A Loaded Question for the Readers of Genii

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

A Loaded Question for the Readers of Genii

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 8th, 2002, 5:56 pm

I would like to hear from as many of you as possible, HUNDREDS of you if possible, exactly what kind of magic magic you would like to see in "Magicana" in the future. And, please tell me the columnists in "Magicana" you like.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Re: A Loaded Question for the Readers of Genii

Postby Guest » June 8th, 2002, 7:34 pm

I would love a taste of Jennings Takes It Easy just to tide me over. I liked the Kling Klang section not because I love Kling Klang but because it showed the approach of many magicians. Also it would be nice if you could reprint “The Magic Way” and “The Five Points in Magic” in their entirety because they are kinda hard to find. I like Joshua Jay's idea of “ExpertTalk” in Magic Magazine but it would be nice if you guys did that but in a little bit more depth and (not to insult Josh Jay he has undertaken an extremely difficult job) a better overall job with the idea. But I love Magicana as it is.

Postby Guest » June 8th, 2002, 9:37 pm

I like it the way it is, but if I were to add anything, I'd like to see more stage tricks. Not "manipulation" sequences, and not illusions. stage stuff like Steinmeyer had in Magic Magazine.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » June 8th, 2002, 10:45 pm

What I'd like to see is magicians explaining their personal variations of classic effects.

For example, I'm sure there are dozens of great magicians who do their own unique handling for Triumph. It would be great to see one such magician present his own handling and explain why he changed it from the original.

From this, I would hope to learn:
1) How the magician went about adapting the trick to their own style.
2) How the performer varied the standard presentation to suit their character.
3) Little handling tips the magician added to the original.
4) A great handling of triumph.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » June 8th, 2002, 11:24 pm

Columnists that I like are The Jennings tapes, and the Phil Goldstein column. I like Roy Walton's contributions a lot as well.

I'm not really big on reading multiple methods for one effect at a time. No matter the type.

I liked the idea of reprinting an old, less familar trick ever so often. (The Al baker column would be great.)

I agree with John, I would enjoy reading more stand up/stage effects or routines.

Overall, I think Magicana has been more different than a lot of magizines that have the same old type of stuff.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Brisbin

Postby Brisbin » June 9th, 2002, 12:36 am

I wish someone would channel for Charlie Miller, Charlie Miller, Charlie Miller. I love the material in Magicana generally. I also remember the late C.E.M. on his soapbox about bad card tricks and "so-called improvements." Is there a way to capture the editorial wisdom of a veteran pro, while presenting the solid routines of our best magicians? If so, I think it would be much more interesting than reading about the latest flourishes from less experienced (younger)performers and writers. It takes time to develop as performers, writers, and as human beings. Some people never do.
"No Dough, No Show" - Stan Kramien
"What the mind harbors, the body manifests." - Tohei Koichi

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 9th, 2002, 3:35 pm

Fewer card tricks :)

RK; You have asked the impossible question, and will get hundreds (or three) different answers. You can't please all the people etc, but I applaud your initiative to find out what we want.

I know I'm in the minority, but I really don't need or want another involved card miracle that needs half a table and a full deck stack. The Minotaur was interesting when it claimed to have half non card stuff. Would it be improper for me to ask for, nay demand several workable real world effects with everyday objects in each and every issue of Genii? I pay good money each month for your magazine, and if you fail to address this matter in the utmost haste I will have to consider cancelling my standing order.

And then where will you be, eh?

Oh.

Right you are, card tricks it is then. Golden rule and all that. No problemo.

I'll shut up now.

Ian

Alain Roy

Postby Alain Roy » June 9th, 2002, 5:16 pm

Actually, I don't read Genii for the Magicana. It's a nice addition, but I generally read it for the longer articles.

The Magicana I've most enjoyed are the ones that are in the context of a larger article such Lorayne, Hamman, King, etc. The article talks in depth about the performer, then it follows up with some of his effects. This allows us to see various sides of the performer. In this conteext, it's not important to me if it's cards, coins, stage illusions, mentalism, or whatever.

If you ever do an issue about me, can we print some of my favorite recipes too?

-alain, who is unlikely to ever be written up in any magic magazine.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 9th, 2002, 5:22 pm

Ian, hahahah, very funny indeed.
I brought Barrie Richardson on board to provide mentalism, and in his case the routines are often suitable for standup group use. Phil Goldstein will also be providing more mentalism than in the past for Genii (as opposed to card tricks).
I have lots of coin tricks that have been contributed, but it's hard to find the time to write them up. I find myself relying slightly more on columnists than I'd like to, but I only have so much time available. That said, I'm very pleased by the work James Swain, David Acer, and Al Schneider, et al, do for Genii. I would also like to print material of the type Jim Steinmeyer put in his "Conjuring" column in MAGIC, however he seems to be the only person consistently coming up with that style of material these days. If anyone knows of someone out there inventing that kind of stuff--let me know!
Please keep the responses coming.

David Penn

Postby David Penn » June 9th, 2002, 6:08 pm

All cards all the time. If you can't do cards all the time then anything close-up other than coins. No platform, no stage.

Postby Guest » June 9th, 2002, 8:29 pm

Yea, D.Penn we would not want to learn something difficult and impressive like coin magic whould we?

Postby Guest » June 9th, 2002, 9:47 pm

I would like to see practical Bizarre stuff from people like Rick Maue, Gene Poinc, Tony Andruzzi, and others.

EdAndres

Postby EdAndres » June 9th, 2002, 10:52 pm

I very much enjoy "Magicana" :genii: .I would like to see a little Geoff Latta stuff! Barring that I guess maybe a little rope magic (not anything with the little extra piece ala Sandsational).

Maybe an occasional story/interview with someone talking about one of his/her favorite creations and include some variations (like maybe Paul Harris or Dave!)

ed

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » June 9th, 2002, 11:31 pm

Effects that are oriented for lay audiences in real world performing conditions -- and not just derivative/personalized variations that appeal primarily to magicians. In addition, more stand-up effects would be terrific.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » June 10th, 2002, 3:48 am

I would also like to print material of the type Jim Steinmeyer put in his "Conjuring" column in MAGIC, however he seems to be the only person consistently coming up with that style of material
these days. If anyone knows of someone out there inventing that kind of stuff--let me know!
Richard,

I'd also like to see more stand-up/parlour material published in 'Magicana' although understand that this type of material isn't easy to come by.

In another thread I wrote about Magic Christian. He had some great stand-up material in his stage lecture. It may be worth contacting him and solicitng a contribution.

In fact, soliciting contributions from around the world is a good way to go. Simply spread the word globally that 'Genii' magazine is looking to publish this type of material. I'd love to see the ideas and effects of magicians from all around the world - France, Germany, Austria, England, Japan, Sweden, Scotland, Portugal, Ireland, Hungary, The Netherlands, Spain, Argentina, Australia, etc.

I also don't think that it's absolutely necessary for every effect that's published to be a 'finished' piece of magic. Works in progress and 'little ideas' are sutiable for publication in my opinion. These half-developed ideas and routines can often lead others into interesting places.

Even if there were no tricks published in "Genii" I wouldn't care. An issue of "Genii" without any tricks would still be a great read.

Jim Morton

Postby Jim Morton » June 10th, 2002, 9:16 am

Since I love con games, any time you have articles on that subject, I'm happy (Bob Farmer's Flim Flam column was my favorite thing in Magic magazine).

I also think that David Regal is onto something with his "Speaking Volumes" article. I'd like to see this explored further.

Jim

Postby Guest » June 10th, 2002, 9:22 am

Let's see...where to begin.
I would like to see more classis close up routines of the old masters.
Sponge balls, coins, rope, silks, cards, etc.
Oh, and maybe articles on building your own gaffs.
And more mentalism too!

That's my two cents worth.

Ed Oschmann

Postby Ed Oschmann » June 11th, 2002, 10:39 am

Recently, I was at the Florida Magicians Association's Convention and had the wonderful oppotunity to see a young man named Shoot Ogawa from Tokyo. To say that I was impressed would be an understatement. I was in true awe.
His coin work is mind-boggling.

Postby Guest » June 11th, 2002, 2:49 pm

Hey Richard,

Here's a suggestion I gave you a while back, let's see if anyone else thinks it's a good idea! ;) I'd also like to see more "general" magic that is non-card. How about asking (or comissioning) some performers who are known for their creative and distinctive presentations (Mac King, Tommy Wonder, John Carney, Johnny Thompson, etc.) to take classics of magic that are available in print (e.g. Greater Magic, Tarbell, Prof. Hoffmann, etc.) and create topical, up-to-date presentations for them. This would take a little pressure off them since they would not be routines from their professional repertoire.

Any thoughts anyone?

Mark

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » June 12th, 2002, 3:25 am

I am a big card fan (what, with a partial faro shuffle to start...?), but I second what others are saying about non-card material. Coins, ropes, sponges, etc. (no restrictions on methodologies--go ahead and print rope tricks with the extra little piece, it's fine with me).

I also second what John Pezzullo says about using material from around the world. I have really enjoyed material from the Japanese and European magicians you've published.

Don't drop cards totally, though!

David Acer

Postby David Acer » June 14th, 2002, 1:00 pm

I feel very strongly (perhaps more strongly than I've ever felt before) that David Regal's "Speaking Volumes" should become a regular column. And if David's not willing to write it, then perhaps someone else with a propensity for reading could step up to the plate (what's Valentino doing?)
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 14th, 2002, 1:07 pm

Originally posted by David Acer:
I feel very strongly (perhaps more strongly than I've ever felt before) that David Regal's "Speaking Volumes" should become a regular column. And if David's not willing to write it, then perhaps someone else with a propensity for reading could step up to the plate (what's Valentino doing?)
I think that's a fantastic idea.

-Jim

Robert Kane

Postby Robert Kane » June 15th, 2002, 1:11 pm

I would like to see modern/detailed write ups of classic close-up routines from top performers of the past along with updates/adaptations/nuances by current performers.

For example, feature classic versions of Cap n'Pence (say by Nate Leipzig and John Ramsay) along with current versions/nuances by modern performers (for example John Carney, Roger Klause, Mike Rogers).

In addition, I love the questions suggested by Peter McCabe. In fact, I think we are pretty much talking about the same sort of approach.

;)

Magicbob

Postby Magicbob » June 16th, 2002, 12:12 pm

Years ago while living in Tokyo, I studied Japanese and got pretty good at it, but never to the point I could read it. The most popular magazine was "Kijutsu Kenkyo" (the study of Magic.) While I coulden't read the Kangi Characters the vast number of illustrations made it all understandable. Get a few of these and put them in Genii - they certainly took enough from Genii.

James Harrison

Postby James Harrison » June 19th, 2002, 9:22 am

I would love to see an issue dedicated to coins, cup and balls, impromtu stuff, anything other than cards.

I like cards, but that seems to be the basis of the magazine.

I wouldn't mind seeing some close-up magican interviews, but guys who are known for things other than cards.

Heck, have a special magazine one shot once a year for it or something, I know I'd pick it up.

Hope some of the other Magicians will back me up on this.

Postby Guest » June 19th, 2002, 1:56 pm

The James Sain Royal departure routine was very nice.I think that the format that you used for kling klang was very nice. Maybe you could put down a varety of methods for one effect(ala kling klang.) Great work though

(speaking volumes was truly excellent)

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » June 23rd, 2002, 1:15 am

How about a brief section for 'finesse' or minor improvements to existing effects ? Just provide the brief idea and a reference to the effect. A notebook kind of thing.

Wouldn't take much space, could provide some valueable ideas - and would provide motivation for digging through effects we may have in our library but which we overlooked.

Jamie.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » June 23rd, 2002, 7:39 am

I would like to see more space dedicated to coins and mentalism. I like Phil Goldstein's columns.

opie

Postby opie » June 23rd, 2002, 10:48 am

Richard, I am saving my money to buy a collected MAGICANA book....

Any thoughts on putting one out???

opie

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 23rd, 2002, 1:42 pm

There will be a collected Magicana book. I had several discussions with Bill Woodfield about it before he died.
One of the big problems is time. I spend all of mine getting Genii out on time every month.
Anyone out there willing to take on the task of scanning all the text from Magiciana onto computer?

opie

Postby opie » June 23rd, 2002, 2:13 pm

Can't help you with the scanning, but I sure want that book....

opie

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » June 23rd, 2002, 6:33 pm

Richard:

Let's talk about scanning and what's involved.

JMT

Postby Guest » June 23rd, 2002, 7:08 pm

How did you manage that one Opie?

opie

Postby opie » June 24th, 2002, 5:14 am

Gibby....don't know....Genii power, I guess (I am not about to say Magic).... :)

opie

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » June 24th, 2002, 3:29 pm

I'm not into variations of existing routines as much as I'm into original plots and new ideas. Complete routines are better than utility moves and slights (for me), and I like seeing the evolution of an idea (from original creator to current performer, for example). Personally, I'm a fan of theory, and the Too-Perfect article was the best thing I've read in Genii, EVER. Anything that stimulates thought and gets the cretive juices going...
Oh, and more mentalism is cool, too.
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 25th, 2002, 11:57 am

I just got a copy of Steinmeyer's "Impuzzibilities", and liked it better than I thought I would.

Stuff like that would be good for Magicana.

Bill

David Acer

Postby David Acer » June 25th, 2002, 3:17 pm

David Williamson does some of the sweetest card work on the planet, and, unlike many of his fellow experts, he is actually able to entertain an audience at the same time.

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2002, 5:58 pm

I agree with David Acer. I saw David Williamson at the Blackpool Convention and he presented some really great Card Magic. He even fooled me with an effect I have been using since it was first published, Paul Harris's Color Stunner, David's Version is sensational.

As for feature articles, I enjoy reading about the lives of Magicians and the challenges they had to overcome. The Harry Loryane article by Jon Racherbaumer was excellent, that combined with a collection of effects was also excellent. The two go hand in hand; it helps to paint a picture of a complete person and their passion for magic.

If possible, I would like to learn a little more about Ricky Jay. ;)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 25th, 2002, 6:16 pm

It will be difficult to learn more about Ricky Jay because he doesn't want anything known. His friends keep quiet. Read a few interviews and you'll see that he spends more time evading questions than answering them.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » June 25th, 2002, 9:07 pm

In case anyone's wondering why the hell I mentioned David Williamson out of the blue, it's because I thought I was posting a reply to the topic-heading CARD STARS OF THE 21st CENTURY. I have no idea how it ended up here under A LOADED QUESTION FOR GENII READERS. Moreover, I ... hey wait a minute... this isn't my house?!?

End Transmission

Return to “Magicana”