Magic Books 2017

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
AJM

Magic Books 2017

Postby AJM » November 12th, 2017, 9:38 am

What do folks think have been the 'must have' magic books published so far in 2017?

Andrew
Corner-boy Begrudger

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Re: Magic Books 2017

Postby Ted M » November 12th, 2017, 10:10 am

Less Is More by Ben Earl is an elegant, thoughtful study of cutting four aces.

Henry Christ's Fabulous Four Ace trick is his starting point. From there he incrementally modifies the trick to remove weaknesses, to enhance the revelations, to allow the spectator to shuffle... until the effect becomes cutting four aces from a freely shuffled deck. The book is a work of theory, practically applied all the way through to develop a good effect into a piece of amazement.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic ... s-is-more/

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » November 12th, 2017, 4:38 pm

Ted M wrote:Less Is More by Ben Earl...

I second.

Richard

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » November 14th, 2017, 3:43 pm

It feels like it has been a quiet year for books.

The highlight of my year has been getting JAMM (www.thejerx.com) in my inbox each month.

As for books - the stand out one for me is Bob Farmer's The Bammo Tarotdiction Toolbox.

I took awhile before ordering it. And that worked out well for me since the supplements that Bob emailed out after the book was published were included with the book. And the supplements are my favourite part of the book. I prefer seeing this principle applied to a full deck of cards rather than a packet. And that is what the supplements focus on.

The book has a lot going for it. A new principle. And easy to do. And my favourite trick - which ends with a shuffled deck in new deck order - allows you to do something that cannot be done by sleight-of-hand or gaffs. It is rare a new principle achieves an effect that cannot really be achieved any other way. I really love playing around with the system that Bob has uncovered. And all this despite the fact I was on a break from card tricks.

Ted M

Postby Ted M » November 14th, 2017, 5:22 pm

Another fruit of this year's publishing harvest is this gorgeous 248-page book of magic posters and supporting essays:

Illusions: The Art of Magic: Posters from the Golden Age of Magic
https://www.amazon.com/Illusions-Art-Ma ... 874397585/

I'm very pleased with mine, and the price can't be beat.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 4th, 2017, 11:53 am

With the Piedrahita and McCabe books on the horizon, 2017 looks decidedly stronger for books.

I own Less is More, and I greatly respect it for what it is: a chronicle of one man's dedication, skill, thought, scholarship, and dare I say, obsession with a single plot. (I view this much like Valentine's remarkable C2P project) However, for me personally, sadly, I don't think I'll ever do any of the versions Mr. Earl describes because that's generally not the type of magic I favor. (I'm in the conceal skill--no possible explanation school). That's not to say it's not a great book for the right person--just not me at this point in time.

One 2017 book that didn't seem to get a lot of run (probably due to it's limited access) is Paul Vigil's outstanding "The Doors of Deception". I love reading deep thinking and detail oriented writers--Mr. Vigil has worked out everything about these real-world routines. The downside of the material is the strength--everything is so worked out, it's so tempting to just adopt it as is.

If anything, all of these books have inspired me to emulate their process--to be diligent enough to do my own research on a plot and learn as many versions of a plot I can get my hands on before trying to develop my own routine. I want to experience the growth and depth these books express instead of just personalizing other people's intact material. Nothing wrong with that, but I want to stretch more in the new year.

Ted M

Postby Ted M » December 5th, 2017, 12:36 am

Derek DelGaudio also has a book coming out in December.

https://www.artofmagic.com/products/a-s ... -two-faces

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 5th, 2017, 6:33 am

Thanks for posting that Ted M--I'll be interested in the reviews. It's hard to tell what the book specifically contains from the ad.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 5th, 2017, 11:41 am

It appears to contain essays and/or art of some sort.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Light From the Lamp”