to carry it around when it's "set" (IMHO) or to quickly set it to perform in the real world.

Maybe someone can enlighten me.

This is not to put down Masuda, whose work I really enjoy.

By the way, at that same meeting I displayed the worst trick I've ever bought -- "Pocket Levitator" by Andrew Mayne.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » February 3rd, 2007, 8:02 am

TSG,

If you perform it correctly--the two cards(that's all there are)are examinable. That's what makes it interesting. See link below to MJM magic where product is described in detail:

MJM Magic--2 card Mysteries

Matt,
I carry it in an empty card box and remove it in front of the specs that way--so far no problems.Your're right and they should have put some solutions to that problem in the instructions.

Now to investigate "pocket levitation" to see what that's about--Hummmm!

Arnie

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 3rd, 2007, 8:41 am

The "Two Card Mystery" is a great idea, but it doesn't make for a good trick. It's too odd, and it's waiting for someone really clever to take the idea and turn it into a great trick.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » February 3rd, 2007, 1:33 pm

Thank you Arnie. I appreciate that.

Postby Guest » February 3rd, 2007, 1:47 pm

It is odd in the sense that one card is transfering it's back design to another and vice versa but I don't think that excludes it from being a good trick. Perhaps no more odd than the Eardanse color change.
I do think the method can be used in another venue entirely and become a powerhouse of an effect. Now if I can just apply it to the card thru window illusion. Hummmm.

Return to “Magicana”