Quarterly Triumph

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Ryan Matney

Quarterly Triumph

Postby Ryan Matney » May 24th, 2002, 3:14 pm

I really enjoyed the magicana this month.
Just a quick idea should you want to perform Gene Maze's Quarterly Triumph and there is no table availible. I have been doing it this way.
False shuffle and place the deck on the spectator's hand. Now cut the packets off from her hand as you flip some up and some down.

Also, I prefer to use the Walton spread half pass for the last two half passes. Its fits really well.

Has anyone made up the animated Card box yet?
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Quarterly Triumph

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 24th, 2002, 6:10 pm

Ryan, good idea!
The Living Heiroglyphics card box is being sold by a dealer, but I can't remember the name. Just found out yesterday when I stumbled across it on the web. Perhaps it was www.magicwarehouse.com
You've really got to see the way people's eyes bug out when the marks start moving and form the words!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » May 25th, 2002, 11:17 am

Richard,
I saw the effect for sale on Hank Lee's hot list. The odd thing in the description, is it says the cello is openly lowered. That is very different from what was described in Genii. It's more of a puzzle if you do that.

Anyway, I worked out my own version but if I were going to do The Living Heiroglyphics as written, I would place the ace of spades on top of the deck. Force the selection, then control it above the ace. DL and patter about the magnetic properties of the Ace and the effect it has on ink. Turn down the DL and take the top card in Biddle grip.

Pick up the card box and holding the Card logitudinally to cover the secret action, wave the card near the ink. The letters change to spell out the selection, then return to thier original condition.

As a kicker, snap over the "ace" to reveal it has now changed into the selection.

You get more cover by using the card and it makes sense to me.
I hope I didn't say too much about any MO here.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

David Acer

Postby David Acer » May 25th, 2002, 11:55 am

Hi Ryan,

I showed Mazes Quarterly Triumph to some folks at a comedy club last night essentially as youre suggesting (its a good idea!) and I found that if you Faro Shuffle the first two packets together, then drop the last two on as described, the fact that the Aces have face-down cards interlaced between them adds significantly to the climax.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 25th, 2002, 12:20 pm

Actually, Ryan, the idea of concealing the movement of the cellophane is my own, as is the handling to do it. Jason simply slides the cellophane down. It occurred to me, however, that the effect is more magical if the spectators just see the marks start to move and don't know why!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 13th, 2002, 5:07 am

Here is an easier way to do "Quarterly Triumph" --

Effect: You tell the spectator you're going to teach him the "Las Vegas 4-Point Inspection For Marked Cards."

He cuts the deck into four piles. All the piles are examined for marked backs, but nothing is found and the deck is reassembled and tabled.

You then tell him that, in fact, the cards are marked, and that you can immediately find the aces. The deck is spread (by the spectator) and he finds the four aces face-up in the middle.

Method: Four aces on top. Spectator cuts four packets. You pick up the ace packet, push off the top four cards, take them into your other hand in a squared packet.

Spread off some more cards (messily) take them on top of the aces, but keep them jogged, take some more cards, etc.

Now as you take the cards back into your dealing hand to square them, you can easily half pass the aces underneath (there's enough cover to hide an elephant). Rationale:looking for marks on the backs.

Square that packet up (top down: face-down cards, fours aces face-up on bottom). Spectator checks one of his packets for "marks," sees nothing. He drops this packet on the table and you drop yours on top.

Have him check the other packets. Assemble the deck with one of these packets on the bottom and on on top.

End.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 13th, 2002, 12:25 pm

An alternative for reversing the aces to the bottom of the first packet is this:

Spread the packet to show the backs and as you square take a break under the top four cards (the aces).

Shift the packet from the horizontal to the vertical and stick your little finger INTO the break. AS you move the packet back to the horizontal do a pass, but drag the aces AROUND the lower packet. They will end up on the bottom face-up.

I'm sure there is name for this, since everyone reinvents it when playing with the pass. You can cover the move, but moving your hands to the left and then immediately pointing to another packet with the right forefinger.

Return to “Magicana”