Anti-Faro

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Ryan Matney

Anti-Faro

Postby Ryan Matney » July 22nd, 2001, 4:28 pm

Ok,
I just wanna know if anyone is actually doing this now and what kind of problems you are having and how long it took you to get it down. General Anti-faro info.
Best,
Ryan
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Anti-Faro

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 22nd, 2001, 4:48 pm

I know of three people who perform the Anti-Faro well enough to use it, and have effects for it: Christian Engblom, Paul Wilson (I keep meaning to publish his routine in Genii), and Michael Weber.
If anyone else out there is having success, let us hear about it! :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2001, 9:23 pm

I have messed around with the Anti Faro for about a year now, and can get it about 80-90% but have to make adjustments to fix it. I gave up practicing it though, because i feel its not practical for laymen... its a great thing to show other magis, but there are better things to practice to amaze people. like Christian said at his lecture he recommends a stripper deck to acheive the effect to non magis

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 25th, 2001, 9:51 pm

I heard through the grapevine that David Blaine was doing the anti-faro just before it was published. Can anyone confirm?
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Postby Guest » July 26th, 2001, 6:17 pm

yes Ryan Blaine was doing the anti faro before it was in Genii... but only because he hangs out with Bill Kalush who taught it to him.

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » July 27th, 2001, 8:05 am

I honestly find it difficult to believe that a guy who cannot do a double lift of any sense take the time to learn a move like the anti-faro... :eek:

Richard Tremblay

P.S. Don't take this as an attack against David Blaine because I think that he do a great job at promoting magic. I'm only questionning his technical skill.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 27th, 2001, 11:49 am

I believe that while David Blaine did a lousy Double Lift when he taped his first TV special, in the intervening years he has learned to handle basic card moves in a more convincing manner.
However, that really has nothing to do with The Anti-Faro. This unique move is not really skill-dependent like a Double Lift. It is an acquired knack, sort of like The Faro Shuffle. Have you ever noticed that there seem to be a group of guys who don't do heavy card work, yet they've mastered the Faro?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » July 27th, 2001, 1:51 pm

When I was 12 years old, I wanted to be able to juggle 5 balls, ride a unicycle, and perform front and back palming with cards, do a Pressure Fan, scale-and-catch cards, and do difficult card flourishes. It was the skill-factor that challenged me, not the tricks. If the Anti-Faro had been around in 1952, I would have "dogged" it until I could do it.

Would I show anyone?
I doubt it. :eek:

Return to “Magicana”